Does Christmas deserve its own post? Maybe it does. It's a lot of hype for just one day though. Can't say I've ever really nailed the perfect Christmas Day. I'm not sure what the key is. The food aspect is fairly easy. The balance of gifts I find tricky - there's either too much or not quite enough. And juggling family is the other thing. Haven't mastered that, I've got to say.
Star Wars and Peanuts featured fairly largely in our house. We've pegged the next two Star Wars movies and can tell you how the plots will play out. Just because we love to theorise.
Get this ... Despite the Husband admitting that he never really got Peanuts, he got the above gift.
Hello Rocco, the cat who keeps giving, or returning. Rocco had his own Christmas feast of a small rodent under my bed. Yum. Fur. Tail. Innards.
Summer's hit. Cricket games are due to return and we're roller skating like we're training for the next Derby.
The mixture of heat and drenching rain is seeing the native garden slowly establishing themselves.
Above is the Corymbia Summer Beauty about to burst into blossom, and below is my first Wild Iris (not a Native and ubiquitous in suburban malls, but I grit my teeth).
Sprinkling is fun. Robin Boyd would approve. Or maybe he wouldn't being so scathing of suburbia and all but I'll forgive him because he really did nail a house design.
What this Christmas has done is make me think of the elderly people around me. Three days before Christmas I was informed that the previous owner of our house was to have his funeral on the 23rd December 2015. That day a letter arrived addressed for him and his wife with the below stamps. Computer savvy Solid Gold Dancer #1, who'll solve the Middle Eastern crisis with her computer skills, googled the below stamps and announced that the 5c stamp was produced in 1968 and the Charles and Di stamp was produced in 1982. What does that mean? Someone can't afford, or be stuffed going to the post office, or someone figures time's up, I may as well use the mint stamp collection before it's too late?
I really live in a great suburb, with a lot of lovely neighbours and great houses. I have some more posts about those houses in the wings when I get around to it.xo
I was hoping for a post from you (you usually trot one out at this time a year, when you're on holidays?)
ReplyDeleteIt's lovely to read you Carmel. I miss you and 'the gang"
Sounds like things are good in your hood which is...good.
Looking forward to a sticky at those houses.
Love, Kylie x
p.s. did you hear about the Iwanoff that burnt down? Devastating.
Hi Kyles! So good to hear from you. I have a number of posts of some cool houses, but really need to make the time to get them right. I heard on instagram about the Iwanoff house. Of course there was no coverage of it here, so I googled as much as I could. There was a story on Domain.com. So devastating. Such an iconic and important residence with much expense and effort into renovating it beautifully. Do they know how it started? I quite possibly couldn't go on if it were my place. Love to you.xo
DeleteIt is so good to hear that the plaque now has a permanent home on your wall :D
ReplyDeleteCan't believe I have a Reader in Iceland!
Delete