Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Air-conditioner

The house came with one of those split-system air-conditioning units which was hidden by a mess of foliage smack-bang in the middle of the front feature wall. Gradually, we have been clearing the foliage and what we were left with was a hideous compression unit for all to see.


It's always irked me, and apart from that, I figure do we really need it? The house is lined with windows which we can open in Summer, and though it has been freezing this winter, we've survived without it (it has refused to work for some months as if it's known its days were numbered). And if one is going to subscribe to the theory of Global Warming, one should make a small contribution to halt its progress.


On the inside, we had this monstrous unit. It's hideous.


So I got some bloke in to remove it and cart it away.


But in removing it, we've been left with a fist-sized hole inside and an even larger hole on the outside.

Who does that to a feature wall?


So, I'm now faced with having to get a bricklayer in to replace about five bricks. But how does one replace 60s era bricks of a certain hue? One letterbox drops similar coloured brick homes and crosses one's fingers!


Yesterday, Trevor from one of the homes I letterbox dropped phoned me. He said he had some bricks and some other neighbours he knew also had some bricks. He said I could drop by in the morning to have a look or contact the neighbours and see what they had kicking around.

On visiting Trevor, he showed me the bricks he had lying in his orchid shed - exact colour, size and make as our bricks. Good old Trevor. Trevor showed me the renovations he'd done to his house in the 70s, his series of wooden rocking horses that he makes, his bassoon from his professional musician days with the Queensland Symphony Orchestra, and he gave me some tips on growing staghorns.


The sad thing is that neighbours like Trevor are getting old and either moving to nursing homes or they're dying. I almost feel like knocking on all the houses just to meet them all before its too late.




4 comments:

  1. Good on you for doing the letterbox drop! And here you thought they'd all think you were some crazy lady. I agree with your comments about Trevor. We should all meet the "Trevors" of our street. My parents are in their 80's and they have lived in the same house for over 50 years. They can tell you everything you would want to know about the people and houses around them ... if anyone was interested and if development didn't keep encroaching on them. Here here to remnant brick borders & staghorns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like those bricks They have a handmade look about them. You are really fortunate to have such precious neighbors.
    Do you have your house insect screened? I'd say that was a must in summer.
    But I do agree that the air con with its holes had to go .

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like those bricks They have a handmade look about them. You are really fortunate to have such precious neighbors.
    Do you have your house insect screened? I'd say that was a must in summer.
    But I do agree that the air con with its holes had to go .

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good old Trevor. I am so glad he came through with the goods. Though I know a certain 13 year old who may be disappointed he doesnt have to do a midnight camo crawl and abscond with some heavy rectangular objects from a neighbours yard.

    ReplyDelete