Monday, September 22, 2014

Today

Today deserves no pictures.

But it'll get a list of horrors.

  1. We have no hot water.
  2. We are sponge-bathing using the kettle.
  3. My hair is flat.
  4. Consequently, I've realised I'm going bald.
  5. Caught the bus to work.
  6. Worked for 1/2 hour.
  7. Then paid $40 in taxi fares to teeth-grittingly-drive-the-slow-way-home to deal with a house filled with gas.
  8. Phoned the emergency gas number. 
  9. Was laughed-at by the gas man when he was told there were seven people in the house and we had the smallest hot water system available.
  10. Paid close to $500 for new gas bottles.
  11. Realised I need to buy a bigger hot water system.
  12. Caught the slow-bus back to work.
  13. Was then informed the second gas man dropped-off gas bottles, but singed his eye-lashes off and swore he wouldn't need a haircut for years due to the fire-bomb which hit him when he tried to light the hot water.
  14. Fire alarm activated.
  15. Was advised gas man was shocked, screamed, paced the yard for sometime, and said he never experienced anything like that in his 10-years-in-the-service and then he used copious amounts of our hose water to douse his singed face.
  16. Was advised we need a mechanic to fix the hot water system.
  17. Arranged a plumber who can't come out until Thursday.
  18. Martha threatened the au pair with a butter knife over a play-doh incident.
  19. Martha was banished to her room.
  20. Still have no hot water and the oven and hot plates don't work.
  21. Working on a list of salads for dinners.
  22. A bush turkey was seen strutting in the garden.
My day doesn't get much worse than that. I've had enough.

19 comments:

  1. Gee whiz! I need a lie down after that. Just trying to think of something positive to say - it can only get better can't it!! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, today was much better. Husband returned home and restored some gas! You know what it's like sometimes ...

      Delete
  2. http://foodcomas.com/2011/02/28/chinese-chicken-salad/. Buy rotisserie chicken from grocery store...no cooking. That's all I've got. Your house is seriously beautiful. You'll get the kinks worked out. Happy to hear no one was hurt except for the singed facial hair. Martha is quite a cracker. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha's something else, that;s for sure. I hope she channels her evil for good (at some point before she becomes criminally responsible). Glad to see you're reading. Not much blog action any more. :(

      Delete
  3. Oh no!!! The next time I have a rough day I will think of this as your day really does sound awful. So so so sorry for you, and I hope that tomorrow is a lot better and that the plumber brings good news and a resolution on Thursday. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy. We've cancelled the plumber! The prodigal working husband has returned home and restored order. Even with paid-help it was difficult while he was away! The no-gas situation coupled with Martha's weapon wielding was the proverbial straw. I'm okay now I'm reunited with some shampoo. xo

      Delete
  4. I think I would have stabbed the nearest non-essential tree with the butter knife! Kiss for darling Martha. Terrible day for you Carmel and so glad it is now over as I write this across the globe. In my experience house buying always concludes in horrible discoveries that the overpaid surveyor managed to ignore/overlook. Having said that I absolutely adore and am madly jealous of your new mid-century home. Except for the killer snakes. (And btw, sorry for being a missing person in blogland but stuff has happened.) Cx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. C, so glad you're still reading as well. It's quiet in blogland. Actually, I don't think I have your blog on my roll. Will investigate. Thank you re: comments about home. Snakes had lovely big eyes. They were really only babies. A lot of stuff happens behind blogs. There's a lot happening behind the scenes here. Do you have the chance to see the Australian ABC series 'Brilliant Creatures'? I'm watching it now. I think you'd enjoy it. I hope all is well with you.x

      Delete
  5. Carmel, your day sucked...balls!
    Am I allowed to say that here??? Well it did!
    Also number 13 happened to me whilst lighting an oven in a shared house years ago, but I also lost a full-blown Vidal Sassoon fringe in the process. Not a good look!
    I hope your Tuesday is much nicer x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sucked balls big-time. Head ache and I think I hit my head on the desk at one point, But today is a new day! Vidal Sassoon fringe! I have decided to go short hair. I think my long hair is pulling my forehead back. Put that beautiful photo back on your blog.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. No way Jose!
      (talking photo not you getting the chop)
      x

      Delete
  6. I have gas ... particularly after onion ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was the intention :-) Although I couldn't say it to you using my Flo voice from the movie "Cars" ... that's my favourite line of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Positively putrid.
    When I was a child all houses had gas as electricity was so expensive.
    The geyser for hot water to the bath tended to blow up at regular intervals.
    The gas copper downstairs did the same.
    So gas is a definite no-no in my psyche.
    I'm thankful the spouse returned from afar to do his bit.
    Martha is watch too much daily news thinking a stabbing could be the way to go these days.
    Seriously Carmel, could I do something to help?

    ReplyDelete
  9. my lord that was a bad day. should have called on a neighbour ....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn, that was an awful day. You and Jason should compare notes...glad to hear things are better. I can't wait until Martha starts school and the stuff she will get up to there. If it's any consolation all our pipes are rusted and it won't be long until we will lose water. As it is the water pressure is but a trickle! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had a water system that was so rotten the base fell out when they lifted it away and the Scottish plumber screamed and ran after sighting a venomous snake. It was a blue tongue. Short hair makes life so much easier and you look groomed even when frazzled. At least Martha will get cheap legal advice! There are worse days! X

    ReplyDelete