Monday, October 1, 2012

The way things are ...


Here's one of my favourite pieces of furniture. It's brown and tiled. That's good enough for starters. 

But, in addition to those redeeming qualities, it's a table we had in our loungeroom as children, so I have good memories of it.


There's another table to match which languishes at the Land of Grandad. I may have to stage a rescue.

In a complete cognitive leap, I often ponder this blog and its point.
 It'd be nice to think I could post on a daily basis, and it be some sort of font-of-working-mother wisdom. I'd post everyday and show you my fabulous work outfits, and then I'd reveal what we're having for dinner, and the kids would all be gorgeous-looking and well-dressed, and then I'd go to bed.


But it's not like that, and I'm not sure I could ever muster the effort to make it that way.


I'm finding it hard-enough keeping on top of the basics. It is my choice, so I'm not complaining. I really like working and though I miss being a stay-at-home mother, I also know that I make a good lawyer.

If only there were some easy way. Though I suspect there's not because I think long and hard about how I can make working-motherdom easier and make it look better. I read some blogs and wonder how the hell these women pull it all off or how their readers fall for it all. Blogs, after all, are completely stage-managed by a stage-manager whose ego and reputation are at stake.


I grocery shop in my lunchbreaks.


Martha has to be satisfied with a slapped-together cardboard box. (Do you have those wheels? They are ingenious.)


Cleaning happens rarely.


Meal planning is now the go, not only for expediency but also to address dietary concerns and rut that can otherwise be described as 'meal-time'.


I send my children away for school holidays, when and where I can. They don't seem to mind.


 I think the break does them and me some good.

Why am I ranting like this? What's the solution? 

(Those may be a rhetorical questions, I'm not sure at this stage.)

16 comments:

  1. If you find a solution, let me know. I employed a cleaner. That helped... (Plus - don't tell anyone - I let my domestic standards drop.)

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never look down whilst walking about my place, just look a pretty wall things! I discovered boys like raw veggies than cooked. The rest is juggle and smuggle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your blog and your family just how it is - the bits of chaos, the messy bits, the quirky bits, it's NORMAL and NICE!! Don't change, those other perfect blogs give me the pip at times. Life is just not like that!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post. I totally hear you sister...I don't know what it is to be a stay at home mum, I also don't know what it is like to have a nine to five job so I guess I am not the norm...in more ways then one. The best people I know have houses that are what I call smudgy around the edges....ie there is washing piles, the odd dead plant, and at least two meals a week may contain choices that include toast. Some of these people work out of the home and some don't but they all know what is important in life and that having interests whether it is paid work based or not is key. My kids know I love them, I do my best and I enjoy "stuff", anything else doesn't really matter. As I always say tomorrow is another day. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks perfectly normal to me. Why is Catherine upside down in the drainer? It just won't do!
    That box looks like one of the most spankilngly fabulous boxes I've ever seen. They should sell hem at that toy shop in the Emporium because they are always more useful than normal toys.
    Ours had cheese on toast tonight and thought it was a treat. I conned them into believing raw beans were a treat for years and gave them bowls of frozen peas as a pre dinner snack to get the greens out of the way. They still love them.
    Whatever works for you is right. Enjoy your job and your motherhood. You earned it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drats, I want to see your fabulous work outfits! Are you saying you don't have time to show them? Can't you wake up an hour earlier or something?
    (seriously I want to see more of those gorgeous skirts, you're not telling us you wear cons(?) to work though, are you? Surely a sensible pump with a medium heel is more suitable in your line of work?)
    I think you are amazing (not that I know you or anything) anyone who can raise a tribe of happy kiddos, plan meals (ahead of time - SO impressive!), use her Cathrine Holm cook ware to cook in, make a pram out of a cardboard box and head of to work is a superstar to me. I reckon you are pulling it off with aplomb C x

    p.s. love the tiled table

    ReplyDelete
  7. I sometimes wonder how people can be so immaculate in every way too. I have more time than you and less children, but I still can't manage to put the laundry away or tidy up my study. I think Katherine is on the money...There is more to life than what we present to the outside world. And from my perspective I'd much rather add another dust collector to the mix than actually dust! xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you too. Love the job. Love the kids. I do mourn (a little) for my past life (at home) though. And I am sick of the mess. Have spent my whole public holiday sorting the girls clothes. A sign that they have too many, me thinks. Meals have been unpredictable at worst, boxed at best. There are no healthy greens in the fridge. Good grief. Bring on Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love abit of home style MacGyvering. The box is great.
    And I enjoy reading your blog - it's refreshing and honest. But I hear ya about it all - work, kids, blogging etc.
    I think the day I'd rather have a root canal than update my blog is the day I give it up.
    Have a great week.x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was already teaching when my daughter was born, so when she was six weeks old, I bundled her up and left her at a babysitter. By the time she was 7, I was divorced and raising her by myself, and I figured out right away that if my house was perfect, that meant I wasn't spending enough time with her. In the overall scheme of things, I had a rewarding career AND I raised an awesome daughter who is a great mother and wife and has a very successful career herself. Maybe my house was a little dirty sometimes, or we ate fast food when I was too tired to cook, but there was an amazing amount of love and laughter in our home (and still is), and that's all that really matters.

    From everything I can tell, you've found that balance too. I don't think you have a thing to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's important to enjoy what you're doing everyday and it sounds like you are, so no guilt allowed missy! Maybe someday I'll be able to nannysit for you. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your latest edition makes me smile.
    In the day ,I had a family of 5 childer who sound and look very much like your own.
    I cooked nothing outside the recipe book that came with the Sunbeam frypan. I didn't start cooking until I married .
    And I still hate it.
    I read Mrs Beaton's chapter on how to employ servants and never got to the recipe section.
    I have heart in that one or two of my childer can now appreciate that how they were mothered was fairly normal.
    You'll never get on top while you tell the truth to your chider.
    Every meat I gave them I pronounced as chicken. They refused to eat anything but chicken! So I didn't want to disappoint them when they had fish fingers or a lamb chop.
    My eldest child ate nothing but wheat bix until he went to school and needed red eat and protein.
    Lower your standards. No one but you will notice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dearest, I agree with most above. You're normal. But can I just boast a bit - my pile of washed up dishes that hasn't been put away is bigger than yours! And I don't have the groovy cookware either. But thanks for putting your concerns out there for us all to relate to :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I heard on the radio about a judgmental friend, who passed judgement on another friends untidy home and had the nerve to say something to her!
    The friends retort was that she was too busy having sex to clean!!!

    Loved it and it will be my line from now on!

    Thought you might like! xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. You have got to get yourself a range of slow cookers once you after a couple of go's youll be all set for quick easy meals that require half the cooking time all prepared effortlessly the night before or on a Sunday arvo. They are easy peasy and the kids seem to love em. The bonus is they use cheaper cut of meals and less than snap fresh vegies and taste delicious.

    PS: those wheels are fabulous where did you get them from?

    Have a great day

    Helen :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stop it, you're doing an awesome job! Anyone with 4+ kids knows how a normal house operates and looks (whether they work or stay at home or both) so don't worry. I think you're amazing to do what you do - I would love to work a bit but really don't think I'd cope with the stress of the 6 minute units again...still waiting for that part of the brain to return. Where can I get some of the wheels?

    ReplyDelete