Sunday, December 27, 2015

John Dalton House Fig Tree Pocket

Around the corner in Fig Tree Pocket is a house which has recently gone to auction. Things were looking a bit tentative in terms of its future.


On one hand it was designed by, and residence to, one of Brisbane's pre-eminent mid-century architects - John Dalton.




On the other hand, its overall condition is extremely poor. So, it requires either demolition or a substantial renovation. Having said that, some of its aspects with regard to deterioration, reminds me of our place!


The square-planned house has a flat-roof with ventilating sun-lights, something which I think Dalton was wont to incorporate as it was suitable for the Queensland environment. Ironically, however, there is a lot of water damage to the ceilings.



Regardless of the water damage, the house was beautiful. Like a museum of 60s intellectual and artistic Australian domesticity.



A couple of Solid Gold Dancers trouping about the place ... design rubbing off on them .... seeping into their subconsciousnesses. I love that timber open kitchen. Love it.


Yes, that's an original photo/poster of English model Jean Shrimpton and her photographer/lover David Bailey. I could have ripped it off the wall.


And inside one of the bedroom wardrobes, obviously the wardrobe of the equivalent of Solid Gold Dancer Numero Uno, were clippings of 60s rock stars and models. It was like stepping back in time.





I can't really say much more other than I hoped the whole damn thing could be preserved in one way or another.


To me it also demonstrated that a family home can be so simple and beautiful. Now-a-days, there are so many homes which look exactly the same and appear styled within an inch of their marbled benchtops and karate-chopped cushioned lives.




Who doesn't love some dried Natives displayed in studio pottery ware?



It's a sanctuary, isn't it?!


Those dogs look thirsty though.



I love these ubiquitous square brown tiles. I could scoop them up and eat them. I wonder if they're still produced?








I was informed by the real estate agent, that at some time during the Open House period (despite the thirsty guard dogs), one of the house's windows was inadvertently left open, and someone stole the above Charles Blackman print. This particular print is called "The Presentation". It's a lot more orange and vibrant in real life, and is presently hanging on someone's wall. Appalling really. I'm ashamed that could have happened.


So, this is just one of a handful of John Dalton homes in Brisbane's western suburbs. He also designed the neighbouring house - so they look like siblings sitting next to each other on the road.

I've been informed the house has been purchased by a sympathetic couple whom I hope will preserve the house as much as possible. I apologise to them now as I will be watching with a stalker-like interest in their developments.

I'm not afraid to stop the car and offer my unsolicited opinion. An example of that can wait for the next post ...

9 comments:

  1. Ah! How I miss blogging when I read your occasional posts! Some mates of mine bought the lounge room furniture - they are thrilled to have this little piece of the original home. Keep stalking this place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's fabulous that some of the furniture has passed to the right people. By God, I wanted that photo of Jean. I could have gladly adopted some pottery too. I can't help but stalk as I drive passed almost daily and have a habit of swerving into oncoming traffic. There's also an Hays and Scott across the road which is dying for a knock on the door! I think its chimney needs a hug!! I miss blogging too, but such a lot of effort. I'll do the BOH houses next, and then I'll retire for a year. Thanks for the comment btw.xo

      Delete
  2. Okay but that bathroom sink has to go.
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For an architect's house, it was fascinatingly basic. A moose would fix that bathroom in a matter of seconds, I suspect. Send one over.

      Delete
  3. It was a treat to see this house. Thanks Carmel. The art alone was enough to make me sigh. Love from one brown tile lover to another xxx

    p.s. Are you hugely into instagram? Can I look without posting(?) anything? I miss you guys, but there are no karate-chopped cushions round here and I can't be bothered taking photos of our acrylic benchtop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do put more things on Instagram than here. Did you get off it completely? Of course you can look at people's posts without commenting. I do that all the time. I really only comment when I feel like it. I think if you take Instagram for what it is, fairly superficial and a great advertising medium for small business, then you shouldn't feel guilty for not investing a lot of time in terms of meaningful comments. We are currently in the middle of snake-in-the-car drama. You could watch that unfold (hopefully, happily unfold). Bloody cars are a minefield of nooks and crannies, I have discovered!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, what an amazing time capsule. I would love to get my hands on that house and/or it's contents!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi C,
    this:
    http://www.studiohomeonline.com/the-messervy-house/
    came to my attention this morning and I thought you'd like it as much as I do?
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Actually, click this link:
    http://www.messervyhouse.co.nz/
    it's much better.

    ReplyDelete