Sunday, October 23, 2011

You honestly think that I tried to run you over?

Sometimes, we ask Finnish K to teach us some words in her native tongue.

Pointless really, as Finnish is the most complicated language I've ever come across.

So, tonight, rather than pretending we'd ever remember anything she tried teaching us, I suggested she just talk to us in Finnish - I suggested she say something along the lines of:

"You're all a bunch of idiots. I'm sick of you all yelling and fighting and annoying me. I can't wait to the see the back of you all".

Those sentences sounded beautiful in Finnish, and I was shocked amazed at how easily the words tumbled quickly forth from Finnish K's mouth ...


Here she is applying make-up to the oldest child ... all in the name of "School Musical". Thank goodness we have Finnish K. I couldn't have weaved the eye-shadow magic she weaves.


Today we extended the hand of kindness, via a cut-up pear, to our Blue Tongue Lizard friend. You may see him/her in the top right of the above photo (at about one o'clock). I'm transfixed with the blue tongue lizard in our garden. I consider it the family pet, now old Noodle's gone (Golly I miss Noodle. I really do.)


But we discovered today that Blue Tongue Noodle is actually two lizards. I know it'll be difficult, but in the above photo you can see one sticking its nose out of the concrete in the top right (at about 2:45 o'clock) and then you can see the other one on the left (at about 8:53 o'clock).


"Yum. Yum. Yum. Pear. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you." (That's lizard-speak).

See his/her blue tongue? 

Not much is really going on here.

If either of those lizards so much as came within 20cms of me, I'd scream. They're not poodles.

Finnish K, who must be Gen Y or AA or something said I should watch my DVDs on my computer. So I did as she suggested, and last night lay in bed watching 'Manhattan'.


You can always rely on Woody A. to have some great furniture, a swag of indoor plants, and a satisfying amount of corduroy.


Isn't Mariel Hemingway gorgeous? Well, she was.


This is my pre-6AM ALARM CLOCK! EVERY DAY! ENOUGH ALREADY! (She'd better not date a 42-year-old script writer when she's 17).

17 comments:

  1. Those blue tongue lizards can really emit a loud chomp chomp when chowing down on fruit. We fed some banana to one that lurks under our old laundry concrete tub (now a herb planter) out in the garden and he/she sure did enjoy it by the sound it was making. I still miss our old dogs after 4+ years ... still have a cry from time to time, but we are making some headway on the long awaited promised poodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would gladly trade my nerve-shattering, insulting, torturous 5am alarm ... for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mariel Schpariel- everyone was gorgeous when Manhattan was out. Can't wait to see the new Woody where he does a Manhattan on Paris. Your blue tongue is the bees knees and Fin K. seems to have woven a spell on Ms. Emo too. Make-up indeed! Who'd have thunk it when she had that onion bag over her head last year!?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Woody.....he's so charming in a nerdy way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen to that last statement of yours!
    Watching dvds in bed leads to a trail of sleep deprivation, believe me I know.
    Your lizards scare me almost as much as bears.
    So does Woody.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Carmel,
    hello, my dear... always when my kids are ...hmm, say very lively... you are on my mind! So as now: my youngest will turn 7 next tuesday and she's going crazy with her excitement...
    'School Musical'? Your oldest one looks enjoying during the make-up... even if she's not a 6AM ALARM CLOCK as her little sister she'd better not date a 42-year-old script writer when she's 17-years-old!
    I love 'Manhattan'. Have you seen his newest movie: 'Midnight In Paris'? *sigh*

    Hugs for you,
    x Ariane
    Greetings to fiinish K. from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do the tails of Blue tongue lizards fall off if you pull on them? I've always wanted to know.
    Mook
    (won't let me comment as myself today... dunno why)

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your lizzards! It's been over a year since Lucy passed, and I still feel let down when I open the front door and don't hear a bark. I know she's not there, but it's a weird split second of forgetfulness and it's heartbreaking.
    Glad Finnish K can make you feel better by speaking incomprehensible things to you :) Also, I often use that same mascara!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Noodle is in a better place with a crown of stars.
    You'll still remember him even if you get another poodle.
    Like Annie's stuffed toys, Noodle will be telling his story to everyone there about his mad mother , her travels with him and the good times he had in your company.
    I'm very taken with the lizards as well.
    They'll have baby ones hidden somewhere under the concrete.
    Finnish K too, will be sorely missed.
    Give her my regards.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been bitten by our "pet" blue tongue (called Bluey!) and it really hurt, so don't get too close.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mook,
    I won't be getting close enough to pull on any lizard's tail, but I just read that their tails do drop off if required.

    I also just read that they're normally solo, but they'll pair-up between September and November, so what we saw yesterday may be been a boy and girl. Exciting.

    Possibly the lizard equivalent of a 42-year-old Jewish script writer and a 17-year-old high-school student.

    ReplyDelete
  12. An interesting look at the life of a lizard..didn't know they ate bananas or pears!

    ReplyDelete
  13. hahaha! about your last note, on a more private scale, i could tell you some horror stories for mothers. but only looking like horror stories. they weren't actually horror, but beautiful!

    and finnish k seems great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have an alarm clock rather similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi there!
    looks like the MoominAnny is a real gem! lucky you!
    i thought of you today because i'm frantically creating images for Christmas - and my catholic tendencies are showing :)
    madonna, madonna more madonna :)
    hope its warming up for you - its already snowed here.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. You may have to name your lizards. Bitossi is a suggestion.
    That alarm clock has the cutest face.

    ReplyDelete