Saturday, March 16, 2013

Marimekko soothes my shock

 Five days a week, I wake up at 6am, make school lunches and breakfasts. I then have a shower, brush my hair, tie it in a ribbon and dress in corporate wear complete with pearls. 

At about 7:10am I say in as commanding-a-way as possible, 'I'm going to work, everyone be good!' and I walk to the bus stop. I then don't see everyone until about 6pm in the evening when my ribbon's askew, my shirt sleeves are rolled up, and I'm dog-tired.


So, I was a tad shocked when Solid Gold Dancer #2 said to me today, "Mum, when you get a job, what are you going to do?"


I said, "Solid Gold Dancer #2, I go to work everyday, what the hell do you think I do when I leave in the morning?"


And then, Solid Gold #3 interjected and said, "Yeah, Mum goes to work". (Thank God one of them's thinking clearly, I thought).


He continued, "She dresses up like a hamburger and works in a canteen".

28 comments:

  1. Ha - out of the mouths of babes! Now we know that you were only trying to fool us with all that high-faluting talk about the legal world...Cx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, that made me laugh out loud. "What the hell do you think I do when I leave in the morning?"
    Hope you are all well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I said. I was shocked. He hasn't answered me with his thoughts of what I do everyday.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope you're children know what you do, farmer's wife!

      Delete
    2. Once my son's kindy teacher asked him what special job his Mum had. He said I did the dishes!!

      Delete
  4. I can't stop laughing! You need a take your Solid Golds to work day.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the ladies have asked that I bring them in. Maybe I will. Maybe I will.

      Delete
  5. Ha-ha, that made me laugh! You have a long day, though. we usually leave around 8 (we should leave at 7.30, but never makes it) and we're back home around 430. But then I don't work in the corporate sector, but in the public (boring) one, and I guess hours are better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arctic Mum, I work for the Government. I get into work at about 8am and leave around 5pm, but the bus is so slow it takes about an hour each way. I actually only have to work 7.25 hours a day, but the longer one works, the more hours one can accrue.

      Delete
  6. So funny I had to read it again, aloud to husband who also had a chuckle.
    More hamburger impersonators should wear pearls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder which part of my ensemble resembles beef?

      Delete
  7. Ha! Perhaps he was just being metaphorical and knows all to well. Clever boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not that clever. I think they're too wrapped-up in fantasy land.

      Delete
  8. Oh those Solid Gold boys! This cracked me up a twenty times over.

    I can totally hear you saying "I'm going to work, everyone be good!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you've seen me in mothering-action. I pull no punches. Good to see you the other day. If I had a dollar, I would have had a coffee.

      Delete
  9. Serious? That's gold ... well, I suppose they are Solid Gold Dancers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I need to sit them down and spell out some life lessons. Their heads are all disco balls and gold lame pants.

      Delete
  10. I did exactly what Fiona did! Thanks for the laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God love them. They must've missed that memo that went out last year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More memos are definitely needed. I was impressed how quietly your little Solid Golds were on the weekend ... playing like angels. Bless them!

      Delete
  12. Don't you secretly wish that Solid Gold Nr.2 had it right? That you get all dolled up in the morning and go out the door, only to hang out at the mall, meet your mates, have a couple of champagnes/get a few coffees, contemplate driving to the beach, buy some random crap at a $2 store and come home in the evening? Wouldn't that be just swellegant?

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's priceless:-) It made me think of a Norwegian film from the 80s with a title that translates "The daddy bus". The film is all about what a little boy thinks his dad does from the point where he gets on the bus for work in the morning until he gets home in the afternoon. I don't remember all the details, but a lot of playing and running around in a field is involved, all in their work suits! It's hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the Marimekko too! .......the kids a classic, he will get the trust fund and go to clown school!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's one of the funniest things I've ever read. All that work in the law library to get where you are today...and they think you're a hamburger. I'll be laughing all day.

    ReplyDelete