Wednesday, June 6, 2012

It's almost the next weekend


Who's read this book? If no one has, can you please hurry up and do so? I'm not sure I've read a book which has had such an affect on me. I couldn't read it fast enough. But then I had to put it out-of-reach at times because I couldn't read it at all because it was so heart-breaking. Every character meant something to me. And when it ended, I sobbed. Poor lad.

Really. The best thing I've read. I'm still trying to come-up with reasons why I shouldn't be so pre-occupied with it. I can't say I enjoyed reading it ... As for 'Bleak House', I haven't gotten past the Introduction.


Il bisonte. What's not to love?


New glasses. Who's behind me on this?


My soccer men. The weekends fly by. Thank goodness we're in for a long-weekend soon. I used to despise long-weekends when I was a stay-at-home. Now!? I long for them.


What do you think of the Acapulco? Would you bring one of these home or a leather butterfly chair?




We've been spending most weekends meandering, at will, around Paddington.
 


And growing.


And measuring such growth.




This is Korean H's side entrance. She arrives in a little more than a week. I hope Martha stops vomiting and is toilet trained by then. Ha! 


The quilt's been a right pain in the neck. Seems I need a 'walker foot' for the machine which is proving hard to source for a Bernina circa 1963.



We'll get there. Still reading?

18 comments:

  1. I love a good meander. I wish I could be Korean H. There's too much sweetness in this post.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could be Korean H also. But I don't think you could pull off a Korean accent.

      Delete
  2. I just checked out your book. Not available until November over here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, I think you'd think it was too sad.

      I'm spoiling the plot for everyone, but I'm still thinking about it.

      Delete
    2. I do like sad books though. I have a melancholy spirit.

      Delete
  3. Yes dear, still reading.
    Leather butterfly chair, for sure. Especially if it's meant for sitting on.
    And the book - thanks for the suggestion, I have been wondering what to read. Am a little bogged down in Orlando Fige's "The Whisperers" at the mo. Will your recommendation be less harrowing, hmmm?
    And as for new glasses. Not so sure. Personally I'm waiting for "80s Macauley Culkin" fad to pass and the 60s cat's eyes to come back.
    Later, gater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My recommendation is very Australian. You'll like that aspect. It's quick read, but an exhausting one.

      Is 'The Whisperers" worth a go, as I adjust my 80s over-sized tortoise shells?

      Delete
  4. I'm off to order the book. Though if it's more intense than 'Old Pig' I won't get through it.
    Get better Martha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, still reading. The book sounds a bit harrowing. I'm emotional sponge so am not sure I could hack it as I do tend to get immersed in books.
    Hope Martha is feeling better soon. xx
    ps Molly would be happy to skype :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Molly would take to Skyping, I suspect. It'll happen one day, you watch. I'm ready to Skype!

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the book club idea. It will be my turn to suggest something soon. At present I only seem to be reading misery lit in the form of blogs on a new healthcare site I've, a good book will be a welcome distraction.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually a good book club book. A quick read, and a lot of loose ends and interesting relationships and themes. Though at the back of my edition, it had 'Year 12 essay'-type questions, which for me cheapened the book. But they were the sorts of questions I guess are the basis of a book club. They were quite 'theme-y'. I'm more interested in the characters and what makes them tick.

      Delete
  7. Ha! Favel is a close friend of a friend. I, shamefully, have not yet read my copy. But I will now - once I've finished Shades of Grey. (I'm not embarrassed. I'm only reading it for the articles. And to be part of the badly-written zeitgeist. ) Shallows is shortlisted for the Miles Franklin! I'll pass on your affectedness. Your affectiveness? Your affectation? Your praise.

    The quilt is looking lovely. And the leather butterfly chair. Looks more comfortable. I must say I'm not taken with the neon craze... or anything South American-related (or Mexican-related): who'd want to go THERE?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, what sort of crazy person would want to live in South America, or Chile more specifically?!

      I overheard the bookstore girly talking about the 'Shades' series with another customer and I was going to look at them but then 'Miles Franklin' note card caught my eye ... I'm a shameless 'Awards-ophile.

      Anyway, I'm floored you know Ms Parret. Can you please tell her that I haven't felt this way about a book for a long time. I want to read it again, but at the same time, I can't bring myself to. You can tell her that while I was reading it, I marvelled at her writing ability, because I never felt like I was reading a book, I felt like I was a part of those two boys and I just wanted to save them.

      Overdramatic? Maybe.

      Delete
  8. Oh dear, it sounds grueling. I've told my friend who knows her your response and he said he bawled during the 'wild squally tragic climax'. That really surprises me as he's hard as nails. I don't think I want to read it, feeling a bit fragile at the moment. I'll tell him your message to pass on to Favel. Next on my list is 'Lets Pretend This Never Happened' - bit of light comedy is what I need. Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was keen to look at this tome but you have frightened me, ladies , into a timid corner. I will continue to read Dora and Boots on Valentine Mountain and Alison Lester's 'Ruby' as I fall asleep at 8 pm or 3 am.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read it last year. It was a heart-breaking read but so beautifully written. Did it win the Miles Franklin? Haven't kept track.
    I'd go leathery butterfly chair, but the acapulco you could have indoors and out. Also there are some mid century house tours coming up at the end of the month, documentary night and architect talks that Chris has organised. Want to come? I'll send you the details. xx

    ReplyDelete