Every morning last week, Martha would give me this card and wish me a "Happy Father's Day!" and I'd put the card on my bedside table, and when I came home in the evenings it was gone.
Then the next morning, she'd repeat the process, and so on until this morning when she gave it to me again and wished me a 'Happy Father's Day".
In the supermarket, she wanted this pink pig, which is actually squeaky toy for dogs, so I bought it for her. Fathers do that sort of thing.
This photo of a baby Child Three has been kicking around lately. He had a funny little nose.
I was quite affected by Maurice Sendak's death during the week, so I gathered together his books and displayed them casually in a table-top montage.
I'm glad I did the table-top montage because everyone started reading the books again, and then they knashed their terrible teeth and roared their terrible roars. And Martha called her new dog toy, "Bumble Ardy". I don't know why I was so shocked by Sendak's death. Possibly it was because he only published a book last year; or because I really enjoyed his sense of humour; or because a figure who played a part in my growing-up is now dead. Who knows.
I'm glad I did the table-top montage because everyone started reading the books again, and then they knashed their terrible teeth and roared their terrible roars. And Martha called her new dog toy, "Bumble Ardy". I don't know why I was so shocked by Sendak's death. Possibly it was because he only published a book last year; or because I really enjoyed his sense of humour; or because a figure who played a part in my growing-up is now dead. Who knows.
Moving on. This book was very good. Probably not one for the Oldies, because some of the characters do some wild things of their own, so it may be a bit shocking for some.
Cufflinks at the ready? Here's another pair I picked up a while back. They're ceramic. I like the flowers, but I have to be careful waving my arms about. They could shatter. Ceramic cufflinks aren't such a great idea in retrospect.
I'm always thinking, 'house plants', and today I took the posse to a local nursery because the au pair's room needs some chlorophylling-up.
House plants.
House plants.
House plants.
House plant.
What's Father's Day if there's not a fight?
It's not Father's Day if there's not a fight.
House plant.
What's Father's Day if there's not a fight?
It's not Father's Day if there's not a fight.
I found the above Mexican $100 coin near the compost heap in the back yard. I don't know where it came from, or what kind of voodoo it brings, but if my next post details my finding myself in the cross-fire of a mexican drug war then don't be surprised.


.jpg)












And don't those rascally boys look so unashamedly proud of themselves for upsetting our Martha!
ReplyDeleteHappy Father's Day to you MMMC.
Happy M-udders Day, Fiona!
Delete(That's funny. You've got to admit it. Funny.)
Fiona has cows.
I laughed. Was clever :-)
DeleteHappy Father's Day MMMC, sounds like an entertaining day. I love your pink floral getup.
ReplyDeleteYou really crack me up. Please visit Hobart one day?
X
Happy Labradoodle Day, SarahB.
DeleteWe see poodles everywhere. Isn't that the way?
I announced last night that as soon as we buy a house, a week later we'll adopt a poodle. (That will be some time from now, so don't hold-out in imminent anticipation).
Yes, I've been thinking "house plants" too. But y'know, I realized its because when I turned 40, I got A LOT of house plants as gifts. Could it be one of those "getting old" things?? Could we be redirecting our nurturing instinct on our green leafy friends now that our kids are growing up? Cufflinks rock, btw.
ReplyDeleteMooksie,
Deletehouse plants. All the cool people have them. They're ageless. I can see your timbered interior hugging some palms. Do you have palms in Latvia? Probably not.
No.... we don't usually have palms. Funny you should ask! BECAUSE last week I received a PALM from someone I met in Brazil - sent to me totally out of the blue, smuggled into Latvia in a stranger's suitcase!! It is now on my windowsill at work. I keep admiring it and wondering how long it will last. Will keep you posted :)
DeleteHappy Father's Day! Martha is so clever - it's in the genes - she is my secret grandchild (lol!)Houseplants in your neck of the woods - oo-er - wouldn't they attract creepy crawlies? I'm scared of any foliage Down Under just in case...And now zooming straight out to buy that book - after all I'm not an oldie. How dare you!Cx
ReplyDeleteI know you have a soft spot for Martha. Plants or no plants, the spiders will come. Finnish K prided herself, in the end, for staying in her bedroom with her spider friends. She accepted the inevitable. She also became sniper-like with the Mortein.
DeleteAs for the book, there's a few relationship boundaries which are stretched to a realm of discomfort.
Ziggy's been asking for that exact same Bumble Ardy! But I'm a bad father and have refused to buy it for him. I bought a house plant!! And tried decoupaging the pot. Botched it. Do you wave your arms a lot when you lawyer around the place? I bet you never lose your keys.
ReplyDeleteHappy Father's Day to you! Those naughty boys, don't they look pleased. What, you're not reading my blog anymore? The shame.
ReplyDeleteI know you're in a brown phase, but your bloggy replies are lost to me in your intense background.
ReplyDelete?Perhaps a lighter colour for the visually challenged.
I do hope you had a restful Father's Day.
I hope the new au pair comes forest-trained. Some of your indoor plants look a tad smothering.
House plants. I grew up in a house that was full of. I now only have two.
ReplyDeleteMartha thinks you're her dad and wants to play with a dog's toy. I'm confused.
Oh well, as a child I thought I was an adopted boy and that my father was a russian spy.Yes, I said adopted BOY.
Beth woke me this morning with a rousing rendition of "Happy Birthday". It's not my birthday. But it feels like it! Happy Father's Day to you from another Father. (This may not make sense. I'm tired.)
ReplyDeletethe gift that kept on giving, you got to enjoy fathers day all week long. Think of how much fun it will be when mothers day comes around :-)
ReplyDeletei'm not good at house plants, one can't just chuck a sprinkler around with gay abandon inside the house. so therefore they die from lack of water... I am however great at growing grass, even in places I don't want grass to grow. Oh well.
Bumble Ardy used to scare the crapper out of me on Sesame Street as a kid. Happy Father's Day to you too ;-)
ReplyDeleteLook at blurry Daddy and your adorable baby #3 in his rabbit print tshirt. I went to the hospital just today to see a three day old baby, who was womb movingly perfect with her thick black spikey hair. Kenny said "no". I did ask the "don't you want to...." question.
ReplyDeleteSeeing as I'm not too old, keen on reading The Red House. You know I'd be a Mexican $100 Dollar this blog ends up with a huge following. x
that was bet - despite me not being a gambler.
ReplyDelete