When no one's here during the school week, and all's quiet, I've discovered a few creatures about the back yard.
I spied another Blue Tongue lizard. I think, Posie suggested I feed them banana. So I did. I ran inside and chopped banana and ran back outside again and scattered banana about.
The two Blue Tongue lizards I've seen in the last week are quite amusing because they freeze and pretend they're dead, and the moment you turn your back, they move ever-so-slightly, so as to watch your movements.
Yes, I should be doing an assignment.
And we've a youngish kookaburra who has started to visit. It's quite audacious and flies right onto the covered deck and scares me into thinking it's going to peck out my eyes.
So I let the youngest child approach it.
I think there's some argy-bargy going on between the kookaburra and the butcher birds.
Here it is again today. It's very cute and it looks as if its mother has crimped its feathers with a crimping iron.
It spied a tiny worm and swooped on it before I could say 'carnivore', and it killed the bacon I gave it by whacking the rind against a pole.
You're like David Attenborough while the kids are at school. Stop communing with nature and get back to work, MMMC!
ReplyDeletep.s love your figgjo teapot. The tea from it must taste extra good. xx
I absolutely love kookaburras.
ReplyDeleteOh, and caramel slice.
Is your caramel slice sitting upon some boleslawiec??
ReplyDelete(looking good Heston!)
Lots of wildlife in your neck of the woods! Did the lizards eat the banana? I have never tried feeding lizards because that would involve getting close to them. Which is just not going to happen. And how exciting having a kookaburra in your yard! I don't know how common they are over there but over here we don't often see them (or hear them). I reckon I have maybe seen around 10 in my lifetime. I hope he doesn't wake you up with his laughing!
ReplyDeleteBrismod,
ReplyDeleteit's all happening in the backyard. Tell Mr Brismod that I have to analyse a 'Statement of Claim' and he'll tell you why I'm so unenthusiastic about doing it.
Fiona,
Kookaburras are endearing aren't they? This one is quite tame ... possibly a baby.
Jennie,
I know the plate is Polish. I just looked at the stamp and it is boleslawiec. How observant of you! You must know the region? My mother buys them and gives them to me. I really love them. I only have small plates though.
I got cranky at my children for vandalising (vandalism leads to car-jacking etc) the tv guide and then I realised what a good job they did on Heston.
I've just read the travel magazine which came together with today's newspaper and I have a strong feeling of me being in need of travelling. Then I see all these exotic animals and my whole body starts to scream: I must leave this country (which still has spots covered with snow) and experience the world! I want to feed weird creatures with bananas! I want to see lego-boxes covered with used bananas from birds I've only seen in pictures. I want to go to Australia-Africa-America-you-name-it!
ReplyDeleteAnd I was thrilled to see your doll's house. I'm so happy for you. This is my favourite kind of play!
Silverthreads,
ReplyDeletehe wolfed it down! I brought more out for him, but by them he'd scooted away. I generally don't like reptiles either, but when Posie said they like bananas, I thought I should give him some. He was very still while I placed it on front of him. I don't think I could pick one up without wetting my pants, though.
There seems to be a lot of kookaburras about at the moment. I hear them laughing everyday recently.
Elisabeth,
I think Australia is a wonderful country to visit. It isn't steeped in the history that Europe is, but it's very young, vibrant and carefree, I think.
A lot of the wildlife in Australia scares people off - there are crocodiles and sharks and spiders and poisonous snakes - but not in my backyard! Only friendly birds and docile lizards and annoying turkeys. Oh, and children.
Oh poor Heston!! Critics everywhere indeedy.
ReplyDeleteOh i wish it was my good suggestion to offer banana to the Blue Tongue lizard, sadly no, but thanks for thinking it was me, friend to nature & all. But bananas, for wildlife, have you secretly won the lottery & can afford bananas?? My husband went to pay for 6 bananas the other day, $24, he declined & the sales assistant added them to the pile of bananas other people had second thoughts about at the cash register. My children would throw themselves in front of the lizard for a banana right now. Love Posie
No, it wasn't you Posie at all re bananas. It was Little Miss AirGap who suggested them. She's the real zoo keeper.
ReplyDeleteI have no idea what they cost ... have I just given that lizard the equivalent of Wagyu beef? I was chopping it up and throwing it about the place with gay abandon.
Ooh, I love your wildlife posts and it was tremendously funny too. I love your droll sense of humour.
ReplyDeleteI'm with Posie on the bananas. That is one lucky lizard.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe I have told the big kids that they're "only for the babies"!
Lovely kookaburra tho!
Given the price of bananas you are super generous. We have 3 blue tongues in our yard too. They freak me out a bit and I have heard they give a nasty bite because they have disgusting teeth and the wound gets infected etc. So I am a bit paranoid about the dog getting bitten. Anyway that slice looks so yum! I love kookaburras we used to have one that visited and I used to give him uncooked mince...he loved it, cheese Katherine
ReplyDeleteDo you live in the suburbs or the Jungle??? I'd love to see the huge birdies but the reptiles, I don't think so.
ReplyDeleteChilds' artwork is grand.
lovely wildlife to have around! Bananas were $15.99 / kg here this week. so, no bananas for our wildlife, just slices of pear for the blackbird and the magpie!
ReplyDeleteWe used to feed the kookaburras by hand when we were kids living in an old house in the country in Albany WA I would love to be somewhere to enjoy all th ewild life suburbia is not as much fun
ReplyDeleteOh I love lizards! Good for you for squaring up the the courage to approach them. I want to come visit and play with all your wildlife. Your birds probably would peck my eyes out because I'd be out there trying to pet them.
ReplyDeleteI have a Polish Pitcher to match your Polish Plate. Alas, no carmel slice.
ReplyDeleteDid i tell you that Kookaburras are my FAVORITE? you are so LUCKY! they are like flying dingoes, super smart , unlike any other animal, totally Australian wise little buggers who like to heckle settlers.
ReplyDeletemy kids ask me to do my Kookaburra imitation at least once a day.
we have something called a kingfisher, related but not nearly as cool.
whats his name?
i expect to see him flying by in a sporty liberty waistcoat soon. That is the assignment ,right?!
blue tongue lizards...not so fond.
what's a kookaburras? what's a blue tongue lizard ? who is heston?
ReplyDelete...i feel like the kid who didn't know to play the game. The outcast.
p.s.
the kookasomething is impossibly cute. that heston guy, not so much, despite your kids good job.
p.p.s.
ReplyDeleteI think this computer just made a mess of what i wrote. If it is so, feel free to play teacher and correct it or put it in the bin. There is nothing I hate more than an old and misbehaving laptop. (the good one is at the shop!)
Bananas are luxury items down this way. Kookaburra cackling would make for a delightful soundtrack. We had a couple living here a few months ago and I used to pretend I was a famous reclusive writer living in the boosh.
ReplyDeleteOh, man. Planning a camp-out in your back yard, MMM-C. Nothing but mud in mine, apparently.
ReplyDeleteyou are a zoo keeper indeed, love the cake. I might eat the whole cake though I'm so frustrated with computers!
ReplyDeleteI'd encourage that enchanting baby kookaburra.
ReplyDeleteThey are my favourite bird as well.
But, there is an angst with butcher birds as they compete for the same tucker in the yard.
Kookaburras do eat lizards as well, so it may not be just your natural charm that attracts kookie baby.
I think wagya beef would be a cheaper option for the wild life right now.
Kookaburras don't go for eyes. Magpies do that. I don't like magpies or crows. They are too smart and make me feel cerebrally challenged.
My grandad was from Poland (we met him over there once, him coming from NZ and us from UK).
ReplyDeleteI used get be able to get them real cheap on ebay UK. But they are sooo expensive here! I really want a set of odd dinner plates. They are coming out with new designs gradually - might be worth another trip over there!
man, and i thought i lived a wild life with wild boars in the bushes and mice (rats?) in the walls. kookaburra just sounds way more appealing some how.
ReplyDeleteand that piece of cake looks yummy...
Oh Harry Butler you are! I do like your Australian zoo. You'll be able to charge people to visit.
ReplyDeleteThe perfect caramel slice can be so elusive.
Hope you've finished the assignment.
Kookaburras are my favourite Australian bird! so cute. I love the lizard too. I've never seen one up close and personal.
ReplyDeleteThat last images does look a little like Cindy Brady, i agree. ;)
Ha ha!
ReplyDeleteAnd look at that super cute kooka :)
Funny as usual Carmel. I had to chuckle at some of your comments and yes, it seems you have been feeding the blue tongue the equivalent of truffles, what with bananas being such crazy prices.
ReplyDeleteI have been so slack and haven't replied to your email about Pinterest. No, I am still trying to work out what it is and what I should be doing with it. Am I just thick??
Yes, it was me who's into Ikea frames, though would you believe they didn't have the ones I wanted!!!!!??? Totally frustrating, so I bought some glass vases instead ('cos I don't have enough vases in my house - NOT!).
x
Lucky you! We've only seen those in the zoo :) XoL
ReplyDelete