Monday, August 17, 2015

Books

I am still committed to minimalism and only having things around which are useful or beautiful.

Which is why I bought a new niece the below wooden clown - originally designed in the 1950s by Gunnar Florning. I like it so much I might have to get a couple more. Only a couple. Any more would be excessive. They come in different colours and can be positioned in different poses.


Last night I read the below book. I had bought it for the eldest Solid Gold Dancer along with a pile of books which I was hoping she'd read and then she'd throw herself completely into Capital 'L' Literature. My plan hasn't paid off as I'd hoped and has only resulted in a surplus of orange-spined paperbacks.


Probably not such a bad thing she hasn't read The Big Sleep. The poor old General who hires the PI at the heart of the story has a couple of wanton daughters with various vices which they seem to enjoy too much. It could end-up confusing the poor child or sending her all giddy.


I'm now looking forward to reading "In Cold Blood" which I read years ago. I've forgotten the thrust of the story but remember it being a fabulous read.

Interestingly, Capote included the below dedication. Which is poignant given I've also started Harper Lee's second book.


I've got to say, it hasn't grabbed me yet. 


Have you read it? Thoughts? Sick of winter? Sick of kids being sick? Me too.


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's lovey to read these newest posts of yours C . A treat.
    (I meant to comment on the last one but I just didn't get around to it - work is a tough gig - sucking the life out of me at the moment...)
    I love Winter and jasmine.
    I haven't read Go Set A Watchman (and prob won't) I have read Cold Blood (like you, yonks ago. Should revisit)
    And the Gunnar clown is the first clown I've clapped eyes on I've actually liked.
    Forgive crap comment. Hope you're (all) well, love K x

    ReplyDelete
  5. For starters, that clown has hit a weak spot.. I really have never taken to the clown thing, but this little chap could remove the bias.
    I love that vase and can almost smell the jasmine.
    Wait a mo it's growing outside the window.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS. I was reminded of the bad old days of my schooling, at the age of your of your first beloved, we had to wade through Essays of Edison and multiple Dickens' boredom. which we were informed was comic writing!
    I have a dvd of "The Big Sleep" with one of my favourite actors - Humphrey Bogart. An oldey but a goodie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry. Essays of Addison. Although Edison's essays had to be read as well. But his were based on science and his inventions. so more interesting..

    ReplyDelete