Today, I had an absolute blast visiting a 1961 Donald Spencer designed Mid-Century home in my suburb. I have to thank Brismod for tipping me off about the Open House. The only downer was that a lot of MC afficionados couldn't attend. So I was really on my own. I can safely say it's probably good that there weren't the usual MC suspects because I was flipping-out and to have a whole house of people flipping-out may have been a bit much.
Admittedly, the house needs a lot of work, but if someone buys this home, who appreciates its provenance and potential, this house will end-up being completely mindblowing.
There are terrazo and parquetry floors everywhere in perfect condition. The original owner, Mr Theodore Raymond, is now 99-years-old, and has lived in the house since it was built. Sadly, he is now in aged care but comes home every week to visit his home and sit on the front verandah looking at the view.
Below is a photo of him. Reportedly, he was the celebrity hairdresser of the 60s and 70s, very flamboyant, and his home was a renowned party venue. There's a link to a Courier Mail article about him.
I won't say much more, but it was an absolute thrill and privilege to visit this home. I spoke to the owner's carer who, just like the real estate agent, is desperate for someone to purchase the home who appreciates it for what it is and will bring it back to what it once was. It was touching to see how close she is to Mr Theodore and how proud she also is of the house.
Photo from here. Read the article about Mr Raymond. You'll love it.
Above is a copper bar. It matches the copper front door and a copper-fronted storage cupboard on the back patio. The whole house is really open and free-flowing, making easy to imagine the parties that were once held here.
Blue-stone wall ... a Kenmore staple.
Despite the evidence that the home is lived in by someone quite aged, it is clear, that in its day, this house would have been something really very special and exciting.
There's that copper door!
There were great pieces of furniture everywhere.
The above lamp was my favourite thing. It looks Italian and I was told it comes apart for easy cleaning. Look at how it illuminates the ceiling.
The bedroom cabinetry is built-in and painted glossy red and blues. So super.
Those curtains are lucky they're still hanging there. I was this close to shoving them down my shirt front.
Those tiles!
That Vibratone!
So much to love.
Photos are a bit shoddy, but you get the picture. What a gem. What do you think?!



























I pray someone brings that place back to life. What a gem for someone who appreciates the era and the architecture. Thanks for posting this Carmel. I think I would've gushed too much if I had visited the home!! xx
ReplyDeleteSimply amazing! That door left me practically speechless.
ReplyDeleteSimply amazing! That door left me practically speechless.
ReplyDeleteWhat were people on the ground saying at the OFI, Carmel? Lapping up the originality or sizing up the McMansion which could go on the site? The door is simply fabo and I can see you doing a Fraulein Maria on these curtains.
ReplyDeleteIt would be lovely for him and a buyer if it could be sold with contents. Was the kitchen original? My parents had that dining setting but the 9 of us trashed it. They still have the table and sideboard.
ReplyDelete