After a week of public transport, I've noticed that a significant proportion of travellers read on the bus. So I bought this book, so I can be one-of-the-crowd. I really only bought it because the blurb at the bookshop says it's about a man who contacts his estranged sister after their mother's death ... but everything implodes.
I finished this book recently. My mother gave it to me. I have some time for Andy Warhol. If anyone had chutzpah, it was Andy. I never realised he was shot by one of his warehouse devotees. Though you probably knew he was. This book lists the areas of New York which were Warhol haunts. If I went back to NY, I'd check out a few of the sites. I would.
Are there things you just have to own? Well, I just had to hand over $39.00 for this pottery Afghan. I know no Afghans. I have no leaning towards them as a breed other than their loftiness reminds me of poodles, but I had to have this floppy-eared creature.
He's heavy and tactile. I think we'll be good friends.
PS I'm liking this new blog.




I love that cracked plate cover - gorgeous. I've read 'The Curious Incident...' but wasn't aware of this latest. I want to be one-of-the-crowd too! That Afghan is cute - he looks playful. And not as large as a real Afghan.
ReplyDeletePS - I'm liking this new blog also.
Your pottery Afghan gets a tick from me too, although I don't really like them in real life.
ReplyDeleteI personally know some Afghans. Yours is exquisite. Thanks for the book list too. I'm always on the hunt.
ReplyDeleteI just read a positive review of The Red House in the Sunday papers (on-line) and have marked it as one to look out for in my local charity shops. There are a lot of avid readers with more money than me in this neck of the woods so I'm expecting to see a bargain copy appear on those bookshelves very soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks for popping over to peek at my latest choices. With our sudden cold snap in the middle of Spring, it's very much the weather for curling up with a good book here in the UK. Cx
Your Afghan is remarkably "alive" for one so obviously ceramic. If you know what I mean. I take it you do, seeing as you bought the piece :) And as for Andy - do you know the album "Songs for Drella" by John Cale and Lou Reed? A concept album all about their relationship with Warhol. The album contains some great quotes and ideas from the man, including what his mother always used to say to him: "The way to make friends, Andy, is to invite them up for tea". SO nice to be invited to NOT follow your anti-blog...
ReplyDeleteMook, it's all in the double negatives!
DeleteAnd Andy's mother was the making of Andy, I feel.
I loved how he stalked the people he admired and they ended up being drawn to him. So intriguing.
PS This blog's gone all arty and sophisticated.
Ha! Stalking works a treat!!
DeleteYour Afghan looks as though he came out of an El Greco workshop.
ReplyDeleteSnazzy.
That Red House book stirs the coals.
I like this blog as well.
Love arty (knew him well :)) and sophisticated, which is this blog! I lived in Manhattan for 8 years. My step-father used to say (he was born in Brooklyn), after living in NY, every where else is just camping out. But...every city has its beauty and its tales. I would love to visit Brisbane and Melbourne and Sydney, now that would be an adventure!
ReplyDeleteI adore The Afghan - he is a sight hound like my Whippet and they are the gentlest creatures in the world. I'm also loving your sophisticated Blog :-)
ReplyDeleteIt seems as de rigeur to read this sophisticated blog as it once was to live in lofts in New York having complex relationships with other artists and singers and your mother. I didn't realise the "Curious Incident..." author had written another book. Luckily I do/don't subscribe to this arty blog. It's all so very secret society. Shh!
ReplyDeletehere I am. The new blog. I like it too! And I like the dog. I knew a couple of Afghan, they're classy but super playful.
ReplyDeleteOh Andy. Andy. Andy.
I finally made it. Puffing and panting, but here.
ReplyDeleteDoes the afghan fetch? And why do you still have word verification on an invitation only private blog? So many questions...
ReplyDeleteThanks Brismod, my comment setting was all askew. I didn't even know. That's why I invited you. You're not afraid to question the status quo. That shows chutzpah.
DeleteSuch a pleasure to comment on your blog now. I fail at word verification and would make the worst spammer if I ever took that up as a profession. xx
DeleteI've read Mark Haddon's The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time, about a little boy with aspberger's, who determines if he's going to have a good day or night by the colour of the cars he passes on the way to school.
ReplyDeleteI can understand the afghan. I'd love an afghan, but I'm flat out shampooing my own hair.
I have a small dodgy pottery bowl (I created around age 6) that is the EXACT colour match for your hound.
ReplyDelete