Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Featherstone in the study nook

Yesterday, thanks to the beady-eyes of Brismod, I was able to buy an original Grant Featherstone D350 Dining chair from the Contour Series made in 1951 to about 1954. You can read more about Grant Featherstone here if you're so inclined.


I'd never seriously yearned for a Featherstone given many of the Australian designer's chairs feature in Museums and Art Galleries, so I'd always thought they were something I'd never get a chance to own.


This little one was part of a set of four which came from the Donald Spencer house I blogged about recently. So I'm pretty stoked to own it. Like everything I own, it's in desperate need for restoration, but I think when this gets done it'll look gorgeous.

My husband says I've 'made it' now I can say "There's a Featherstone in the study nook".

He was clearly being facetious ... but there is, there is a Featherstone in the study nook! Mind you, there's nothing to study in the study nook because that's a work-in-progress.

Grant Featherstine's surviving wife, Mary Featherstone, is an influential name in design in children's education, which may explain why ABC's Playschool's reading chair forever has been a Grant Featherstone.


There's a chair in there, indeed!

4 comments:

  1. Yay for your great purchase, and yay for Anita's good eye! That chair will be a stunner when you fix it up. Any ideas yet on how you'll upholster it? I can't wait to see what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have made it!
    I am green with envy!
    One day I will join this "featherston" club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure if you knew this existed. I thought this should be part of your life.

    http://www.doorsixteen.com/2015/07/17/moomin-by-ivana-helsinki/

    Cheers,
    em-jay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks em-jay. I was unaware. My eyes are now open and I am having a look!

      Delete