Haven't blogged for a while. Been busy with work, and getting used to various Solid Gold Dancers at new schools and then, suddenly, we find a mid-century house to buy and then, we did.
It is quite neat and functional. It needs some work. The whole purchase process was extremely stressful but we're through that now and pretty-much settled in.
The garden is bursting with agaves, bromeliads, draceanas and a prickly thing which I'm yet to identify.
I had images of an Australian Native garden, but now I'm toying with the idea of a Mexican-inspired garden with succulents and tropicals. That,s the joy of having your own place, you can do whatever-the-hell you like.
Look at Mary. Bless her little-grotto-near-the-clothes-line. She's staying there.
Here's a cracking big brown pot.
And here's some bromeliads I've potted hoping they'll take root and I can stick them in the ground somewhere.
The house was designed in 1968 by Griffin and Knowlman - a building company which built a large number of houses in the Western suburbs during the 60s, 70s and 80s. Clerestory windows stretch the length of the house.
And there are crazy design features such as odd-internal windows, and a couple of bedroom doors with vacant space above the door jams. Air flow I'm guessing.
And a series of rough-sawn oregon beams stretch the width of the house.
And a series of rough-sawn oregon beams stretch the width of the house.
And then there's the 'laundry shute' between the bathroom and laundry. We're all happy and in-love.













Hi Carmel,
ReplyDeleteI love what you've showed us of your home sweet home (and garden)
What is that room beyond the (most awesome) b&w striped awning?
I am jealous of your celestory windows, laundry shute, amber glass exterior light and of course your grotto. (jealous, but very happy for you)
I'm also glad to see a post from you here -I have given instagram the flick so I'm glad you haven't completely forsaken your blog because I like to know what you're up to :)
I am planning to up the anti blog-wise although, as we both know planning and doing are two different things!
x
Hi Kylie,
DeleteI always thought you wouldn't like instagram. That says a lot about you. I plan on blogging more now we have a computer (we've survived for about 6 months without one!) and I have something to blog about. I'll try and blog more often. I think it's time for 'post-instagram'. The room behind the awning is a detached potting shed/workroom. I have plans to turn it into a playroom/tv room ... but it needs to be sealed and have a proper ceiling installed. Then, of course, we need to work out where to put the bikes and mower etc. This place isn't perfect, but it has a lot of potential. I love it and finally feel happy because everything we have, finally fits and I can garden!xo
I've been anxiously awaiting this post for years! I knew you'd pick a winner. I love the outdoor spaces, the clerestory windows and all the light. The greenery is spectacular! I'm very excited for you. Looking forward to seeing more. We submitted plans for our house to the county 2 weeks ago and are eagerly awaiting the okay to move forward. I'll keep you posted. Glad you've returned to blog land. I'm not an instagramer so I haven't been able to see your photos. Congratulations to you...
ReplyDeleteIt has been years, hasn't it? It needs a heap of work. I've shown you the best bits. Maybe my next post can be about the worst bits. Can't wait to see your plans come to life. I sense a-turning against instagram (it's so immediate though).
DeleteI'm absolutely delighted for you that you found just the right house for your family. I know you've waited patiently for this day to come. I'm in love with the house AND the yard. I can't wait to see more!
ReplyDeleteI've never really gotten into Instagram in a big way, and I'm so happy to hear that there will be blog posts from you and Kylie soon. For a while I felt like everyone else had jumped ship, and I was very lonely. :)
Thank you, Dana. I'm probably most excited about the garden. It's so much cheaper to fix-up than renovating a house. I also haven't been able to comment on blogs for so long, having relied on my phone.
DeleteOh wow, so exciting to hear your news!! It all looks wonderful and I'm so happy for you!! So many lovely memories to be made in that house...
ReplyDeleteI hope so ... memories-wise. There's a bit of 'sharing' going on. We have to sacrifice a bedroom for an au pair for the next six-months. This place is a bit smaller than we're used to!
DeleteSo lovely to hear from you Carmel, and congratulations on the move into your own digs.
ReplyDeleteSome mornings, with my head pressed against the warmth of old Olivia, as I squeeze milk into the bucket between her legs, I think of you suited up and heading into the City.
I too have ditched IG, perhaps a change is a'comin'. Hope you've managed some time off over these school holidays.
Fiona, I'm glad you think of me in at those precious moments. I've had these holidays off thank goodness. They've gone way too quickly. Wish we all had some more rain.
DeleteYou're back! You're alive! Missed you! You have a house! (I'm getting shouty!)
ReplyDeleteI've missed you. You never got on instagram. I haven't had a computer for decades. Good to be back.
DeleteLooks sublime! Can't wait to get you on the blog xx
ReplyDeleteHa! Not sure we're at that point yet! So many beautiful houses on your blog!
DeleteSo pleased for you, looking forward to seeing more home posts! ...if of course you can handle baby posts? x
ReplyDeleteWoo hoo! Glad to see you have a place to call your own, even though it's not one of the ones I kept emailing you about via my real-estalking ;-) I was wondering whether the new house had room for any Korean au pairs. Looks like bunking will be in style for awhile. The laundry shute reminds me of a house we nearly bought in Gladstone. It had been built for a US exec who'd come out to help set up the smelter. Lots of fancy timber work and the coolest thing of all, besides a laundry shute, a dumb waiter!!! Sadly we didn't buy it :-( Looking forward to more mid-century coolness commentary from you xxx
ReplyDeleteHi there! I've been thinking of you and wondering how it's all going. So great to read you are settled in and fantastic to see pics of your new house!! I love it!! It looks so interesting with the internal windows etc and I totally love a laundry chute. Mum used to drag me round to display homes when I was little and I always remember one particular one with a laundry chute. It just screamed adventure/secret tunnel and I loved it. I'm not much of a garden person normally, but I'm really looking forward to doing ours in the new house too surprisingly. I love your swan plant holder!! Very happy you're back. Enjoy your new digs. x
ReplyDeleteI commented before but it's been so long since I've done this (read and commented on a blog post) I've forgotten how and it didn't publish. What I said was along the lines of OMG I love your house, and I'm so very happy for you all. Xxx
ReplyDeleteHello lovely Zigsma! Long time- no blog. Nice to read you!
DeleteSo glad to see you back here. Congratulations on the new pad! Love the laundry-chute, brings back memories of when I used to use ours as a short cut to get downstairs :-) As much as I like living in the colder climes, we cannot grow those lush tropical plants, so sad. Did the Kids fight over the bedrooms or does the eldest get first dibs? x
ReplyDeleteI barely have time to read a blog let alone Instagram. So glad you're back. Is the Bitossi out and about? Have I speed read and missed it? Are you still local? One day we will have coffee and Mc Croons and look at our tall, mouthy ex toddlers. So lovely to read every one again!
ReplyDeleteNice to see Swannee in your garden. It wouldn't seem right without her at the front entrance. Mary is lovely. Do you still have Cupcake Jesus and is he up and about in the new pad.
ReplyDeleteI have one word for you, Carmel. Groovy!