Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Contemplating design

I am glad the rain has finally stopped. 

At one point, I criticised the media for beating-up a nothing story, and then Sunday came, and I realised we were in for a thrashing. As usual, our garage began to flood. We have to keep on top of it, or it then floods two downstairs bedrooms.

The whole process had me raging against bad design. 

1. Plaster board - bad design.


2. Sloping driveways ending at ill-sealed garage doors - bad design.


3.Skinny sinks - bad design.


4. Carpet - the worst design feature ever.





Just some pictures while we all ponder bad design for a bit.



Occasionally, there's good design. Things that work. They just do their thing
 without fan-fare or drama.



And they look nice.


My contemplation of bad design and sodden surfaces prompted me to pull out the sewing machine,


have a stick-it-to-the-man cup of tea, 


and stitch us all a new bathmat.
 


18 comments:

  1. Didn't realise you were amongst the floods! I'm eyeing off your planter, the Eames rocker, the owl, vintage sewing basket.....pretty much everything there. Love it! And welcome Korean S to her new lovely Aussie family xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. We weren't flooded. Though losing the Internet for 48-hours was hair raising! Even the kids were in withdrawals. What a country of extremes. You were facing bushfires not that long ago. Poor Korean S is in shock. Martha let go the F-bomb when the garage started to flood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was going to buy a house from a friend many years ago. He had enclosed a patio to make an extra room, and it always flooded when we got a heavy rain. Our agreement was that I'd just rent the house from him till he worked out the flooding problem. He never did, so I backed out of the deal. I do know how infuriating that is. I dropped the F-bomb many a time over water seeping in.

    Boo to bad design...and love all your examples of good design! Hope you're dry by now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Bitossi looking owl is sure low-key. You're right - no fanfare in that design. And as for plasterboard - ppphhhhffffllllllllooooooooogh! (can you hear the rasberry I'm blowing from afar?). Plasterboard is my nemesis. Sorry about your flooding. I can smell the mildew from here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that bathmat? I've never thought of sewing one. Very cool x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bad design is a curse to all. We're in for a huge rainfall tonight.
    xo

    p.s. How was the tea???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our family has a proud history of flooded basements and garages.
    The bad design looks more like el cheapo DIU.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought that didn't look right.
    DIY of course.
    And our family has a proud tradition of el cheapo DIY as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad you werent swamped..........but its a bugga all the same nice bathmat :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When all else fails, sew a bathmat. Good Mantra Mrs!
    We got flooding in the boys' room so now instead of smelling of worn sports socks it smells like wet worn sports socks.
    The husband's MLC boat filled with rain to the brim so it was drained and buffed and put in the carport to stay dry. I am parking out in the weather. Needless to say we all got soaked before school this morning but the boat was noice and dry. Handy if there was an ark situation!
    Dodgy DIY should be the name of said boat!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry about the flooding, but still giggling about the f-bomb situation.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just noticed Olivia on the carpet. She's our favorite bed time read at the moment too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. At least you don't own it! Sucks in the meantime though. We got a bit of water under our house and that's due to bad downpipe design placement. It's on our to do list if we ever decide to shove a bedroom or kid under there...Gotta love that Martha. I bet she said the F bomb with feeling. xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carpet and skinny sinks, yep they are complete crapola in my opinion too. Perhaps channel the rage and sew a giant chux mat for your garage as well. Different colour chux of course, in a herringbone or whatever that pattern is that everyone is buying presently. Oh and liberal dashings of oil of cloves of course, to deter mould ( from the mouth of fang shui gonna) mel x ps i have a moomin thingy at my place for you from the oppies, please email so I can fly it over to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That was nonna not gonna or goana or whatever else sprang to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. FENG for goodness sake. Swear words deleted.

    ReplyDelete
  17. that is hilarious about martha. not hilarious about the extreme rain situ. hope you are all dry and well now.

    ReplyDelete