Saturday, October 22, 2011

Holls Douse

If I wasn't doing-up a dolls' house, I'd have nothing to say.

Lucky for you, I've gone all obsessive compulsive about it, so it's now all I'll talk about.

If you go here, you'll be able to see how many people are doing-up houses, and what great things they're getting up to.

Fearing mine'll look slightly unambitious, I shot off to Reverse Garbage to find some inspiration.


It's a pretty-funny place filled with lids and cardboard and rubber and old off-cuts.


I think everyone in Brisbane's been there bar me.


I found a whole lot of stuff I could use.


It's really like an adult-sized Play School Useful Box.



Here are some of those big barrels Anon Annie's just painted.


And here's $19.75 worth of potential.


Today I painted the back blackboard, painted four rooms, laid vinyl in two rooms, cut a sheep-skin rug and a cow-hide rug. 

Tomorrow I'll wallpaper.

I'm also thinking of making some chairs and doing something with that crazy fabric-covered yoghurt cup I made the other day.

Crafty.


Reverse Garbage is near a train line. Child 3 loves trains. I'm hoping he'll follow a career in engineering as opposed to just being into graffiti.

17 comments:

  1. It's just like crafty hoarders heaven. Luckily there's not one anywhere near me or there'd have to be a family intervention!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My child 1 loved trains too, we used to follow the steam ones from station to station in the car when they did there special days, I wonder if that still happens. Nothing beats the sound of a steam train. The dolls house is sounding fantastic, can't wait for the final reveal, I don't know where you find the time to do all you do. Xx Katherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should be their....lol. Double major in English lit and I still can't spell.xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. That warehouse is a brilliant idea - are they all over Australia, or a one-off?

    Wish I could say my progress with my life-size house was as good as yours with the dolls house; painted a wall last Thursday, couldn't be ***ed to get ladder out of cellar, so top 4" of wall remains unfinished...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Someone told me about that place today!
    Looks brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Trashsparkle, I think Reverse Garbage are in a few other States, because I looked them up on the www before I left.They're a great idea. There was a queue for the check-out, and I'll go back if I have some sort of school dress-up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Finally you are on the RG bandwagon. We love it and lucky for us we live close. They do workshops on school hols too. Can you start blogging daily with a room by room expose? it might compensate for my withdrawels from "The Block". melx

    ReplyDelete
  8. You can borrow my blog tag MMMC - turning a sow's ear into a silk purse business if you want. Fun and plywood? Fun and Dolls' House? You'll need a bald shirtless doll too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. So many barrels, so little time. I feel a yen to paint another one. Last time we went it was in West End so we have yet to try the new warehouse. The boys might be interested in weapon and modding supplies! What about a Reverse Garbage Birthday Party?! Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a neat place! Beats dumpster diving any day. Can't wait to see what you create. Say hi to Child 3 for me.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't been there for years. And I think I miss it. I will be asking Annie to pick up some of those barrelos for me. And you're going to have one hot looking Holls Douse. Ask Annie about her plastic crowns from RG, a great party idea from years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Why haven't I heard of this place? I'm going to have to find out whether we have one in SA. You must be having a ball doing up the dolls house. I know I did! And you can go super creative with it and over the top! :) x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good luck with child 3 and the path for his future.
    That place sounds really cool. I think it would be dangerous for me to be let loose in there.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so jealous I cannot actually speak. Aaargh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That giant offcuts store looks like so much fun. I'm tempted to start reading about everyone's dolls house projects, but I'm getting over-excited enough just seeing what Max is up to with hers. I guess I can add yours to the list too. Show! I wanna see cow-skin rugs!

    My own doll's house is at my parents 200 miles away and I have boys. Humph.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aha!! I've been searching high and low for those cardboard drums & didn't even think of trying RG. Yippee!! Thanks MMMC xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the Play School Useful Box reference. So much potential here - you're really embracing the lateral thinking notion. So crafty!

    ReplyDelete