Some of you have asked me how the new au pair is going and, to be honest, she's going great. Thank Mozart.
She's Austrian but has come to Australia on her Japanese passport, and tells me we're lucky to have her given Austrians can't get working-holiday visas in Australia. So I think she must be the only Austrian au pair in a sea of German au pairs in Brisbane.
We are lucky to have her. She's polite, helpful, grateful. She's Polite.
And she promised to come to Aldi with us to show us the pick of German/Austria sweets in the lead-up to Christmas.
Simple things readers. Simple. I'm not fussy. I'm not hoity-toity.
She said Aldi in Ashgrove could be Aldi in Vienna! The lay-out. The merchandise.
And the pick of Christmas treats? These ones ...
LEEBKOOKEN ... almost broke down in tears when she saw them.
My pick?
These ones ... divine. They were dinner.





Whaat!!!!!!!!!!! You must email me. You promised, Missus. Those last one, are they chocolates???
ReplyDeletexo
They're Belgian chocolate wafers with little bits of biscuit. Seriously, we had them for dinner. I can't work out why Aldi is so cheap despite being filled with mostly imported goods, and Australian supermarkets are comparatively more expensive.
DeleteNice tip MMMC. Aldi is a cracker. I'm off to stand in line for the Leebkooken because I would like to use that word repeatedly after a few family champagnes. "Another Kookleeben, Lookkeeper, schneep kookie....
ReplyDeleteWe do not have Aldi here in the West. No Leebkooken of Choceur for me :(
ReplyDeleteIs Miss Austria new? Did Miss Germany renounce her crown early? My niece seems to be doing ok with her own Miss Germany, so far. Schluss.
ReplyDeleteThere's an Aldi near me...right here in Texas...but I've never been inside. I must remedy that tomorrow.
ReplyDeleteI like it when you post about chocolate, so good! The pick awards go to Miss Austriaviajapan xx
ReplyDeleteSo glad the new Au Pair is working out. She has a really nice, happy look about her. A friendly face. : ) I bloody love those Milk Chooclate Lebkuchen things too. Discovered them last Christmas at Aldi. They're a winner.
ReplyDeleteI'm loving Aldi too, it's annoying I cant get everything there though, and I'll always choose Costco over it for a 'fun' shop, but they have some gems. My fave are the Pfuffernusse (or gingerbready things if you have no idea what I mean)
ReplyDelete