Sunday, July 1, 2012

A weekend in two parts - One Blog Post


PART ONE:

It's big blog posts like this that make me regret not having a publicised blog, only because the second half of this post is a ripper. Friday, I had lunch with Helen. I had a heavily-gravied Japanese curry which left me squirming under my desk for the rest of Friday afternoon.


This is my latest read. Another story about a family in regional Australia. I haven't finished it yet, but it's worth it. So many fictional families grappling with so many issues.

Korean takeaway for dinner. We've jumped on the Korean bandwagon.


I'm generally happy if I can get some ironing done on the weekend ...


... and a spot of grocery shopping.


I sprung the women behind us at the check-out grimacing at the check-out boy. I can't understand why four children at a supermarket cause such a sensation. I hate taking mine because of the looks I get.

We played with our hair.


Speaking of bands ...


For the most part, we're Directioners, and took ourselves to the One Direction Pop-Up Shop.


(Insert loud pop music and a lot of screaming teenage girls here).



And then we took ourselves to the Asian supermarket because the packaging's so cool, and the bright plastic cutlery is so cheap.
I deleted the MakeMineMidCentury blog on Friday, and I regret that now I have all the below photos to show you! Sit!


PART TWO:

Today I attended the House Tour component of the MAD weekend, run by Australian Modern publishers. 

About 40-odd people saw four fabulous Mid-Century homes in Brisbane. The organisers and home owners were all so lovely and welcoming. I'm definitely going on the next tour. This home is in Aspley.




The kitchen was fabulous and incorporated what I think were some of the home's original tiles in an, albeit, modern application.


The next home was in Ashgrove. It was a more modern-take on MCM. I really have a thing for wall Units. There's Reader 3 for those of you who know her! For those of you who don't know her, she's Martha's Godmother, which is good because Martha sure needs some guidance especially in the supermarket-behaviour department.



This was my absolute favourite house which is in Tarragindi, built in the early 70s and only recently sold by its owner-architect. The present owners said they've done virtually nothing to it, other than have a gardener spruce the garden.


It was such a stunning house where I could imagine a family of four children, specifically two boys and two girls, could live.



Let's just look at the pictures shall we? You may recognise some famous bloggers as you work your way through the coming gallery of divinity.




That fellow is the architect, in the dining room, explaining his plans to a famous blogger.


The lounge room was sunken. I could sense it's sunkenness with my sixth-sense for sunkenness.




Brown tiles. Word had it, they're from Germany. It's stuff like that that gets me all-a-quiver. And cork floors ... Don't get me started on cork floors!


Many on the tour were a bit older than Reader 3 and I, and I thought it was nice to see. 


This place with the orange door and crazy paving was in Carina - designed by Donald Spencer (not the man from Playschool as my husband thinks).


Kitchen. Cork floors.



There are my boots at the door, looking like they just don't want to leave.


Look at it!


Now, I have do iron some shirts. Toodles.

14 comments:

  1. I did a very big grocery shop with the team in tow today on our way through the metropolis, all of us dressed in rather dirty work clobber. Sally remarked that people stared. I was beyond caring.
    My people would reject those Korean fried eggs, definitely no busted yolks allowed here.
    And excuse my ignorance, but before finding your blog I had absolutely no idea people had such a penchant for mid-century living. Do love the idea of a sunken lounge though. And will be photographing my in-laws' cork tiles for you next visit.
    You have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous homes! I do think we mid-century lovers are often under many people's radar. When exposed to it, some immediately get it and some never do. I was working at the store the other day, and a man came in with his wife. He went from item to item, much to her chagrin, saying, "What??? You want THIS MUCH for this?" He said that about a Noguchi Cyclone table, a set of Saarinen Executive chairs, a Paul McCobb Irwin Collection credenza with a travertine top and a Jens Risom sofa, among other things. He simply couldn't grasp that mid-century furnishings could be worth anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Silly grimacing woman at the checkout. If I'd been there with you I would have sorted her out.

    I spotted a famous blogger in the mirror in the sunken lounge room. You don't know you're beautiful. Oh, oh, oh. That's what makes you beautiful.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me a sunken lounge - I love me a sunken lounge!
    The homes are amazing. I'm digging the orange door too.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Firstly can I say that you have very cool children. I think they could just be the next One Direction if you can encourage a rock band to form. A Partridge Family- One direction combo deal with a dash of The Cure thrown in.
    Secondly, I only have two and I get looks in supermarket checkouts. If I had four there would be a family mug shot and some sort of tazar alarm system at the entrance.
    Thirdly, some very inspiring interiors, that first kitchen presumably they were the tiles on the walls- looks a little like vj's. And the wall unit was very clever too. I had no idea cork tiles could do that to a girl. Very informative. melx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your Solid Golds are welcome in my grocery store any time. They are growing! Love Martha's new 'do. Those homes are amazing. MCM is hardly to be found around here alas. I like that girl in the mirror.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I never understand why people are rude, it's such a waste of time and it only serves to make them look bad and unhappy. Sorry you have to deal with it. Come to Washington D.C., people may get rude over 1. Lack of electricity due to a wind storm, when we were supposed to rebuild the energy grid after 9/11 due to security reasons, and didn't (guess which war the money went to) and now even the police and emergency phone lines are down in this area 2. Something to do with some election coming up, or 3. The store misrepresented the sale price. But, I do not see people getting upset over children ?? Seriously, who are those people? (aren't you glad we're a closed blog now?)

    I love that last house, and the wall unit is exactly the same as those in a book I just bought from the 1960s on building modern furniture. I am think of taking a carpentry course to learn how to use power tools so I can build some of the beautiful furniture in the book. The plans are quite simple and streamlined.
    How is your broadway star? Best, Neen

    ReplyDelete
  8. It was a fabulous tour. Inspiring and enlightening. Who knew all that beauty lurked in the suburbs. Oh, the passion and joy architecture and design can ignite in such diverse places and people. And everyone was so lovely ... no one on the tour would have grimaced at your SG Dancers. We should take them next time. Maybe they could help with directions.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think you're living on the wrong side of town. SG dancers are a norm at our local supermarket. As are circus performers. And the odd geriatric nursing home escapee. No one flutters an eyelid when the boys are fisticuffing over who can press the elevator button first.

    That tour was fun. And so many big name bloggers!! I tried to get a shot of that massive totem. That's serious tiki love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. As one of my young friends said recently; " Haters will always be haters" after hearing that I've stopped worrying so much about scowls. Should you ever make it to London you must time it to coincide with the Open House weekend, brilliant. We spend an entire afternoon gazing at other people's homes and restricted Government buildings and even Embassies, before finishing it off with a champagne high tea. One of my favourite days of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love taking my five shopping. Always have. I particularly like the back stare which I send burning deep into the retinas of offending starers till they break gaze. We mothers of many have our techniques for making it work which the unimaginative Judge Janes simply cannot fathom. Now they are older I just ask the boys to meet me in the surf shop to choose me a new beanie. Meanwhile, your mid century jaunt has sent me all a flutter. Iron that mu-mu. Is there a house warming coming up?

    ReplyDelete
  12. PS Wheree is that Asian supermarche.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that was a weekend worth having wasnt it?
    I would have taken my suitcase on the tour and unpacked it at the house of my choosing which would be that 70's number and just made myself comfy with a mag in that living room.
    It is these sorts of questons about life that leads me to belief there is NOT a god....questions such as: "why do these people own and live in this house and not me?" Why dont I have a groovy retro orange frontdoor?"
    Im sure you get my meaning here......Im not I could do this sort of tour because of the deep melancholy that would follow awash with copious glasses of red.
    It would be more than a mid century loving gal could bear.
    On an up note those vases and that gorgeous little girl with bunches in her hair are very comforting.....alas 4 boys in a supermarket can never be anything but an example of realism heeheehee! Perhaps you should have said "what are you grimacing about? I have to go home with em!" That would have been a dose of reality to the ol whatsit.....

    Thankyou for this very long post I actually forgot where I was (at work oops)and I like those sorts of stories so will be looking for this book when I next visit the bookshop.

    Have a wonderful week

    Helen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That Tarragindi house is an absolute cracker!!!

    ReplyDelete