Friday, February 19, 2016

Flowering grass tree

One of my Xanthorrhoeas is flowering.



It's pretty exciting given these plants grow an inch a year, and you can't tell if they're dying because it can take three to four years for one to die.

So to see a flower is miraculous. 

I've read they can be propogated from seed, but then it takes about a year for a seed to germinate so, again, something to hold one's breath for.

There's some amazing specimens growing on a footpath near us, I'll share in the next exciting episode.

4 comments:

  1. So cool! If that grows in the U.S., I'm not familiar with it. Can't wait to see more plant photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I think if they grew in the US, it'd be in a botanical garden.They're Australian Natives and protected. You have to buy plants from nurseries and each one has a registered number.

      Delete
  2. Nice to see miracles do happen.
    My Mum paid big bucks to have one of these transplanted in her garden. The first one carked it, but its replacement is going gang-busters.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet your mum was upset when she knew the first one died. I have one which is not doing as well, so I'm nervous about that. I've quickly learned that Native plants aren't as hardy as many people make out.

      Delete