This weekend the Solid Gold Dancers, their parents and grandparents, hung at the Queensland Art Gallery.
We were there for one reason only, and that was to marvel at our gorgeous Aunt who was giving a lecture tour of the Portraits of Spain exhibition.
We all learned a lot and basked in her intellectual cleverness.
Then we headed back to her place and cut loose with my brother, who for want of anonymity, we'll call 'Dr Rock'.
I found myself transported back to circa-1996 when I used to do a lot of, for want of a physiological term, 'rock fingers'.
Dr Rock's just returned from touring the States.
He has instruments coming out of his proverbial 'subwoofer'.
He has instruments coming out of his proverbial 'subwoofer'.
It was all very rock-and-roll, and we all chilled under the artworks, and spun some LPs like it was the 70s all over again.
There's been some gift-receiving lately. Thank you to those lovely ladies who've been so kind and generous.
I'm not sure there are many more books with the heroine 'Martha' for Martha's Godmother to give her, but somehow she musters one everytime.
And I picked up this little beauty on the footpath yesterday (not the bear, the chair). I think one of our elderly neighbours made it by hand. We knocked on their frontdoor before we stole it, but no one was home, so I won't know for sure.
And while we were cruising around our inner-city suburb this afternoon looking for more junk, we literally did a double take. We saw what we thought was a stuffed peacock in someone's driveway. Because sometimes people like to have stuffed peacocks in their driveways. But after a speedy u-turn we realised, much to our shock, that it was a real peacock strutting about.
I asked a woman, who was chucking what I'd call 'rubbish' on the footpath, what the story was, and she said there was an ostenation (my word not hers) of peacocks in our locale. Dumped by some thoughtless aristocrat in years gone by ...
We even spotted his girlfriend.
I hope no aristrocrat's dumped any panthers.





















LOL to the Panthers, what a groovy artie family you have, I approve! Can I come next time? :) ....I have some dance moves to share!
ReplyDeleteOnly that couple in my family are arty. The rest are pretty run-of-the-mill. I like this couple because they are very down-to-earth and full of surprises.
DeleteI love the Solid Gold Dancers. They are solid. GOLD.
ReplyDeleteThank you, Kylie. The Solid Gold Dancers were really not doing anyone any favours and I 3/4 of them with their father who took them to the museum. They pull out the moves though when I yell 'pose!'.
DeleteGreat weekend! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteThank you Anna Bartlett!
DeleteWell, I never...peacocks hither and yon. Looks like a lovely weekend.
ReplyDeletexo
I know. Peacocks roaming free in Brisbane. I haven't even heard an urban myth about them. Seems we're in an exclusive suburb because the woman I spoke to barely batted an eyelid. A bit like brown bears in the remotes of Canada ...
DeleteWhat a fun day with family...and peacocks to boot! I just can't get any better than that. Great group shot of the Solid Gold Dancers. They're so adorable.
ReplyDeleteDana, between you and me and your gorgeous furniture, I think the SGD's are adorable too. But only when they're behaving themselves.
DeleteThis may be your biggest post ever! What a day! I was meant to be at a drawing workshop at the art gallery on the week end too then found out it was I the great outdoors and had to cancel. I don't do sun at the moment.
ReplyDeleteDoctor Rocks house looks like solid gold heaven.
Your lot look like a flash mob in the first shot!
Dr Rock's house is fabulous. No kids though. Lots of precious things and glass-topped surfaces. Stay out of the sun until you're 100%. Who wants to be outside at the mo' anyway?
DeleteMy high school bestest friend is one of the curators of the exhibition. The webs of a smallish city always interest me. I get very proud and have been known to tear up when I see her name in print attached to different exhibits . Life moves too fast. The solid gold dancers totally rock!
ReplyDeleteYour friend might know my SIL then. It seems they invite her to give talks every so often if fashion is involved. I was v. impressed by the Art Gallery staff. They treated my SIL like she was some sort of celebrity. I have a couple of school friends whom I hold in high esteem too. They're the best sort of friends.
DeleteLove the pics Carmel, what fun it looks like you all had. Seeing your young guy on the drums reminded me I played the drums at high school. How funny!
ReplyDeleteSarahB, I can't believe you played the drums! There was some drum envy going on. I'm not giving in though. Uncle Dr Rock had one child convinced she should start guitar lessons and he'd be the teacher!
DeleteMartha in that first photo is solid platinum!
ReplyDeletePerhaps I will get peafowl instead of chooks, they would bring a certain level of class to my yard I think. mmmm.
Helen, you definitely need to go uber-fowl.
DeleteI think I would have basked in your sister's obvious good taste in footwear. Super weekend, must get my blogging mojo back on.
ReplyDeleteFiona, I can't claim biological connection with the well-shod one. I can only credit my brother for falling in love with her. She actually looked quite spanish and she has a tiny waist. Hola!
DeletePeacocks certainly look aristocratic. Apparently they make a big mess of your garden. Do you think aristocrats dumped a big load of snakes around my house??? Is only explanation I can think of for frequency of reptile sightings recently.... Must try and get hold of aristos and suggest peacocks more acceptable for dumping.
ReplyDeleteSolid Gold Dancers are just fantastic.
Glad you had such a nice weekend. Also agree with Fiona re exceptional nature of the sister-in-law's footwear.
xxx