Sunday, August 28, 2011

This Weekend


Today was so warm that we opened windows that haven't been opened for months.

I am excited about an impending Spring, but am also worried about those in the Northern Hemisphere who get the polar opposite of what we experience here in Summer. 


Speaking of the Northern Hemisphere, my Landlord, his wife and their daughter, who happens to be our cousin, sent us a post card from Norway. There it is on the fridge. It means they come home soon. They'll probably want their house back.


We'd better not show the Landlord, his wife and their daughter this mess behind the TV.

We only cleaned behind there a week ago, and it's not as if anyone can fit behind there because the blasted television is against the wall.

How does this crap get behind there?


No, this isn't NYC post-Irene. That is our lounge-room. 


I'd like to introduce the bulk of my work attire. It's meagre, but it's honest.


These are my two favourite shirts. I haven't worn the checked one yet. That'll be tomorrow!


Look at the cuffs. What do they say to you? To me, they say 'Stepping Out'.


These shirts go well with costume jewellery. These strands of beads were the ones Grandad bought for his girlfriend, but somehow Grandma got them and side-passed them to me some decades ago. They need re-stringing which I'll do soon, because I have nightmares about beads bouncing between the traffic on George Street.


I read once that one should get beads re-strung every six months. That's probably the case if you're a bejewelled roller-derbier, but I tend to approach things a little less physically.


There's a Bentley or Rolls which has seen better days. 

We spent the weekend mooching about in the dirt.


Making roads ...


and generally getting our hoofs filthy before we climbed into Mum's bed for a story.


Sometimes we are, sometimes we aren't.


So, the BAD LITTLE GIRL throws tantrums, does she? 

That's an idea!

19 comments:

  1. "Only cleaned behind there a week ago", yeah, good one! That's my line too!
    On a more serious note, I love your shirts, even modern country perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the same thing as you today ... threw open the windows & discovered a virtual world of mould I didn't know existed. Probably been there since January ... didn't open the windows then because of the rain, didn't open them when it finally stopped raining because of the cold.
    As an experienced renter, I suggest also looking for misplaced items i.e. toys, atop curtain rods & pelmets, as well as in light fittings, although the smell of burning plastic may make their whereabouts evident sooner, rather than later (Happy Meal toys seem to have a low burn threshold).
    I also suggest getting Grandad's girlfriends pearls restrung. I had my Nan's crystals restrung & they look fabulous now.
    Fin ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has your au pair left the nest?

    Your work attire is pretty cool. I can see you in those gorgeous shirts arguing your case. A win for you every time :)

    Monday tomorow - have a fabulous week. Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the shirts a lot.

    Don't you hate little hidden places like behind the TV? - half the stuff I find I am certain we never owned. Where does it come from???

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took the legs off the sofas when the kids were little - yep, the sofas were a bit low'n'slouchy, but it beat having to rescue all the crap they managed to bowl under them ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't have four childs. What's my excuse for the mess behind the television? Better edit the reading material about naughty girls. Don't want to give Martha any ideas. I can just picture you stepping out in your lovely work attire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I get huge dust bunnies everywhere I hope they don't revolt someday!
    I love her rag doll in bed with her.....love the book title!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post, cool shirts (specially the blue check). Scary thought -- possibly having to move. Is that what you meant?

    ReplyDelete
  9. What great work shirts - and lovely suits. Back in the day I would have loved those. Hope Noodle is still noodling.

    ReplyDelete
  10. there's nothing better than playing in the dirt and getting hooves dirty, unless you're wearing very cool business-like work attire that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your dirt looks manageable.
    I spent a very short time yesterday in the land of the Big-red Dirt. None dragged in yet onto the new carpet.
    It's more red ochre paint than dirt.
    I'm sure the original inhabitants of this continent drooled over our dirt, looked for a cave, and went for it on the walls.
    Seriously, I'm now going to install signs saying "leave your shoes at the door".
    It's so amazing to see a dust and mould free area. (Thank you dear Tina. You may be small in stature, but huge in your cleaning and tidying skills.)
    And with my world class mess-creator of a husband, the expanse of neatness literally took my breath away.
    Love the shirts muchly. Just you professionally.
    A navy suit or two would be perfect.
    However, I would stop any thought of a bow tie.
    Keep it smart and simple I say.
    You must have fond memories of that book from your childhood. At the time, your lack of interest was vast.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quick! Check the sandpit! They may have buried Finnish K in the roadworks-organised grime and all that. Natty shirts and beads are lovely. Less is more except when referring to large herds of childerbeast.

    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes,
    what about miss aupair?! can't she dive behind the tv and clean up after irene? :)
    just kidding.
    but i always wonder about those pedantic kinds who somehow manage to have a neat house with kids around. how? electric shocks?

    those shirts are handsome. sure you will look very sexy in them and the pearls!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Its so nice to see a bit of reality in blogland. I just see too many perfectly neat homes out there, so yours is refreshing.
    I'm loving the shirts. I have been thinking of investing in a check shirt, but maybe a bit more cowboy? I'm remembering that herringbone post on your blog with those weird model conversations. Funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. SarahB,
    I was flicking through the latest Herringbone catalogue on the weekend, and the models started talking to me again. I may have to relay what they said.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fiona,
    you're onto us, aren't you? Can't pull the wool over another mother's eyes! And I respect your shirt opinion.

    LittlemissAG, thanks for that tip. I guess there's also a lot of things in the garden which I couldn't be bothered retrieving.

    Pammie,
    Finnish K's still around. Cleaning behind the electrical goods isn't part of her brief. Or maybe she's the one who's tossing everything behind there in an effort to make me think she's putting things away! Ha.

    AFW,
    I find a lot of things in pockets too. And I think, 'where the hell did this come from?' You'd be finding tractors and cropdusters I'm guessing.

    Trashsparkle,
    you're some sort of genius. Genius, I tell you.

    Debbish, you have an errant horse who I'd be blaming.

    Polkadotheidi,
    dust must be universal. Is there no escape?

    Jane,
    yes, a move is imminent. I try not to think about it.

    Amanda,
    we're having lunch one day.

    CBS,
    I worry about getting dressed too early in the morning considering the stains one attacts from small children - dirt being just one.

    DMC,
    good for you re new carpet. You should invite the grandchildren to visit.

    Kylie,
    Finnish K spent the w'end at Byron Bay! I haven't seen her for days.

    Annie,
    more is more when referring to childish wilderbeasts. Hope yours are all performing as they should.

    sarapirat,
    thank you. I can't imagine how anyone could keep a house clean with kids. Professional cleaners, I suspect. I wish for professional cleaners.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Where will you go when your cousin wants the house back??? I hope you're looking for a mid-century place. xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cuffs and pearls say dressed for success; but not in a Roxette manner.

    ReplyDelete