I'm not doing much else apart from reading and waiting for the washing-machine repairman, so I thought I'd do a truncated review of some of what we've been absorbing, in case you were on the prowl for literature.
"Goodbye Mr Muffin" is the story of an old guinea pig who's waiting to die. And then does so.
It's a beautiful book, and reminds me of old poodles we've known and loved. Haven't read it to the children yet, so not sure what their reaction will be.
"I Want My Hat Back". I've read scathing reviews of this book, claiming it's too droll for children.
But Martha loves having it read to her. I suppose a funny voice helps.
"It's a Book" by Lane Smith. It's a book I probably wouldn't recommend.
Take it or leave it. On the shelf.
"Dr Zhivago". I borrowed this from my parents' library. I'm half-way through it, but am forcing myself to finish it. Russian revolution has never really held me in its dramatic, turbulent, icy-grounded grasp.
"The Elegance of the Hedgehog". Loved it.
"When God was a Rabbit". I started this the other night at about 9:30 and finished it at about 12:54 the next morning. I couldn't put it down. I laughed out loud and then sobbed and then laughed again.
I'd recommend it but, in hindsight, think the plot's a bit incredible.
I'm reading this right now.
It has photos and well-written sentences and is a joy to read.
"Mary had a Little Lamp". Martha's Godmother gave her this book. Her Godmother does an unsurpassed job of cramming Martha's bookshelves full of amusing books.
This book's no exception to that predilection.
Though Martha still prefers to sleep with Lady Penelope's beauty bible under her pillow.
And the lizards? Well, they're full of Christmas banana.
Yum.
-
















Thank you for the reading list. I'm always on the prowl for something good. Are bananas down in price yet or are they only good enough for the reptiles? $1.78 kg here, is that expensive?
ReplyDeleteHi MMMC!
ReplyDeleteFirstly I'm sending a big hug your way. I'm sorry Molly's video made you cry, but I get why. You need to adopt a pooch this year me thinks.
So great to hear from you. I love your book reviews and will look out for done of those. Wishing you a great 2012! Xx
Ah, Carmel, so glad to read the 'encore'. Enough of this 'fin' business ☺. J x
ReplyDeleteDebbish,
ReplyDeletebananas are 'down' (reduced?) in price now. But I was feeding them to reptiles when they were about $12kg. My love for big-eyed, scaly creatures knows no bounds and I'll pay anything when it comes to keeping blue-tongues happy.
SarahB,
I got teary ... a bit dampish around the cheek area, but not massive sobs, because Molly's so cute and smart, and I miss that in a dog.
Jane, stop it.
Headed to the library with your list of recommendations tucked into my satchel.
ReplyDeleteThanks for those, as I am tucked up in bed with a cold I may try to track them down. Good ideas for a book for my niece or Goddaughter too! Glad to see the lizards are still munching down.
ReplyDeleteCarmel, we have a book similar to Goodbye Mr Muffin, named Old Pig. On the odd occasion that I find myself tidying the younger children's room, I inevitably find it under a bed, and sit on the floor reading it, sobbing my heart out. Just one of the reasons I'm so hesitant to tidy!
ReplyDeleteWendy,
ReplyDeleteyou'd like 'Mary had a little lamp'.
Jo,
the two paperbacks - 'When god ...' and 'The Elegance ... ' are good "stuck in bed" books.
Fiona,
I think I know 'Old Pig'. It was read on Playschool once, and they occasionally repeat it. I have to stop and listen to the story being read each time. I know what you mean. It's a beautiful story.
Good recommendations MMMC. I've been catching up with my reading too. The rabbit book sounds interesting. xx
ReplyDeleteI'll take any recommendations regarding kiddie books. I've been buying about 1 a week since Juri arrived- I'm stocking his 'library' and my soon need to invest in another book shelf for his room!
ReplyDeleteok, that Goodbye, Mr. Muffin book sounds horrible!!! I can't imagine. Rip out the pages and make some sort of papercraft, but for the love of heaven don't read it!
ReplyDeleteThe Elegance of the Hedgehog sounds intriguing.. please elaborate
Laura,
ReplyDeletethat's the thing ... the guinea pig goes to heaven, or whatever is the equivalent for whomever may be reading. It's very sweet.
The Elegance of the Hedgehog, I was made aware of by my blog friend Sara. She loved it. It's about a French concierge who is extremely well-read and holds the residents of her building in disdain because she's much more intellectual than they, but she's destined for a life of servitude. And in the building is a young French girl, who's also much too intelligent for her family and class-mates and waits for her own suicide because there's nothing magical about life or humanity ... until the two meet and both have their eyes opened, as it were, to beauty and possibility and friendship and so on ... I think you'd like it.
Great list! Thank you. How could anyone write a scathing review of I Want My Hat Back? We've loved it... over and over again. Happy New Year!
ReplyDeleteHalf-way through The Elegance of The Hedgehog - also loving it! My Mum passed this book onto me, along with a tonne of books. She's a converted Kindle-holic now.
ReplyDeleteMr Muffin made sounds sad; and I don't even like guinea pigs.
R&S,
ReplyDeleteyou always make me laugh. I recently went to Uni with a girl who was an avid guinea pig advocate, and all I could think was 'smelly, trumped-up vermin'. (Her guinea pigs. Not her).
Having said that, Mr Muffin was cute.
WhAT??? You don't like "It's a Book"? LOVED it so much when I read it in the store that I quickly looked it up on Book Depository and ordered it (wasn't paying some ridiculous $25+). My Big Girl thinks it's hilarious. "It's a Book" reminds me of all the sad Gen X kids out there who will never experience the joy of creating their own mix tape, putting a record on or using a dial bakelite phone. Must look up the other books of note you highlighted. Thank goodness for Book Depository.
ReplyDelete