While everyone else went to swimming lessons, Solid Gold Dancer #1 and I went to an Open House.
I really like this place. It's heavily bricked, dark-timbered and screams 70s Scandinavia in the perfect way.
It also has a garden which lends itself to being completely ripped out and replaced with Australian Natives.
One of the first things I noticed about the house was this door knocker. It's exactly like the door knockers on our front doors when I was growing up. Bizarre.
The house was very lived-in (note the charcoaled fireplace), needed a good clean and hadn't been altered since, I suspect, it was built.
Unfortunately, it would be a bit of a squeeze with two adults, an au pair and four Solid Gold Dancers, and the timing's not right.
I know a lot of people would find all this timber a bit heavy, but I dig it.
What a shame. (Now I ponder it, is it wrong to put photos of someone's house on the Internet?)
Probably.
And then we went to the shops.
What a shame it's a bit small and your timing's not right Carmel, because I love this house. Alot.
ReplyDeletep.s. Anth sent me a link to this one in Tasmania
ReplyDeletehttp://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-tas-fern+tree-112442415
he likes to torture me!
x
How on earth does he find these houses?! That's insane? I'd buy it just for the door handles. Everyone, quick. Look at Stylish Kylish's link! I'm suddenly short of breath.
DeleteStylish Kylish! Love that, we have renamed you!
DeleteSorry MMMC, but the link has blown me away that I can't remember the house in the post!
.....someone's husband is a wind up merchant! :)
Stylish Kylish,
ReplyDeleteI really like it too. I like it because my Marimekko blinds, which have been wrapped in plastic since about 2007, would finally have a place to call home. And it's cheap and has great floor tiles.
Ooooh I dig the wood as well. Those louvered cupboard doors are just like the ones my parents used to have in their bedroom! Its often all about memories of childhood, isn't it.... I often dream about the funky multi storey wood panelled "treehouses" in St Lucia that belonged to a lot of the academics at UQ back then. I explored a fair share of them as a child, and often wonder if there are any still intact and on the market!
ReplyDeleteSt Lucia is such a fabulous suburb. It still has some wonderful houses. What a dream to live there. I know you like timbre. Your place has such beautiful light doors and stairs.
DeleteGreat house! I love all the wood as well - makes it somehow warm and homely. And did I spy a small set down into the room with the desk? Could this be considered a sunken lounge of sorts?! (I am obsessed with Sunken Lounges.) My dad (who is a builder) was recently out to measure up our house for some renovations. I asked him what my chances were of him building in a sunken lounge to which he replied "Sunken Lounge? What a wank."
ReplyDeleteSo I'm guessing no - not today.
Must head over to this other link Kylie mentioned. I'm intrigued! xx
Crikey - just looked at that house on the link - AMAZING!
DeleteYour dad sounds like a classic! What a wank....straight to the pool room! :)
DeleteIt was a sunken lounge. Even SGD#1 commented on its grooviness. Dad's a cack.
DeleteI could never tire of wood panelling :)
ReplyDeleteAll houses are a squeeze once you have more than two offspring. Which burb is this little gem in? The chimney is a corker!
ReplyDeleteSGD1 got tall suddenly!
SGD#1 is suddenly tall, but she's also still short. Kenmore. But then there'd be similar in The Gap (see next post).
DeleteToo bad the house was too small. Send a couple of those SGD's my way and you'll be set.
ReplyDeletexo
SGD's are all behaving v. badly. I'd gladly send them away for a stretch, but wouldn't wish that on you.
Deleteoh oh.
DeleteOh, wow...all of you are going to have to stop showing all these beautiful houses in Australia, or I'll be forced to move there!
ReplyDeleteNot wrong to put photos of people's houses on the internet in three cases:
ReplyDelete1) An open house where they are trying to see it
2) A house tour and you have been pre-authorized to take photos.
3) With there permission.
"their" .... why do I re-read my comments AFTER I publish?
DeleteOMG. That Tassie house.
ReplyDeleteWe've been looking at mid-century houses on the internets and in real life too. Not too many good ones on this side of town. And the ones that are good they want a million bucks for them!
Love your house scouting. xx