We've all been getting into the garden in one way or another ...
It's good to see. And fun.
We've tossed overgrown old pot-plants and dug-up all sorts of things. I love gardening. And in my opinion, gardening is one of the quickest and easiest ways of putting a 'stamp' on a house.
I'm really loving the agaves. I keep finding agave pups everywhere. It's heartening.
I'm also finding lots of asparagus fern. Asparagus fern! You are my nemesis.
But a cactii garden is my friend.
The southern side of the house is described in landscaping circles as 'a small, long strip between the house and the rock-wall boundary'.
I have a lot of respect for the previous owners, but some old dear used the above bathroom windows as an easy outlet for their garbage. So, on clearing this garden bed of asparagus fern, I also had to wrestle with my body's weight in old tissues, cotton buds, bandaids and razor heads and let me tell you, my gag reflex isn't as controllable as it used to be.
Look at the Southern side ... now look at the below images of a Harry Seidler house in Adelaide.
Work with me here.
Zoom-in through the windows ... see the gravel?
Gravel from house-to-wall ... wall-to-house gravel.
I think that's the solution to the below.
Mondo grass.










Hi Carmel, I like your clam shell planter. I found one of those old asbestos one's on the side-o-the-road a while ago, but A wouldn't let me bring it home. Go for the gravel - it'll look great. Just lay it down nice and thick. We have a gravel path - just cheap blue metal, it looks good and we haven't had a single weed in two years! Plus it makes a nice crunchy sound when we walk on it. If you end up buying a Dial hose hanger please let me know how it survives out in the elements - I would like your feedback before I buy one (I've always really liked them) x
ReplyDeleteDo you think the planter is asbestos?! I hadn't thought about that. I did think all the walls were asbestos but they've turned out to be good old plasterboard.So I'm hammering nails in everywhere! I did think a thick layer of gravel and was prepared to do it myself but the Husband wants to pay a professional which I think is a waste of money. The crunchy sound also warns of intruders (ask your Dad). Those Dial hose hangers are the thing. I just don't know what colour to buy.
DeleteThe gravel will be fantastic and less of a termite haven than that garden bed. Fortunately we have no garden beds against the house...but it is just hardened earth...I wouldn't mind some grass though to soften it. And gardening and planting now is the best thing you can do when you first move in! You can let your garden grow while you attend to the rest of the house. xx
ReplyDeleteGrass is lovely. So many different strains now ie shade tolerant and all that. Good point about gardening. It's also good thinking time in the garden. I can't wait for spring to see what flowers. I have plenty of succulents if you want some.
DeleteYou- Harry, Harry- you!!! I see it! Coming along nicely there and good to see the MMMC pups helping in the garden too.
ReplyDeleteYah, I'm channeling Harry S, alright! Only one pup has helped really. The other just scream up-and-down the street and send all the old neighbours to an early grave.
DeleteI vote for the gravel idea too. I just had rock put down from the house to the fence behind my little house and love it.
ReplyDeleteI always respect your opinion Dana. I'll go with the gravel. There's another garden bed on the other side of the house where I can plant some succulents or something akin for the short-term. Our biggest issue here is termites and I've been told to keep garden beds away from the house as it sits directly on a ground-level concrete slab.
DeleteIt looks as though you are making great inroads into the gardening! I think that the gravel would be really nice, we are currently working on something similar ourselves just outside our back door and down the path at the side of the house! xx
ReplyDeleteMondo grass is an attractive fall back.
ReplyDeleteI love walking through it when it;s thick in bare feet.
It will grow anywhere and is a good edging for cement blocks.
Mary, Mary, quite contrary.
My email notifier must be on vacation. Always last to the party. The gravel sounds good, gag reflex notwithstanding.
ReplyDeletexo