I just asked my husband, where is the Woody Allen paper doll that I bought you for Christmas a couple of years ago?
He said to me, You never bought me a Woody Allen paper doll.
And I said to him, I did and I've just gone through all your drawers and I can't find it.
And he said, You never gave me a Woody Allen paper doll, and then he turned his head and went on watching television. As if I wasn't even there!
And I said, Don't get all Blue Jasmine on me and make me out like the crazy one.
Sure enough, I just searched my lengthy etsy-purchases-list and I can confirm I bought him a Woody Allen paper doll on 23 November 2010.
Read this? Seen the movie? Petrified you'll end-up on a park bench muttering to yourself? It's worrying.

We have those types of conversations regularly :-). I'm seeing the movie in an hour...will report back. I've just had a quick read at that article though, I'm already worried :-) Mel x
ReplyDeleteIt's a really good movie. Woody nailed it. Cate was fabulous. Alec Baldwin was a piece of work. Would love a debrief.
DeleteLoved it loved it loved! Cate was phenomenal! Too good really because if I ran into her in the street I would feel like asking if she was OK. If I start heading down that track I'm hoping one of the offspring will come to my rescue :-)
DeleteI emailed you. I really think it's for a specific audience, don't you? I think I would grab Cate's arm in a supportive-type-of-gesture too. It did make me think about the need of supportive girl friends who'll always stick by you. I did get a bit cranky at the son for blaming her.
DeleteI'm itching to read Street Car Named Desire again.
I didn't want to go. Thought it might be a bit harrowing but I loved it. My girlfriend who is in a bit of a domestic crisis couldn't wait to run from the building. Kate was marvellous but I just love the little twist that she had undone her whole life with one call. Delicious movie making!
DeleteI always have a good natter to myself - I'm my own best listener.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen the new Woody flick yet - going with Anth (under duress - he's not a fan -hope he doesn't spoil it for me!)
This reminds me to get to the post office to send your parcel.
Is Anth not a fan of movies or not a fan of Woody? If Woody, this isn't your usual Woody Allen movie, I'd suggest. I'm not a fan of sitting in a dark room for two hours, but I managed it. I think you'll like it. Tell me what you think.
DeleteMy fear is becoming an old lady with pigeons feeding off me! A tad "Mary Poppins" gone crazyish.
ReplyDeleteHmmm, maybe you should see Blue Jasmine ... it's a bit 'there for the grace of God go I'. Could happen to any of us.
DeleteThat should be 'there, but for the Grace of God, go I' ... otherwise, there go I, which defeats the purpose of the saying.
DeleteMy other arf doesn't understand anything I say at all lately. He has a very woolly wife filter which needs to be checked- 1...2...1...2....for acknowledgement before relaying important information to him. So where is the Woody Allen doll? Could this be a new version of Where is the Green Sheep??
ReplyDeleteI don't know where the Woody Allen doll is! It's concerning me! Oh well, I'll just have to buy another one ... Maybe a Husband Intervention is required. So many husbands, so many messages ignored or forgotten ...
DeleteI think one of the strangest things about getting old is that you become invisible to most people. Your hair gets gray, your skin and eyes aren't as bright, your body gets thicker, and people simply don't notice you like they did when you were 30, thin, tan and beautiful. You become fairly nondescript, and people tend to look right past you. This is pretty much a fact of life, even if you don't get dotty.
ReplyDeleteInvisible people are actually superheroes. I like the 'grumpy' factor that ageing allows.
DeleteIn all your majestic, Mid-Century Glory, you're not invisible to us, Lady Dana.
Somehow, the dialogue with your other half about the Woody Allen doll struck me as very Woody Allen (you are not invisible, the doll is). Yes, it is a very real fear for many that they will end up homeless, perhaps more so in the US where the safety net is vanishing (our government is even closed!). Children shouldn't have to worry about such things, but many do as they realize their family may be one paycheck away from living in their car. I loved the tv show "Golden Girls." Perhaps that's the safety net for the women out there who lose their homes and husbands- relying on the kindness of friends?
ReplyDelete