Saturday, May 19, 2012

Sunday


I took the Solid Gold Dancers to the Bardon kindy fete today.


What a professional and fun affair that was. 


We came home with lucky-dip bags and succulents and lollies and home-made brownies and balloons and old toys.


This kind-of vintage Fisher Price helicopter was only $2.


And this Italian peg game, which has probably been played with by generations of Kindergarteners, was also $2. Just warms the cockles of my ever-beating heart.


As for the Paddington Antique Centre, well as far as Australiana kitcsh goes, there really wasn't any. I did admire these Swedish Mid-Century cats. 

This was the second weekend I've taken the Solid Gold Dancers to the PAC, and I'm surprised at the looks we get from people.

I'm not sure why ... I think it's because it's risky taking four solid gold dancers there, what with all the breakables and what-not. And I always tell my four to 'walk in single file and put your hands on your heads'. You do what you have to do.



Here are my next reads. No-brainers really, thanks to your suggestions and good reviews. Which to start first?


I'm still loving the small blog. It's like having coffee with good friends. You don't have to say anything. I'm just glad you're here. See you next week.

24 comments:

  1. Ha! I love your Solid Gold dancers!
    They wouldn't break anything, would they?
    We are going to see Flight of the Conchords when they're in Perth - can't wait.
    I'm really glad you liked your little parcel of Australiana Carmel - the tablecloth is for you btw, not the au pair. K.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie,

      the Solid Gold Dancers haven't broken anything yet. They're pretty good, but one crazy dance move and down comes a display cabinet!

      I've purloined the table cloth. Thank you.

      Delete
  2. Loving the little coloured peg game. Soooo many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like such a fun outing for you and the kids! I'm so impressed with how well they behave.

    I love the Flight of the Conchords poster. I'm missing Bret and Jermaine since the series got cancelled on HBO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dana,
      the series is so funny. The poster is cool.

      I also like 'Modern Family' and 'Arrested Development'. Also funny, but more polished.

      Delete
  4. I need in-depths reviews of the reads ... am in desperate need of some reading matter at the moment.
    And hey, I remember Solid Gold.
    Though admittedly, the memory was stashed in a distant corner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to revive repressed memories.

      You should borrow those books from one of the cows, who I'm sure have read them, because your cows are so beautiful and intelligent-looking.

      Delete
  5. The Solid Gold Dancers are winners in my book.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely Sunday with the SGD's. That heli is way cool. I like the mcm cats too.

    I'm spray painting some chairs today for the trailer redo. Turquoise!

    Nice having coffee with you my friend. See you next time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always like hanging out in your trailer. Turquoise!

      Delete
  7. Busy happy weekend by the look of it.
    I loved fetes when I was small. I'd get all sticky from the toffee apples.
    It seems as though your woking week is cheering you enough to get on closer interaction with the golden ones. (I have no idea what you're talking about with Golden dancers. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid Gold Dancers. Television. Late 70s, early 80s. I was never that impressed with their moves or musical line-up.

      Delete
  8. There's Horsey!! We have that same (kinda) vintage plane! When will you find the time to sew some proper Solid Gold costumes?!

    Both books are excellent!

    Sugar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sugar with my tea. Coffee white thanks Zigsma. I like Sassy-K's presents btw.

      Delete
  9. Read the Julian Barnes one first. It is a quick read but you may find you want to read it again. Straight away. An emotional suspense novel about memory and regrets and getting old and relationships and denial. It is a little sad but thought provoking. I thought very beautifully written. There is not a wasted word in the book.

    The Curious Incident is depressing. I don't know if it is meant to be. I read it a long time ago but my memory is of a very heavy feeling for everyone concerned in the incident. I recall some people finding it funny and uplifting. I don't know how.
    I guess like Mr Bean - I feel like crying when I see him but other people seem to laugh.

    Both are worth the time investment - but you look like you are having too much fun being part of that local community to read.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reader 3,
    I just finished 'The Curious Incident' last night and started Julian Barnes on this bus this morning. I have to say I really liked 'The Curious Incident' but also found it sad. Definitely not uplifting. I also felt very sad for everyone in the book because they were all so resigned to not having happy lives and resigned to be flawed in how they dealt with their circumstances. It did make me look at people differently today, though. Not jumping to conclusions based on how people look, but realising that people have such complicated lives and they have to get-on with things regardless.

    As for J Barnes, I do love his writing, and you're right there's not a word wasted, and he combines his words so cleverly and beautifully. I'm waiting for the climax! I can sense something shocking! The End.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that italian peg game!! I used to have thousands of that. Spent hours playing with all those colors. Sometimes I tried to convinced my friends that those little colored things were good to swallow, like candies. And they believed me. My ability to sell whatever I have in my hands began there, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Bardon kindy fete because it is a 'fete' not a ridiklus moister extravaganza that costs more than the Ekka to attend. Why have fetes gone so badass big? Just quietly, I may have been a member of the Solid Gold dancers in my own mind with my sisters. Some can still pull out the moves at a family wedding. Nothing weird about those kids. I used to make mine walk conga style chanting, "Put your hands on the shoulders of the person in the front." Even in the Country Rd homewares, nary a broken item. Deb? Are you reading this?

    ReplyDelete
  13. This blog feels like the AGM that we never got around to with your mu mu. The Incident made me sad too but i can't remember the story at all. Let us know how the next one makes you feel. I need jolly reads. Wodehouse perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON'T read the Barnes then. I started to cry on the bus at the end.

      Wodehouse, maybe. If your mind's a bit groggy, then I wouldn't recommend Wodehouse, sometimes his character relationships can be a bit confusing. You know who's funny, James Thurber. I'd read him.

      Rumpole's always good simple reading. And he wears a wig.

      Or maybe you need picture books like great hard-cover tomes of Frank Lloyd Wright Architecture.

      Delete
  14. Was it Wodehouse who had the slow driving funny character? I'm sure I read this in a blog post long ago.
    Well. I for one, and thanks to you, must say I loved The Sense of an Ending. Each and every paragraph a juicy verbose morsel to be enjoyed. In fact sometimes I'd read a sentece or paragraph twice for that reason. Once you got into the rhythm of J. Barnes style, it was an easy read. I loved the character of Adrian. Almost wished I had learnt more about him, and perhaps that was part of his intrigue. It definietly in my opinion, was a speedy read to the end, with intrigue and a surprise element thrown in I'd not imagined. I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maybe I'll have Solid Gold as my 40th party theme.

    ReplyDelete