Monday, December 8, 2014

Gardening. Gardening. Gardening.

A blog post has been long-over-due. But I fill my weekends with cricket, gardening and moving furniture. There's nothing blog-worthy about any of those activities.


Above is our leopard tree which rapidly lost all its leaves and just-as-rapidly began sprouting new ones. Apparently they do that in Spring. I have read that bromeliads don't fair too well with too much sun. Because our bromeliads have been under a leaf-less leopard tree, they're almost iridescent.


Agaves are indestructible. I can't control them. Or get rid of them!


This cycad. I don't know whether to keep it or dig it up. It's really not my thing, but they're so damned expensive. And what's happening with its centre. Is it dead or alive? Prehistoric things baffle me.



This plant is unknown. It was already in the garden, and because it looks like a Native, I kept it. It's just started sprouting soft, new purple leaves. And thank goodness for all the rain we've had.

Time for some botanical names ...


You know I'm all for Natives ... above is a Grevillea x hybrida 'Bronze Rambler'.


Hello Casuarina glauca 'Cousin It', you fuzzy mound of foliage.


Look at you Banksia Spinulosa nana.


And here's a special new Grevillea Dorothy Gordon. It's meant to have purple/mauve flowers. I'll show when one sprouts.


And here's Pygmy Possum Banksia serrata.


Oh, Christmas. Any day now.

6 comments:

  1. Where did my comment go? I just said anything you write is blog worthy and your garden is looking great. You must be pleased with all the rain at the moment. My garden is looking sad and we'll have to rip most of it up when we repair the retaining wall... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comments disappearing? That doesn't bode well. Repair to retaining wall ... that sounds like a necessary burden. I think we may have to build a retaining wall to level-out the back yard. Hmmm. Keen to hear your experience.

      Delete
  2. Every time I see your bromeliads and agave, I'm consumed with envy. Not my finest moments, admittedly. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden envy ... hilarious. I'd give you a wheelbarrow load of bromeliads and agaves if you lived here.

      Delete
  3. My original comment hasn't show up either???
    Wish we could share cuttings from our gardens...
    Can you email your new address please (I promise not to send you any more kitschy Australiana!)
    I hope you are (all) well. Sounds like you are. Happily pottering around in your garden :)
    I think of you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another missing comment? I can't believe it! I'd give you a wheelbarrow load of cuttings as well. I have mother in law's tongue coming out my ears! Because you are asking me for my new address, I am taking it you haven't received my parcel of kitsch to you. Hmmm, I wonder if I mis-addressed ... I'll email you. Think of you also.

      Delete