You may have seen Google's Doodle of the Turing Machine.
Common belief is that Turing suicided in 1954, but now that cause of death is being questioned.
However he died, Alan Turing is one of the historical figures whom I hold in high esteem. In fact, I hold him in very high esteem. He's one of my heroes.
I'm sure you're aware of Turing's pivotal role in the cracking of Germany's Enigma Codes during WWII, and of his mathematical genius.
Turing was also homosexual and, in the height of the Cold War, that was viewed as threat to the State ... especially so in Mr Turing's case considering his important role in England's security and how vulnerable he may have been to blackmail.
He was a man of great integrity and, as a result, found himself in front of the courts for his homosexual daliances. He was found guilty of gross indecency, and to prevent going to prison, he agreed to undergo a year of oestrogen injections, chemical castration, which affected him physically and psychologically. Apart from the effects, it was an appalling thing to do to a human being, particularly one who had assisted the Allies defeat Hitler.
It is assumed Turing suicided by consuming an apple poisoned with cyanide, a chemical he used in many of his experiments.
Turing reminds me of the importance of genius and its teetering confusion with anti-socialism, reclusiveness, auspergers or just plain-strange behaviour - Turing was viewed by some of his fellow code-breakers as strange, rude and aloof.
Turing also reminds me of the constant need to question authority, and the importance of truthfulness, human difference and dignity.
One of my sons reminds me Turing. And for that reason, that son is not allowed to eat apples or touch anything that has apples in it. He won't be allowed to use my Apple i-phone, for instance, when I buy one. (I've got to come up with some excuse.)
Turing. Think about him.
How's this Marimekko dress on the right? I'm quite smitten by it's summeryness and tent-ish twirlyness.
You can see more of Marimekko's beauty here. The dress is horrendously out of my price range.
Who has an i-phone or i-pad? Please regale me with their benefits. Don't hold back.
I like the idea of a bamboo case.
PS For those of you in my television coverage footprint, on ABC2 at 8:30pm next Saturday evening is the second-half of a cracker of a documentary on Woody Allen. Cracker I tell you.




I watched the first part of the Woody Allen doco last night and Annie Hall after it. I love (most of) Woody's flicks. I will definetely be tuning in to part two. In the meantime I'm off to the video shop this week to get reunited with a few of my faves. Husband away, I shall watch them in bed. A movie marathon I think.
ReplyDeleteInteresting notes on Turing. So cruel and sad.
And I love that Marimekko frock, although you'd have to be a skinny mini to pull it off I reckon.
Kylie,
Deletemy husband laughs himself stupid at the early slap-stick Woody Allen, whereas I don't find them that funny. I prefer the relationships-based movies. Keen to hear about your movie marathon!
I would squeeze myself into that Marimekko dress. No pain, no appreciation of gorgeous Finnish design
I'm iPad ding right now, I love it but don't do blog posts on it too hard ! You need trusty desktop for that ! I iPhone too, love instagram etc, frankly I i everything!
ReplyDeleteThank god we have come along way but still room for improvements......good luck separating offspring from new technology! :)
I'm thinking I do need an i-phone AND an i-pad. Bloody Apple. I'm also a have a bit of a conspiracy theory about Apple. And the only reason I think I need both is that I want to avoid the fights ... I'll take the i-phone and the kids can have the i-pad.
DeleteI love my iPhone, and I openly covet my SIL's iPad.
ReplyDeleteThe latest information to come to light about Turing's death is extremely interesting. Such a tragic end for someone who had been so persecuted. It's hard to imagine such ignorance and intolerance.
I like a woman who openly coverts.
DeleteWho secretly coverts now-a-days? There's something deceptive in secretly coveting.
Dear Carmel,
ReplyDeleteI love the name of your blog!
And your Au-Pair. Only three, but... sometimes. Whom I'm telling!
Love
Ariane.
Ariane, you should advertise for an Australian au pair!
DeleteI wasn't familiar with Turing until now. How interesting and I agree with you, some of the most interesting, creative and highly intelliegnt people just don't fit in. It made me think of Nikola Tesla.
ReplyDeleteI don't have an iphone or ipad, but I have an itouch which is like a phone, but without the annoying phone bit :) I love it for the photo apps, primarily Instagram, to which I am currently addicted :)
xx
My eldest is suited to an i-touch, I think. Bloody Apple, catering to all sorts ...
DeleteWho's Nikola Tesla? I'll look her? up.
On the whole, I'm a big conformist, but I think those people who are different and often be-littled by others offer us all something greater if we just took the time to understand and accept them.
The husband gave me an i phone in hospital and an i pad for chemo- the lengths I'll go to for technology. The i-pad is very flash for soduko, scrabble and Dora the explorer puzzles. The i-phone, I love it to bits and use about 100th of its potential.
ReplyDeleteAs for poor Mr Turing, the human race is a fickle and beastly thing sometimes. We can only learn and teach our children tolerance and appreciation of le difference.
How are you? We're all thinking of you, regardless of your possession of various i-products.
DeleteHow're the beanies? Do you need food? Apples?
I'm going to overdose on Apple technology I feel.
I have a love hate relationship with my iPhone. I love that I have access to my email / twitter / FB / blogs etc etc 24/7 but I also hate that I can't escape my work (because all of those things go along with my teeny tiny crafty business).
ReplyDeleteI hate the fact that I can't just switch the phone off because of the whole Tx call accessibility issue.
I'm longing for a technology free holiday!
CurlyPops, I can believe that you'd need to keep the lines of communication open. That's the most important thing for you. Dammit. Compatible lungs appear and give Cam a break! (That's my deepest wish for you).
DeleteYou are a treasure. I learn something from every post you write. I don't have an Iphone or Ipad. Luddite, I tell you.
ReplyDeletexo
Deb, you don't need technology to shine.
DeleteLove this post! What's that breeze? Why, it's a breath of fresh air, thank you! I am happy that society is changing, but, unfortunately, there is still soooo much bigotry and bias....
ReplyDeleteI live with my iPad 2. There is an application called Blogpress that makes it easy to blog straight from the iPad. I read e-books, watch Netflix, take pictures, do research for work, etc. The only thing I have difficulty with is writing long pieces. I love the iPad!
Neen, I hear you. I worry about old people and vulnerable children the most. I think a lot of minorities now have a voice, and there is a different group of people who are being ignored.
DeleteI-pad it is! I-pads for Everyone!
We have both the phone and the pad at our place. My only two prior phones were 1. size of a brick with yellow cover, 2. flip open so obviously I am not a technological mover and shaker. The iphone is amazing and I am sure I too am only using 2% of its capabilities but am a massive convert. The ipad is Roboboy's- important people felt it would be useful for him. We feel it is more important to limit how much he is actually on it so he adequately uses the small quota of social skills he has been allotted. If you get one can highly recommend the toca boca games for small girls- except when they manage to download one while you are hanging out the washing- thank god it was only a 99 cents.
ReplyDeleteAnd I too had never heard of Turing, very inspiring story. Our family Turing just received student of the week, not for using kind words, sharing or thoughtfulness. No, for persistence and perseverance in solving a problem. The problem being where to seat the naughtiest boy in class. Some complex algorithm was designed involving desk location,proximity to the teacher,previous neighbouring child combinations that had not worked well etc etc. Proud moments all round really. melx
Have you got the phone and pad at your pad?
DeleteI think I need to ruffle Roboboy's hair. Would he let me?
There's nothing more important than positioning the naughtiest boy in the class. I know the teacher would've appreciated that help.
I can remember being in Grade 2 and being sat next to the nose-picking boy in the class who used to stash his booty under the base of his desk. A lot of crying and gagging from me saw him moved to the other side of the room!
PS My Turing is less the mathematical genius, more the flamboyant Broadway actor.
Love that dress.
ReplyDeleteInteresting re:Turing. I'm stunned that kind of treatment occured. Disgraceful.
iPhone don't have. Touch phones annoy me. I always accidentally hang up on people or mute them with my ear or cheek. And I don't have overly large cheeks or ears so it's 100% the phone's fault (i have a small touchphone bought solely for it's size. In a rare instance, smaller is better.)
An iPad on the other hand does appeal to me, being able to sit in bed on ebay comfortably. Although on the other hand I curse them for taking away people's desire to still purchase paper books and newspapers. I love paper books and newspapers. Both things hold everything past and present. I sound like a complainer this afternoon - i think it's wine o'clock....
Yee gad woman! Hair ruffling! Are you crazy? I had to learn how to cut hair because otherwise he would look like Young Einstein rather than let some random near it. And we only do it quarterly, with a a lot of warning and bribes. And I don't think there is mathematical genius, more big ideas with a few big confabulated words thrown in. Favourite word of the week - strengthability.
ReplyDeleteHow interesting about Turing. You never cease to educate me and I'll keep coming back for more.
ReplyDeleteLast year I made the switch to everything mac - desktop, iphone and then ipad. And I love it.
And then I got a full time job in an office run off a PC, Office and Internet Explorer. It's not good.
Come over to the other side. The iphone changed my life. It even made me RUN. Miraculous.
The 3 and 5 year olds do perhaps love the apples more than they love me, and the 5 year old has been known to say 'see Mum, that's why we should have our own iphones'. Tell her she's dreamin'.
I cannot imagine what I did before an iPhone ... probably tidied the house! Also have the original iPad ... meh! Great for travelling but give me a big screen Mac any day. Curious about Turing when I saw the tribute to him via Google. Had a play with the header & then looked him up on Wikipedia. How sad for the man who helped save so many lives via his genius. How barbaric! Mind you, I wouldn't mind doing some of what was done to Turing to habitual paedophiles.
ReplyDeletemust admit i did not know this man before reading your post.
ReplyDeleteshame on me?!
happy to finally drop by, into the secret club...
korean au pair! wow! cool!
good luck with her.
and moomin cookies in the supermarket. yumyumyum
looking forward to get some scandinavian food SOON!
love and hugs
Hi MMMC, I just left this link for you on my blog, but you're more likely to find it here! http://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/community/community-support/funeral-planning-and-grave-search/grave-location-search/index.htm
ReplyDeleteClick on the link at the top of the page to find your grandmother. Good luck.
Madam R,
DeleteI'll look at your link. Thanks a heap.
Good god! Thanks to my computer freezing I just noticed your beautiful swan at the top of the page? Is this an authentic 1950s one? I have been searching for one for nearly a year. The problem is their necks. They are either the pride of the garden, therefore well cared for, but their owners don't want to part with them. Or.....they are discarded in the garden, unloved and unwanted, but their necks are cracked. One showed up at New Farm Antiques but it was $250!
ReplyDeleteIt is an original. It came from one of my good pals. I think it was from her Aunty Grace. There were two. She gave one to me and kept one from herself, but the neck on hers was broken by a tradie. Disrespectful man. Her husband plans on fixing it. We laugh because Aunty Grace painted the eyes red and the internal bowl red too, so the whole thing's a bit demonic! I sometimes worry mine will get stolen. Maybe I need guard wombats like you have.
Delete$250 is a steal! You should have nabbed it if it was an old large one. A certain well known Brisbane designer starts them at $1200 dollars. Xxxx
DeleteI admit to being an apple owner. The whole family has iPhones and I have both lap top and IPad. iPads are wonderful learning tools for kids, particularly ones like my Lotte. Touch screens...fantastic communication devices. I recommend getting one 100% Hannah and her sisters is my favorite movie...closely followed by manhattan murder mysteries, purple rose of Cairo, ahhh radio days oh so many I can watch them over and over and I bore my family with quoting woody on a regular basis. I don't watch much tv so I have missed the fiake some am super peeved I missed the first half of the doco but will see if I can get thanks for the tip off. Xxxx
ReplyDeleteI just had a typing error....aargh sorry....I blame the iPad ha
ReplyDeleteHow's that for some serendipity, or rather just a coincidence, but I went to the Turing exhibit at the science museum on the weekend. Got to see his ACE computer too. Recently, there was a lovely documentary about him on the telly. I specifically kept the brochure because I enjoyed it so much.
ReplyDeleteHow's that for some serendipity, or rather just a coincidence, but I went to the Turing exhibit at the science museum on the weekend. Got to see his ACE computer too. Recently, there was a lovely documentary about him on the telly. I specifically kept the brochure because I enjoyed it so much.
ReplyDelete