Sunday, April 3, 2011

Curbside rubbish

It's 'curbside rubbish' collection in our suburb, and there are scavengers in utes and vans and Honda Odysseys driving slowly in every street, scouring for finds.

I was moaning at the Sewing Square (which met today after a long hiatus) how people only put out rubbish, now-a-days. Whereas once-upon-a-time, one could generally find something of interest on the footpath.

So, imagine my unparallelled giddiness on returning home from the Sewing Square to see what the neighbours had discarded.


It was a (small child with a dust brush and a) mildewy old dolls house.

Of course, I asked our neighbour if we could take them, and he agreed, telling me he made the house himself.



It needed a good clean, but now I see another project on-which to embark for-which I really have no time.



 I have plans to paint it ...



 And vintage wallpaper it and carpet it ...


And make soft furnishings for all of its four floors.


 I think it does deserve at least one Vitra miniature chair.

Or an Eames elephant.


Any suggestions? 
Should I paint its roof red and exterior walls white, or does it lend itself to Mid-Century greys and greens?

37 comments:

  1. Oh that is an excellent score - and you didn't even have to drive around to find it which is a bonus.

    I'm not sure what I'd do on the outside but I like the idea of the vintage wallpaper and approve of the miniature egg chair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That dollhouse is so grouse!! How lucky were you to get it?! Fantastic find. There's nothing better than homemade dollhouses if you ask me. Check out the one my husband and I made if you like: http://megandmums.blogspot.com/2010/10/my-daughters-dollhouse.html
    You're gonna have lots of fun decorating I bet!
    Megs x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my lordy Carmel!! You and Martha have hit the curbside collection JACKPOT!! That's a keeper for the grandkids. Horsey 1 and Horsey 2 look like they are so at home. I think you have to go with the midcentury theme definately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a brilliant find, but you may as well acknowledge right away that this will be the end of your life as you know it. My mother took this turning when I was little, I know allllll about it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh it is delightful! I see a traditional exterior but then BAM you open the doors to see it full of mid century delights. It is very grand with its 3 stories. Can't wait to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so jealous and I want the elephant

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, how I wish I could find a small child with a dust brush.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best find I've seen in a long time, and that it was homemade, and on your doorstep even better! I love the idea of a red roof. Definitely needs a bit of wallpaper. Maybe a few paintings. It's a lovely big house. What a fun project!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brismod,
    if you had daughters, I think you'd be clicking your heels. The egg chair is a bit costly.

    Megs,
    love your house. I'll definitely try and source some of the wooden floor contact! Thank you.

    Megan,
    It is a lucky find. The chipboard base is a little swollen, but I think we can live with that. It may be big enough for a Blythe!

    Oh Jane, do you think this could lead to an obsession at the cost of mothering? Surely not!

    Katherine,
    good suggestion. I like keeping people on their toes ... possibly some fake grass and plastic flowers.

    Kotaatok,
    it is cute. The kids love it. I think I owe the neighbour some plonk, and his teenage daughter, whose doll house it was, something less alcoholic.

    Fiona,
    small children with dust brushes are all over the place around here. I should get her to clean the walls!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh LORDY!! That is an excellent score. I can't wait to see what you do with it. I may just have something you could use. I love your folksy furniture - in the dolls house, that is.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooh how exciting! Love that cute wooden furniture you have too! One happy little girl, I'm guessing..

    ReplyDelete
  12. Zigsma,
    German folksy furniture was mine when I was younger. It's quite brittle now. I did think of you for some reason when I saw it on the street. I got the 'Zigsma rush of blood' at a good find.

    Stella,
    I think you need to do a post on your doll house re-vamp to inspire! I might go back and look at your painting posts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have hit the gold of curbside with that one. Totally outdoes the yellow plastic pig with lid for hiding little sisters in that was our last find. I have been looking for a dolls house exactly like this on ebay but they barely come up there either. Can't wait to see how the mansiona goes after a midcentury makeover. Does seem like the kind of renovation that shouldn't cost you either your marriage or blow the budget so enjoy every minute.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! Love the furniture too. I got one a few weeks ago, which i posted about on my blog too. Can't wait to see what you do. I'm thinking of feature walls in mine and have spied really cute scrapbooking paper. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh make it MC inside and out! please. I can't wait to follow your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah the horses have it made... a home for life... life for a home etc...

    ReplyDelete
  17. By the way, I put my child (and dust brush) out too and no one took him...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great find. I love a blank campus. I'm fond of red so I'd head that way. Not so fussed on the heritage green/yellowy combo. Speaking of which, all the mid-century timber houses up north are painted white and blue.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That is such a great find, i just wonder is it for Martha or for you?! you will have so much fun cant wait to see what you do with it. x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, go the vintage wall paper inside, out & on the roof, totally mix it up, or can you just tell i try to patchwork everything?? Total score on the kerbsidefind, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Pennies from heaven for you. Could you have dreamt up a better curbside gift?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Imagine the tall tales Horsey will be able to tell from his new abode!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ooh, exciting! You'll be hooked now, that's for sure.
    I didn't know people put Childs out for garbage pickup over there. How convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How brilliant is that? Gee you are going to have fun in your spare time??!!

    Can't wait to see how you decorate it.Pam x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Go with grey and greens. And TWO Vitra chairs. I am so going to buy a billy shelf and turn it into my own miniature dream home.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That is one fab doll house I love the furniture and that new chair is over the top!!!
    Hey the man who might buy the lodge is a big time lawyer from the south....I love how when he left he shoved cookies in his pocket...we laughed he can have them in a plastic baggy if he'll buy the place.
    I did the psych test with my Mom and dad then I had my friends my one friend said it wrecked her entire day.....she said now she knows why she's still single....poor baby!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ooh, I'm jealous! Great house and the worst part (the assembly) is already done. Maybe you can find some of these to make your soft furnishings: http://www.craftypod.com/2011/03/31/enough-vintage-crochet-awesomeness-to-sear-your-eyeballs/

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful find - and how delighted is that dear little child with brush in hand! However I think you should consider the external decoration first. A nice set of windows and a smart front door would be a great improvement. A stern word with your neighbour about the unfinished architecture might be in order. Though I bet you could make a creative paint or decoupage trompe l'oeil effect with a little help from the home team!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hold ordering further chairs.
    I do have a few for you here.
    I suggest a different period each floor.
    Horsey 1& 2 seem to have taken over the top floor.
    I still like red roofs.
    Tell Martha to stop growing for a while until I catch up with her toddler style before it passes.

    ReplyDelete
  30. PS.
    How about an orange roof and lime green exterior in gloss paint of course?
    And purple wall somewhere inside - possibly top floor?
    I know RMT could replace woodchip with wood off-cuts from floor at the mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  31. what a great find! i'm sure you will find time to mod it up:)

    ReplyDelete
  32. We "found" one at our local market for $2...very similar to yours but painted yellow and purple. Slightly swollen chipboard base at the edge too...I soon realised why it wasn't taken, with 2 car seats and no car boot (we had the pram!) it barely fitted in our car and sat in the front seat while I squished between the girls car seats in the back...Goodness, I could barely get out when we got home, but I am very glad of it.

    The girls (4yrs and 2.5yrs) play with it daily. Last week I even set it up so all of our farm animals were living in the house, laying in beds and sitting in high chairs...lots of fun. I've been meaning to do something with it too, so am now inspired to paint it...enjoy, it's heaps of fun.

    Also, not mid century, but keep an eye out online, my sister bought boxes of wooden dolls furniture for the girls, you can buy them in room sets, so bathroom, bedroom, kitchen etc...LOTS of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  33. ooh! how exciting! nothing beats finding something fabulous on the side of the road. when i was in university there was always something good to find because of the high student population...which is also the 'too lazy and cheap to move everything' population!
    Can't wait to see all the renovations!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous find. I love the retractable roof. I see a bright lacquered red top hiding a rooftop garden ... The best bit will be you can close those doors when it all gets a bit messy inside.

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOVELY find - wish I had found it - can't wait to see the end result - whatever you choose it will no doubt look great
    A xx

    ReplyDelete
  36. Greys and greens, indeed. Just stunning, dear. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ohh lucky you!!! Youre right that it's harder to find good things these days.

    ReplyDelete