Sunday, January 26, 2014

School

2014 hasn't started for me yet. Oh no.

 The week of 28 January 2014 to 31st January 2014 has loomed over my head like Amageddon. In fact, I'm taking the whole week off just to deal with it.

Tomorrow is the start of a week, and year, that will either Make Us or Break Us. 
 
The Solid Gold Dancers have been prepped to step-it-up as we go from lazily mosing across-the-road-to-convent-school to being kitted-up with mobile phones, bus cards and frontdoor keys.


They're now Latch Key Kids and they're the new Kids on the Block with all-four Solid Gold Dancers attending some sort of educational institution spread across the four corners of the city. We are following a strict calendar and timetable and everyone has to suddenly be more responsible. Even Martha is offering to walk herself to Kindy.


Today we did one school bus trial-run for Solid Gold Dancer No. 1.


Unexpectedly and inexplicably we saw a horse.


Lunch boxes loom large.


Hairs have been cut.



The six-monthly au pair search has begun again. (Look at those loveable Koreans.)


School bags are packed and lie waiting near the front door.




And I'm upping the homework-ante by being on the look-out for an industrial-type trestle table for homework purposes, so if anyone sees one, please tell me. I'm mad keen on those hairpin legs.


Good luck if you're facing the Return to School thing.

10 comments:

  1. What's more stressful...the change in routine or the fact that your babies are growing up? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. May the force be with you Carmel! I am only wrangling two and a part time job but after surviving the holidays I just need a Bex and a good lie down! mel x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe Sassy got over there ahead of me! Just saddle up a couple of horses instead of bus passes and you'll be golden! Good luck.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't at all mentally prepared either, Carmel, but we're already three weeks into the routine, school started on the 2nd of January over here. I know!! It's awful! But it's not like we're missing out on lovely days on the beach, though, it's all gloomy winter, so we might as well get back in the saddle... Good luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And so sweet little Martha is going to Kindy. How time flies.

    Mind you I've only just learned what 'Kindy' is after my recent visit to see my Aussie grandkids. Seems to be what we used to call 'Reception' when my own children were that age. (Maybe it still is in the UK, I'm way out of touch.) But now my eldest grandchild will be starting Year One this week in Bondi. I wish I could be collecting her after school as I did for four wonderful weeks last October. This is a lovely time of your life Carmel, continue to embrace it as you clearly do.

    Now back to important stuff like mid-century furniture. I love the hairpin leg desk. Have been looking at similar tables and chairs on websites in my newly re- inspired big love for all things Scandinavian. I recently purchased a wonderful 1962 teak sideboard by Danish designer Ib Kofod -Larsen and love it so much. Add to that our Swedish car 'Sven' ( an old but glorious Volvo 940) and my genuine vintage Norwegian woollen jumper. And my Viking husband ( by Scottish descent). I have a few ceramic bits too - though nothing like your collection!
    Cx






    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not involved but am anxious that all goes well.
    Happy week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know it's scary, but it'll all be fine on the day.
    Your kids will surprise you (or maybe they won't...you probably know they'll catch the right bus etc. I'm sure they've got plenty of chutzpah, just like their Mum)
    I was so anxious on Adelaide's first day of high school. She went from a small primary school in the hills where she was a bit of a legend, to a biggish high school in the city where she knew no-one. honestly she was fine. And so was her little sister.
    Thinking of you and the Solids x

    p.s. I would do my homework if I had a desk like that

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck to you and the solid gold dancers for this big week. They'll be fine - the force is strong with that one (them).x

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hora, the hora!!! I feel your pain Carmel. I agree on the need for a communal homework area. Studying in the bedroom is not as successful now that schools insist they have laptops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're amazing! I'm nowhere near ready for all the high-school/multiple school drop-off logistics/work logistics. Much easier when they are younger and all at the same school. How did it all go? I hope you do a follow-up Post. Bet they all went swimmingly.....xxx

    ReplyDelete