Saturday, October 6, 2012

How to get an au pair (accompanied by unrelated images)


There's no way in the world I could leave home for work at 07:15hrs and return home at 18:00 hrs, five days a week, without some sort of assistance. It's impossible.

So, I thought I'd explain how we get our au pairs and then I'd explain what they do for us. 

Thus far, we've had two au pairs. I expect we'll need to source at least another four, over a period of two years, before Martha starts school.

First, I contact an Australian au pair agency, which I found on the web, to arrange for an au pair. In Australia, au pairs come out on 'working visas'. Part of the conditions of a 'working visa' is that the holder can only work in one place for a maximum of six-months. Hence, the six-month au pair turn-around. After six-months, an au pair will generally take off and see the sites.


Korean H leaves us just before Christmas, so I have to start arranging to have her replacement arrive in January 2013.

To start, I will draft a "Letter to Au Pair" which explains our family, where we live, what the au pair can expect to do, what she'll be paid etc etc. I'll send that and some photos of the children to the agency, pay a deposit and they then source a handful of girls (based on my parametres eg. non-smoker, some experience with children, some grasp of English, Michelin Star chef ...) for me to interview via Skype.


In choosing an au pair, you can request girls (or boys) who are native English speakers, or girls whose English is a second language I have not yet considered a native English speaker as an au pair, only because I've figured that native English speakers (Canadians, Americans, Irish) have a culture that is too similar to ours, and I'd prefer someone who can share the differences in her culture with us, and hopefully my children will become more culturally aware. Martha, for instance, now thinks every Asian person comes from South Korea. Not that culturally sensitive, but she's only three.


After reviewing the photos and information given to me by the agency, we'll decide which girls we'll Skype with. Every girl is registered with another overseas au pair agency and they have had a police check and provide work and character references. They are generally between 18 and 26 years of age. You can ask for any sort of qualifications, and pay more if you want a qualified Nanny or someone whose English is close to perfect.

I don't want an au pair who is a qualified nanny, and up 'til now fluent English hasn't been a concern. I've been surprised by how quickly both our au pairs have improved their English after staying with us.


Once we've interviewed a few girls, we quickly decide on who we feel is most suitable. I'm drawn to girls who are enthusiastic, down-to-earth, interested in the children and show some effort in remembering their names and faces. For me choosing an au pair is not so much about Nationality but more about personality.


After selecting an au pair, and making a verbal agreement with them that they'll take on the job, we then pay about $700.00 to seal the deal and sign a contract with her. And then it's a matter of waiting for her to arrive! The Au Pair arranges all the visa requirements, plane trip etc. We just pick her up at the airport.


We have been very lucky with our two au pairs, but particularly so with Korean H. I'll tell you soon what she does and how we go about living with a stranger in the mix.



13 comments:

  1. wouldn't it be fun to write and illustrate a kids book one day? i fantasize about that sometimes...
    and i somewhat the local au pair these days, one baby after the other passing through my arms. fun! and challenging too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sara, I used to once toy with the idea of writing a children's book, but found I had no way of illustrating one. And now I've realised that the really good children's books are just that, really good, and to match them would be very difficult. Standards.

      You'd be wonderful with small people. I have a January 2013 start date.

      Delete
  2. Really interesting post - look forward to the next installment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post MMMC, it sounds like the best childcare for your family! I look forward to your next installment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for explaining the process to us. I found this a very interesting post and look forward to the next installment. Until recently, when Grandson #1 started pre-school, my SIL has taken care of both boys on days when the store is closed, and his mother and I have had them the rest of the week, so my daughter has had no experience looking for an au pair. I was curious about the six-month turnaround, and now I understand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to be able to keep children at home for as long as possible. Martha though is desperate for friends and will talk to anyone in an attempt to communicate with others her size.

      Delete
  5. Now that's a story with pictures.
    It seems you are a contributor to the Northern Territory News with that sign about crocodiles.
    I'd like to try out Child #1's new bike.
    Perhaps you could widen your au pair requirements to include ironing, matriculating standard Maths, Physics and Chemistry, and clothes folding and putting away.
    Also martini mixing to coincide with your coming through the door of an evening.
    With a tweak of lemon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate martinis, DMC. Korean H has helped Solid Gold Dancer #3 and #1 with their maths. She's returning to Korea to study physics.

      Delete
  6. It's so interesting! Bit daunting I suspect, for both parties, but it must be sad to see such a good person go off into the blue yonder after such a short period of time.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SarahB, it takes a while for the various parties to feel comfortable with each other. Boundaries etc. Language issues, cultural differences, hormone swings. Really.

      Delete
  7. Interesting to read! In Norway having an au pair is associated with wealth, and it's quite controversial as well, due to some newspaper articles about the working conditions for especially au-pairs from the Philippines. Where I live it's very rare to have an au pair, mainly because there are not that many financial jobs etc that require looong hours and pays more than average. But things would be different if we had the working hours like Australia (my friend Ida lives in Warrangbool).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arctic Mum, I'm not sure how many Australian families have au pairs. I'm sure there are quite a few. Having an au pair is cheaper than sending a young child to 'day care'. We did that with some of the older children and it costs about twice as much. This way we avoid the cess pit of germs that day care centres often are. But you need the space for an au pair, and luckily we have room for one. I need to look up Warrangbool.

      Delete
  8. Have to add to that: the day care in Norway are highly susidized by the government, so everyone can afford it. And the kindergarten is of very high quality as well. We have very different political systems - very interesting to read about too:)

    ReplyDelete