Saturday, September 19, 2015

Shocked


We're cat minding at the moment. I don't mind minding the cat. But I'm yet to get used to finding feathers everywhere and a disemboweled pigeon at the foot of Martha's bed. It took all my gumption to clean up the carnage and shield young eyes from the gore.


It's enough to make me think about getting a vegan poodle. 

But for now, a sloppy joe will just have to do.


I think some time ago I alluded to having a study. Well, we managed to carve one out of an old recessed area and cupboard.



I did most of the hard work and Marie Kondo helped me get rid of some of the clutter.


Then we got a man to polish the parquetry and then another man to make the desk and shelves out of baltic pine plywood. He did a pretty good job, and we've been studying our hearts out ever since.


I do love a mid-century house but the small renovations we've been doing aren't that true to form. Should I feel guilty?





I'd like to eventually get an Arne Jacobsen wall lamp to replace the current non-descript lamp. That'll bring in some Mid-Century style.


These books are good reads for a five-to-six year old. One has no words and one has no pictures. 


Here's my girl wearing her pride socks as she rollerskates everywhere.


And I've also been gardening. We got another man in to help design a plan for the front yard. But ye Gods it's expensive to get those plans implemented by the professionals, so we've taken his ideas and began the slow process ourselves.


Can't be that hard, surely.


It'll be a mostly Australian Native garden with Casuarina Cousin Its, Green Wallum Bottle Brushes, a Corymbia Summer Beauty, Lomandras, Liriopes, dietes grandifloras, some lillypilly cascades and a Blueberry Ash.



All covered in tea tree mulch to keep the termites away.


We've done the two side gardens and I have to mull-over the main garden because that's where I'll need a bob cat and some help from the pros.


What have you all been up to?

13 comments:

  1. Gracious, you've been a busy bee! Everything looks wonderful.
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been busy, but there's a lot more to do.I'm looking forward to that garden getting bigger. Some of the Natives have some really nice flowers. They'll warm the cockles of your Canadian heart.

      Delete
  2. Gracious, you've been a busy bee! Everything looks wonderful.
    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything is looking great! I don't feel the least bit guilty mixing new modern and mid-century. In fact, I like it more than a "time capsule" look, which looks a little forced for my taste. I think what you're doing is perfect for your needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana. I can't do a time capsule. It's too difficult.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It is pretty effective at keeping the books off the floor and the kids doing their homework. How are you?

      Delete
    2. Ok C. Hanging out for school hols. Anth and I are going to Tassie so I am just a little bit excited about that. How are you?

      Delete
    3. Oh and p.s. saw the latest Woody flick a few weeks ago. Didn't really like it. Not an Emma Stone fan for starters. Have you seen it?

      Delete
  5. It is all looking good! I love the study nook and the garden is coming along nicely :). I still have more work to do in my front garden. Always difficult when the kids want to 'help'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are any number of ground cover native plants. I like grevillia (ignore spelling mistakes).
    If you look through the native plant you will be surprised.They grow fairly quickly and also have
    have beautiful flowers. When they grow they hold all the soil in place.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That roller skate + sock combo gives me life :) Precious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it that your still here when I visit, can I have a go of those rollers?
    Great nook too!

    ReplyDelete