Hello. I don't post too often any more, do I?
This weekend past, I took part in the annual MAD weekend house tour, organised by the publishers of Australian Modern
magazine.
For one who doesn't do much that doesn't involve swimming goggles or school uniforms or a trip on public transport to work, it is quite the highlight of my social calendar.
For one who doesn't do much that doesn't involve swimming goggles or school uniforms or a trip on public transport to work, it is quite the highlight of my social calendar.
Without fear of boring you all stupid with photos of unknown people's
houses I'm going to do just that.
And I'll ponder what makes a great
home as we go. Because I saw four great homes on the tour - each of them
different, but for me there was a commonality between them all.
A great
home for me is actually not how it is designed but how it's lived in. Given the first home on
the tour was an early 20th Century Queenslander in which I have not much
interest, but it was bursting with books and art and memories which
made it absolutely marvellous.
I think a great home has nothing new. I didn't see anything that I now see in interiors magazines or in shops.
Items sat where there were, ready to be used. Gorgeous stoneware and heavy crockery. Nothing was contrived or screamed 'vignette'!
Everything was neat and clean and meaningful.
The other thing I noticed in all four homes was art-filled walls.
and an abundance of indoor plants.
Lots of natural brown furniture.
I'm on a mission now to pull out all my books which sit in boxes and stack them on shelves and pot indoor plants like there's no tomorrow and frame children's paintings.
I wish someone had sat me down when I was about 10 and said to me,
"You know you could be an architect", because you know what, I probably would've taken them up on the idea.
This was my favourite house. Currently on the market for private sale.
Lots of stonework, timber features and simplicity.
Yes. I know. You don't have to say it.
Unfortunately for all concerned, its architectural provenance puts its price tag beyond par, so these wooden cabinets and I will never become better acquainted in a daily, domestic sense.
Can't you just imagine a standard poodle's head popping itself through that back door?
I sure can.
Though there's nowhere to hide when the Jehovahs come uninvited on a Saturday morning. Would have to come up with a contingency plan in that respect, such as releasing the standard poodle.
See? Art and plants. That's what makes a great home.
Not sure about the zebra skin.
This is an architect's studio.
The end.
Fabulous photos! I forgot to bring my normal camera and my photos did no justice to the homes!! You'll have to do Brisbane Open House in October and the Californian Modern at GOMA in November...social calendar is filling up. And yes, art, plants and respect made those home great! xx
ReplyDeleteRight then B-mod. Give me the date of the Brisbane Open House and I'll lock.it.in.
DeleteI have an magazine article magnetized to the fridge to remind me of the exhibit which I'll be running to.
Respect to you my friend. I loved seeing you on the house tour. I'm taking two weeks off in July so maybe we should go west with Katherine?
Just saw this. I'll email you. xx
DeleteYou may not post often MMMC, but we're all grateful when you do. Whilst I may not have the appreciation of mid-century architecture that you do, I love seeing what you've been looking at, and I'm learning.
ReplyDeleteMy home needs more art.
And a cleaner.
Bless you Fiona. I don't have enough time to visit wholesome enjoyable blogs like yours any more. Curses!
DeleteMy home needs a cleaner too. Let's get one to share. She can spend one day at my house, two days driving to yours, one day at your house, and two days driving back to mine.
You are too funny. I agree a home needs lots of art but the plants? Hmmm, I can never find anywhere to put them around here. We also have stacks of books and use them for end tables, there's a DIY tip for ye.
ReplyDeletexo
Deb, you are too funny. What's happening with your blog? I think it'd be hard to have indoor plants in the wilds of Canada esp. when it's minus 0.
DeleteI'm hauling my books from the deepest recesses of storage and turning them into furniture, just as you suggest.
Miss you Deb.
I love lots of art and plants too. They give a house depth and texture that nothing else can.
ReplyDeleteDana, you're spot on there. And great furniture from a purveyor of fine mid-century furniture. You forgot that. I wish I were closer to you and you'd be my personal designer/supplier.
DeleteI love the same house you love MMMC, if I was rich I'd buy it for you because it deserves someone who would really love it like you would. Someone who would fill it with brown furniture, pot plants and her kiddos drawings not with stylish but boring vignettes (although I am a victim of s.vs. myself).
ReplyDeleteYou don't post much anymore and that's a pity.
Glad we're not the only family to hide when the preachers come a knocking. Love to you x
Hey. Don't think I'm dissing your vignettes. I'd lie if I said I'd never vignetted. But you know and I know the kind of vignettes I'm talking about.
DeleteI always hide when the Jehovahs Witnesses come knocking. Really, it's more for them than me. And then I have one Solid Gold Dancer who has to berate me at 1000 decibels for not being polite and accommodating and welcoming etc.
There 2 things I love about this post - the words and the pictures!! I echo your sentiments about houses/homes, I hate a contrived house!
ReplyDeleteI too wanted to be an architect, I distinctly recall telling them in my interview for a check out chick job when I was 14 &9 months!! Who ever said you need a university degree.......
Ps, Brisbane open house are on Instagram so you can follow there and sign up to their emails.
Pps on of my best gal pals is managing the California modern exhibit, I'm gunning for free tix and have told her of your blog ;))))
Elizabeth,
Deleteafter walking through these homes it really dawned on me what I like and what I don't. I find myself shuddering now at interior design blogs when I compare the photos with what I saw on the tour.
I will check out the instagram Open House. Thank you. And I feel like some sort of superstar reading you've flogged the blog to an arty-type! Thank you. (Better 'up' my game).
Hear, hear re. the vignettes. And potplants, and art. You nailed it with your analysis, MMMC ;)
ReplyDeleteMooksy,
Deleteyou're ab big art fan. I think I'd love your house. There's a leaning toward timber isn't there? A good home has to also have a couple of boys.
I think you and I could be tarred with the same brush, MMMC as your comment on vignettes had my head nodding in agreement. Same goes for the word 'muse'. We so have to meet one day ...
ReplyDeleteLove that home with the ducks in the yard. I totally agree with you on the uncontrived bit and the plants and art reflecting the owners taste. You know how I feel about Vignettes :-)
ReplyDeleteI love these houses so much the paneling in the first house is exactly what I want to do in my house in the living room at the moment it has that cheap fake wood panelling which I detest but I think I can achieve this with plywood. Ive just bookmarked this post and added it to my to do list.
ReplyDeleteThanks for doing these posts they really are wonderful references and I enjoy the narratives too.
Helen :)