Sunday, March 4, 2012

2012 Year of the Pot Plant

If Zigsma hasn't officially done so already, then I'm willing to step-up and declare 2012 the Year of the Potted Plant.


We've been dragging pots outside to get a whiff of some of this rain. Though that's probably ill advised on the verge of a move.


I took Martha to the Woolloongabba Antique Centre today to see if we could sniff-out some planters.

We had lunch.  When I say 'lunch',  I had a spinach and ricotta filo, and Martha had six pink MMs because she only eats 'pink' nowadays and I ordered her a chocolate milkshake which is brown, and it was too late to change it to strawberry so the nice lady behind the counter headed-off a tantrum by doping-up-little-Miss-Fussy-Pants with pink lollies.


And then we ran into the lovely Katherine. I took no photos.

Here's a tip I just gave Martha: If you're going to wee in the bath, you'll probably not want to drink the bath water.

You could give that piece of advice to pretty much anyone.

20 comments:

  1. Indeed, words to live by Martha.
    I'd no idea it was Year of the Pot Plant, you've inspired a blog post from me. Be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona, if you're sensible, you'd have showers.

      Can't wait to read your next post!

      Delete
  2. I am trying to decrease my pot plant numbers.... Would you believe when I moved to this house the previous farmer's wife left me 37 pots - some with plants and some without. She must have spent a lot of the day watering plants.

    Good luck moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 37 pots is really a plantation. Maybe some could be given to the school fete or something?

      Delete
  3. Isn't it great when you get someone in the service industry who actually use some gumption (and I'm not meaning the white stuff in a tub I'm continually using on the granite) and can see that you might need a little bit of a hand or would appreciate a kind thought rather than getting the surly assistant who can't wait for you to POQ with your tribe? And on a rainy day too. I'll have to remember the WAC when kids are feral. The barista might bring a little ray of welcome sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Little Miss A-G, I totally agree with you. This young lady was 'on the ball' ... when I went back to the counter I tee'd her up and suggested that when she deliver the chocolate milkshake, I would ask her 'Do you have any pink milkshakes?' and she'd reply, "No, we're all out!" And we'd both look really disappointed. But that plot didn't work, and that is when she came back with a saucer of pink MMs! What a genius!

      On a rainy day, just try and park close to the WAC!

      Delete
  4. Whenever I move my pot plants out from under the front veranda to catch the rain it invariably stops. And those concrete pots are heavy m's!
    I have many gorgeous retro concrete planters I've picked up from garage sales etc over the years. I nabbed then before they became cool and very expensive (at least they're expensive here in the West, are they pricey in your neck of the woods?) Most of them sadly are empty, but one day when our reno is finished I will plant them up probably with cactus/succulent type things.
    I love your swan btw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Kylie, I have a brother who, whenever he used to do his washing and hang it on the line, we could guarantee it'd rain, and then his washing would stay on the line for days! Students!

      Concrete pots are cheap if you buy them from Katherine! I think concrete figures, such as swans and donkeys etc. are hideously expensive.

      Delete
  5. Love the fist full of paint swatches! Frankly,you are still on
    easy street with the whole pink thing, as far as I can see she
    is still wearing brown, wait until she will only leave the house wearing one of those swatches. When that happens just drop her over here and she and Liongirl can give each other a pink-a-thon experience- we have more than enough to go round. melx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BG,
      we collected the swatches during the latest trip to Bunnings. I was shocked that she left the house wearing the Monkey shirt and pants. Usually she only wears one of two pairs of pink shorts or one of two pink shirts which she calls "Lady Penelope" clothes.

      I really don't like pink, but I pick my fights now-a-days.

      She'd love Liongirl. Really.

      Delete
  6. I hope you picked up a nice bullet planter from Katherine. She had a rather nice one from her blog post. I have to re-pot some of my plants. A few are rather sad. And Martha is like my little one except it all about blue or 'bloo' as he calls it.xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the planter! I may go back in the next couple of days. I saw some brown plates.

      Delete
  7. Love the sansevieria and the advice to Martha! We could all probably do well with more of each. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Dana,
      I had to look up Sansevieria. I just know them as 'mother-in-law's tongue'. They're considered a voracious weed here, I wonder if same in US? I got most of mine from a neighbour's trailer headed to the dump.

      PS I'm sure your little relatives are much more civilised.

      Delete
  8. We had many pot plants once but killed them systematically during the decade of the sleepless nights. We now rely on mother in law's tongue and jade plants. Apparently the former is bad chi at your front door because it is spiky and the latter good chi just because. We figure they cancel each other out. I have yet to get to Katherine's and would love to try one day if it is just to hunt down her concrete planters. Is is as child friendly as the Paddo antique centre? Is that long enough for you?

    ReplyDelete
  9. and I am laughing at the mother in laws tongue plant as it is now so trendy, but I remember it when I was a kid, there was masses of the stuff at my parents place (it grows, yes like a weed) and we called the garden bed in which it grew the Snake Pit, for good reason. I am yet to be able to bring myself to plant it in a perfectly nice glazed pot, and I can't say that I will ever will!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for that very sound advice about the bath! Also, where does she get pink m&ms?! Are they out just for Easter?

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are so smart with your motherly wisdom! that's a great lesson to learn young. and who can blame the little darlin' for loving pink? it goes with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are full of sage advice Mother. I do not do indoor plants, pot(ted) or otherwise. I always forget to water them and never seem to have a place for them. Hubby on the other hand... I have to clear a path on the kitchen table, it's full of pot, I mean plants!

    ReplyDelete