Thursday, November 1, 2012

Put the pitchfork down ...

Who has time to blog any more? I don't so this'll be quick.


Halloween.



Korean H has been origami-ing up a storm.


She's indefatiguable, and has been sending us off to buy more paper goods. Thank goodness because we were bombarded by hoards last night.


Seems they don't do Halloween in South Korea. 


I hope they do Christmas, or it's back to Officeworks.


I chipped in with some meringue ghosts which no one ate but me.



We made ghosts from yoghurt containers and hung them from the ceiling with fishing line. Clever. Crafty. Dairy, dangling delicious.


Speaking of nice things that dangle from the ceiling, here are some lights in my friend's new kitchen. Snazzy. Her pad's pretty cool.


Another pal gave me this book to read. So far, it's very good. I like a book that hooks me from the start. I assumed that since this is a Penguin Classic, that it was written yonks ago, but no. Don't be fooled by the orange cover. It was first published in 1985.


Life. When do the surprises stop?!


And stop! Look at these Fisher Price sheets. Another friend found them in an Op Shop for $4.50. Another one of life's pleasant surprises.
 

I read a newspaper article recently which said that Australians are sitting on a small fortune of used goods. It went on to say that due to the downturn of the economy, many people were shopping online for baby and childrens clothes and paraphenalia.


I have crates of baby and kids clothes and toys which I can't bear to get rid of. I wish I had the gumption to sell it all.

Is that insanity? Am I one bonds t-shirt away from compulsive hoarding?

If I sold it, I'm sure I wouldn't feel so bogged down by it, but then I think it'll all be good for my grandchildren. And all those memories of babies romping about looking adorable ...


They're only babies for such a short time, and then they're in hospital having their heads stitched after falling against the fence.

 (Doped up to the eyeballs.)

25 comments:

  1. I love your friend's flower pot lights. I have to go light shopping and make a purchase by next Monday. I'm afraid (sad/jealous) lights like these are not in our budget. I'm glad our days/nights at the children's hospital seem to be over. Your 'ghosts' (edible - with culinary skills like that you should be joining in our cook-off!!!) and other, are awesome as is your staircase x

    p.s. I hope Martha is okay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,
      I have two friends. You'd like both of them. The one with the lights has a lot of groovy light which you'd also like.

      Delete
    2. PS All my Retro cookbooks are packed away. I've tried to find them but I can't locate the correct box. I have a modern retro cookbook, but the meals are too normal.

      Delete
  2. ooohhh, poor youngest,
    dearest Carmel! Hope she is well soon! (the picture of her looks very archaic to me! Like an old painting, you know?)

    Love the first pic, that with your Halloween kiddos!

    As a working mom only short time for blogging....
    See you later
    Love
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ariane,
      I can see what you mean about an old painting ... that sort of repose.

      Hope work's treating you well. Love Carmelxo

      Delete
  3. Poor Martha! Lots of arms flying about there. LOVE the yoghurt container ghosty idea. Note to self ... must get kids eating lots of yoghurt prior to Halloween next year! And those Fisher Price sheets ... wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LittleMiss AG,

      there was a lot of uncontrolled balloon action for a period - to distract one's attention etc. But in a small emergency room it doesn't bode well.

      I've NEVER seen Fisher Price sheets. Maybe there was a production run of one set.

      Delete
  4. Why did we not plan to meet at the hospital. I've been there all week with one child or another! Love your ghouls. We have similar scary big girl, fairy little girl stuff going on. I loved that book, perfume. I read it in the Greek Islands given to me by a now dear friend and could not put it down. I gave my copy away so may go for a new orange one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While the doctor was stitching and the nursey was holding the babe still, I joked about never having been there with a broken limb. Fair dinkum both of them virtually pointed the bone at me, and threw fist-fulls of salt over their shoulder etc etc. and said I should never joke about broken limbs because I'd curse myself. It was like a pagan conference for about 5 minutes.

      My book is a second-hand one ... maybe it was yours!?

      Delete
  5. Love your Halloween decorations and meringue ghosts. I have clothes/toys of my daughter's that I can't bear to give away (and she's 34 years old), as well as clothes and toys of my grandson's that I can't part with. Ah, the sentimental clutter we hold onto. I hope Martha is on the mend. I did my stints in the ER too, as my daughter was quite the daredevil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana, I wasn't that enthusiastic about halloween, but Korean H was so excited, I let her lead the charge. It was infectious.

      I'm glad to know you've kept some things. I'm hoping to pull it all out one day and the kids will love me for it. My only worry is elastic losing its 'give' and clothes discolouring (as they do).

      Delete
    2. And another thing ... I've hardly bought Martha any new clothes recently because they're all hand-me-downs from her older sister and brothers. I tend to spend more on Matilda's clothes knowing they'll end up being worn a second time by Martha.

      Delete
  6. Are you and Annie trying to outdo each other with this hospital caper?
    Thankfully my kids aren't aware of Halloween, I had no idea it was gaining such momentum.
    And the best news of all .... today's FRIDAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could have zombie cows? Long way to walk probably for trick-or-treaters in your neck of the woods?

      Delete
  7. I adore the Halloween origami bats! That book is amazing. I was blown away by how descriptive it was and when I read it I bacame obsessed with sniffing out smells. Yes, I'm a bit kooky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm surprised at the number of people who've read that book. Everyone says it's detail and description is incredible. One girl I work with said it was translated from German and the German translator has obviously done a fantastic job.

      Delete
  8. Being a living antiquarian ,I am glad you are already thinking of your grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy belated Halloween to you! Looks like fun over at yours. Love you friends new lights! Great colour.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are a fabulous colour. I think they spent some time choosing them. They are so sunny and bright. Perfect for a kitchen.

      Delete
  10. I agree with your first statement. But then you go and do another entertaining post. I'm really going to try to get back on the horse. But we didn't do halloween. Love your ghosts. And your very organised clothes. My mother gave away some of our 'child' clothes the other day - I almost took them out of the back of her car (they were sticking out of the vinnies bag) but then a child distracted me and I missed my chance. I'm trying to stop thinking about them now. As you can see, it's not working.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Korean H and her paper skills! Mad stuff.

    Those FP sheets do look pretty snazzy all opened out! Who ended up with them? or are they going to rotate? My internet searches only turned up one result I think for those sheets and it was a collector selling them for $45.

    I would have eaten those ghosts.

    Not that I've had kids yet but I'm glad that Mum's kept a selection of our baby clothes for the future. I say sell/donate the pedestrian stuff and keep the really sentimental items.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, what a time you're all having over there. Hope Martha's okay. I would have eaten those ghostly meringues for sure. We had no trick or treaters this year. More candy for me, right?

    ReplyDelete
  13. How did I miss this Post? Is there anything Korean H can not do?? I love those lights! No one has mentioned this so it's probably more an issue of mine than your but gee you're very neat with your storage. I actually got rid of everything baby related after the twins (which is a pity as I now have to get everything again) but maybe if I was as organised as you I would have kept things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your ghoulish family are fantastic, especially the oldest with dedicated pancake makeup. Read the book and loved it, prob not long after it came out. Love those lights, very very cool. Do not point the bone at me but we've never been to emergency for broken bones either. My child attends for more exotic presentations like colonoscopies and iron infusions. Thankfully infrequently as he has a phobia of things touching him. Korean H is going to be such good value leading up to christmas, start stockpiling the red and green paper now. We expect a tutorial on origami santas , reindeer and christmas trees. mel x

    ReplyDelete