Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Dolls' House: Meet the Occupants


These two lovely ladies are the dolls' house's proposed occupants. Aren't they cute? They're Lego dolls. Lego doesn't seem to make them any more so I couldn't find out their names. But they're Danish.


Horsey and Eustace are also tenants. There'll be a bit more astro turf for these two to frolic on.


I won't make too much furniture as we have surfeit of the stuff. There'll be a mix of Ikea dolls' house furniture, Lego Duplo furniture and some German stuff that I had when I was a young 'un.


This skull-cap-like object is actually a rag rug I made awhile back. I think I must have sewed it too tight, causing it to turn in on itself. So I spent today unpicking it and will re-sew it in an effort to flatten it.


Sounds like a good idea to me!

Meanwhile, I read La Petite magazine last night. It's a lovely e-zine (or whatever they're called) full of cool kids' stuff, but with each page my chest tightened. My chest tightened because I realised how staggeringly unoriginal I am.

Let's explore that unoriginality, shall we?


La Petite Ikea kitchen.


 MMMC Ikea kitchen. But, like a trail-blazer, I wallpapered it. 
But I shouldn't have wallpapered it because ...


Everybody is wallpapering ... "Quick Tip: Customise your little one's Doll House by adding wallpaper or a fresh coat of paint".


Ta Da!
(You didn't need to see the house again, but I wanted to make my copy-cat point.)


La Petite Moomin Books ...


MMMC Moomin books. It gets worse.

La Petite shadow box.


MMMC shadow box (which one looks nicer? You tell me).


La Petite four disconsolate children at dinner.


MMMC four disconsolate children at dinner.

Copy. Copy. Copy, I'm embarrassed to say. 

What do you reckon the Next Big Thing will be? I'll be part of the band on the wagon.

20 comments:

  1. I don't see it as copying, I think it just means that you are very 'on trend'. Though doesn't that term just make you want to gag? Ok, let me rephrase that, how about you are very 'hip and happening'.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Love this post! Because a) your so-called 'copies' are actually very original and not at all copy-catty! And b) this happens to me all the time!!! But actually, secretly I really AM copying (unlike you, who genuinely comes up with these ideas and THEN discovers that others are doing them). I do that thing where I see something - forget I've seen it - come up with a BRILLIANT idea - make it - and THEN see the original source. For the second time. Oh wells, that's the way it goes, these internetty days...

    ReplyDelete
  3. But you do wallpaper sooooo much better... and they don't have a Horsey and a Eustace do they? Now who's jealous?

    ReplyDelete
  4. SarahB,
    You're always too kind. Jumping on the proverbial band wagon, I think it's called!

    Stella,
    I think you need a rest. And I think you're right about the Internet. Everything's so fast, you see an idea and then run with it, and everyone else does the same thing! That's not a bad thing really. I find it interesting that these trends are adopted so quickly and ubiquitously. I do seriously wonder what the next thing is, though trends evolve now-a-days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. La petite are obviously following this blog. And anyone who is convinced they have a truly original design trend is probably very deluded. Surely it's about time for linoleum floors to come back in. By the way we have one of those Lego dolls too- and her full set of kitchen furniture /tables /chairs /stoves etc. melx

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's very funny -- you and your family should feature on posters for La Petite. You clearly exemplify modern loveliness.

    On another subject entirely, I'm really enjoying The Slap on telly at the moment -- great Aussie TV.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CurlyPops,

    You've always been Horsey's No.1 fan.

    BungalowG,
    I'll start relaying my kitchen floor in lino asap. I think cork tiles are a forgotten interior flooring. We have the lego kitchen as well. I think they're so sweet.

    Jane H,
    The Slap. Started as a book and then the tv series. I've read/seen neither, but my understanding is that the one act tears everyone apart and causes pecadilloes to run rife! It was on TV here the other night as well. I'm actually addicted to "Beauty and The Geek" ... a different genre but it also has its message.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You hipster you! Your stuff is way cooler though.
    Next big thing: macrame. Get those kids weaving.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, I'm also a fan of Beauty and the Geek. Words cannot describe how good it is! Thanks for the comments about the garden. I'll pass on the lawn compliment to the man. My domain is the plants, his is the lawn. All works well until my domain starts encroaching, then it gets dirty...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jane H,
    Right now I saw an ad on the television for The Slap. So it's still on. Looks like they're all falling apart. Not like the Beaties and the Geeks who are all bonding and getting tight etc.

    Brismod,
    macrame. Yes. I left some cracker specimens at the Op Shop the other day because I couldn't work out how I'd wash them (the wooden beads). Macrame and cork flooring. Beautiful.

    SarahB,
    lets add 'green clipped lawn' to the list of the NBTs. Do you think they're all actors on Beauty and the Geek?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, yes lawn is very 'on trend'.
    I am naively thinking that the Beauties and the Geeks are actual people and would be very disheartened to know otherwise :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Doll's House is looking very funky. You are a woman of many talents. I like the Lego dolls - they look vaguely Danish.

    Hope all is well - I just typed a long comment but blogger ate it and so you are stuck with this one now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The dollhouse looks fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah, but who's copying whom, hmm? I daresay those Petites are secret, yet avid MMM-C fans. You'll know for sure when a Horsey pops up on their trendy e-pages.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm gonna copy them copying you cause I want a little birdie on top of my doll house book case, a mini rag rug, a kiddy-kitchen, cool wallpapered everything and moomin books, but i'll pass on the four disconsolate children one is plenty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No, I am not religous, though of course growing up catholic I wanted to be a nun when I was a little girl. Infact, I wanted to see a miracle, like the Lady of Fatima. Every Sunday I would climb through my window and toddle off to church by myself (thinking back I was very precocious!) I would sit in the pew gazing intently at the statue of the Madonna, willing a tear to fall from her eye, or her gown to move ever so slightly...It never happened!
    I got the idea of doing religous banners from watching "Big Love." There was a scene where the kids were watching a cartoon abour Cain and Abel (or something biblical) I realised that the Americans were more hard core than I thought. I listed a few and surprise, surprise, sold a couple to Utah! I have sold all of my Christmas religous ones, and am desperately searching for more!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Look, I'd say YOUR BLOG most likely inspired that maggiezeene. THEY'RE the copycats.

    Zeitgeist. Collective unconscious, no such thing as an original idea etc.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well dearie, I think you've got a long way to go before you get disconsolate children like the La Petite ones. They live in a log cabin, they have NO VEGETABLES for dinner (looks like there's nothing - not even beer in that jug), they are eating out of those weird 70s compressed woodchip bowls, and their Christmas tree is totally sans decoration...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the rag rug, and I have a suggestion for you on how to keep it flat after you "unpick" it. Make a "mat" of masking tape, and carefully coil the rag braid on the masking tape mat. The "good side" of the rug should be stuck carefully on the tape, leaving the "wrong side" exposed so you can sew it. Of course, you do have to mind your tension, but this will help you keep the rug flat while you're sewing it. After it's sewn, carefully remove the tape. If it's still a little bunchy, you could use iron-on interfacing on the wrong side to flatten it.

    It's such a cute rug ... hope this helps.
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm thinking of turning a pool noodle into a wreath. Yes I saw the idea on Apartment therapy yesterday, but it's what I "do" with the wreath. It's merely taking an idea and improving on it. I know somebody once copied an assignment of mine and got a better grade - a good example that one can improve on the original.
    Your friend in copying,
    the dirty rat, sitting on a butchers mat.

    ReplyDelete