Tonight, after work, I did a bit of late-night-shopping.
When I was younger, my favourite thing was driving to Brisbane on a Friday afternoon to do some late-night-shopping. Exciting. Happened so rarely, but it was thrilling because, if we were late-night-shopping, it also meant we were staying at an hotel!
Pretty red belts. The MMMC blog would never have considered this sort of stuff as blog fodder.
I was in the market for some new shoes, having shredded the heel of my only work-pair on a grate in the footpath. Shredded. Beyond self respect.
There's something classic about a pair of Salvatore Ferragamoes.
My husband asked me, 'How much did you spend? $400?'
Of course I didn't spend $400! But I'm now glad to know that that's the ball park he's expecting me to spend, because next time I can get away these red shiny ones.
I'd buy these if I were defending some pharisees.
I'm also hell-bent on getting dinner organised. Like a fortnight in advance. That should help ol' HJ from Korea.
"Garlic. That's all we're having tonight. Each of you, a clove!"
Remember when I started these books? Well, I'd highly recommend you read them if you haven't already. Both very good. Both sobering.
I finished the Barnes this evening on the bus ... juggling it and some cheap patent shoes which, in retrospect, could have been a tad-more-leather mixed with a tad-more-European ...
The Barnes is the kind of book I'd like to pull-apart in a book club scenario.
If I were to choose a song to accompany this book, it'd be the one below. Only because it was the song I was listening to when I finished the book. Poignant.
You don't know this, but I like to imagine soundtracks to various things.
If I were to choose a song to accompany this book, it'd be the one below. Only because it was the song I was listening to when I finished the book. Poignant.
You don't know this, but I like to imagine soundtracks to various things.
Apologies for the video. Could do with some Solid Gold Dancers.













Red shoes. Love.
ReplyDeleteAlso we read 'A sense of an ending' for book club early this year. My choice. I thought everyone would like it. I did.
But no...many were disappointed, didn't like the main character, had little empathy for the other characters except for the ex-wife, thought the premise of the book unbelievable, thought it was more novella than novel. Yikes! I don't read as much as the others though...
xx
Brismod,
ReplyDeleteyes, maybe I'll go back for the red ones. They were on sale, now I've convinced myself. BTW, from the bus, I saw Jason walking along Adelaide St this morn.
As for the Barnes, I felt sorry for the main character. As unexceptional as he was, I felt like he was being blamed for the others' choices and behaviour. I also thought that if anyone had an axe to grind, it would have been him, as he was treated pretty poorly by all the characters in the book, and then was blamed for their mistakes and misery.
Thoughts? Reader 3? Zigsma? (Don't forget Zigsma, coffee's white, no sugar.)
Jason just asked 'Did she think I looked hot?' Insecure, isn't he? He would've been in casual clothes for casual Friday...
DeleteI agree with you about the main character. I had a lot of empathy for him, despite his flaws. And it is one of the few books which have remained with me, in terms of being memorable. It is well written too.
xx
I'll have to read that book and join in. I think you need those pharisee shoes. Not. Could the solid golds dance in them???
ReplyDeletexo
BTW that Jamie Oliver cookbook stresses me out to no end. You try and do one of those meals in 30 minutes, I dare you.
ReplyDeleteDang! now I'll have to read the Barnes although it sounds a bit depressing. Red shoes are always a must have and I am sure I have seen pharisees outside Hungry Jacks in the city. Get the sandals just in case you have to defend them after a Friday night melee.
ReplyDeleteHow grown up! Late night shopping and a pay cheque to do it with no less! Go back for the red ones, stat!
P.S. Did you buy Dapper Dan a bow tie?
ReplyDeleteFriday night shopping? I'd like that. I also like the red shoes with heels. The music is good too. My coffee is gone. Time to hit the road. Hungry people are waiting for their breakfast. See you next time.
ReplyDeleteMy vote always goes to buying the shoes...no matter which shoes. I'm a firm believer that a woman can never have too many. I feel the same way about good handbags. To be honest, shoes and handbags provided a me very strong motivation for having my own paycheck for over 30 years, as I made it clear to the men in my life that they didn't supervise my earning the money, so they didn't get to supervise my spending it. They quickly learned not to get between me and anything made of quality leather. :)
ReplyDeleteI haven't read the Barnes book, but it is next on my list. When I'm done, I'll chime in. I do know that the New York Times agrees with you, Brismod, and not the other members of your book club. They thought it was brilliant.
Go get the red shoes!!!! You must, ok :)
ReplyDeleteWhat's not to love about the focus of this blog ... shoes and books, two of my favourite things. I'm fighting my way through Patrick White at the moment. I think I'd take Margaret Fulton over Jamie Oliver ... I struggle to take that accent seriously.
ReplyDeleteRed shiney leather all the way.
ReplyDeleteWith sandals for walking to and from the bus?
HoHo.
Good luck with the Slow Cooker book.
ReplyDeleteLoving the red shoes. Would like a pair but think heels would be shredded on gravel driveway. Damn gravel driveway. Ballet flats for me.
OK...finished the Barnes book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I found the narrator a very sympathetic character and his examination of memory and perception as it molds and manipulates "fact" to make every aspect of the plot subject to multiple interpretations. I'd love to pull it apart with you.
ReplyDeleteMaybe we a book club is in order - it was interesting to read Anita's book club synopsis.
ReplyDelete'After the Storm' speaks to me. I love that you remember Solid Gold!
In my opinion, Tony Webster was unexceptional, but highly observant. Clever. Self-deprecating, and un-assuming. The book was short enough that it lef alot of questions about a few of the characters, and possibly therein lies the intrigue.
ReplyDeleteI won Trivial Pursuit last Christmas by knowing the name of The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. Impressed the inlaws no end. I'm just saying. (I had actually read it, of course, which is equally impressive considering the quality of most of my reading material.)
ReplyDelete