I've gotten used to watching the lawnmower men across the road. I'd sit on our front verandah and watch them.
They take their job very seriously.
This is one of them.
He uses a metal circular blade to clip his edges so, if I'm lucky, I'll literally see sparks.
And this is the other lawnmower man.
He uses planks of wood to get his horizontal edges. Just. Right.
I was watching them today. For hours. Seriously.
And then I got a call from the woman who interviewed me last week.
Seems like the other man didn't get the job. Seems like I DID!
I agreed to start Monday. The day Martha starts at daycare. But Martha's at day care just for Monday, so after that we throw CAUTION TO THE WIND. I've gotten to the point where I believe everything will work itself out, and she's fairly autonomous.
I'm feeling very lucky, and grateful, because the word-on-the-street is that all Government jobs had been frozen due to the recent election.
How're these rooms?
They take their job very seriously.
This is one of them.
He uses a metal circular blade to clip his edges so, if I'm lucky, I'll literally see sparks.
And this is the other lawnmower man.
He uses planks of wood to get his horizontal edges. Just. Right.
I was watching them today. For hours. Seriously.
And then I got a call from the woman who interviewed me last week.
Seems like the other man didn't get the job. Seems like I DID!
I agreed to start Monday. The day Martha starts at daycare. But Martha's at day care just for Monday, so after that we throw CAUTION TO THE WIND. I've gotten to the point where I believe everything will work itself out, and she's fairly autonomous.
I'm feeling very lucky, and grateful, because the word-on-the-street is that all Government jobs had been frozen due to the recent election.
How're these rooms?
I may have to ramp-up the indoor plants, I think.
And now I have to ramp-up the au pair search. I'm looking at you - Germany.
Or you, New Brunswick, Canada.
And now I have to ramp-up the au pair search. I'm looking at you - Germany.
Or you, New Brunswick, Canada.
Do you get bored with my etsy favourites? I don't.
here
here
here
here
here
here
here
here
Forget etsy. This stool is mine.
I just got it repaired by this fellow. He's great.
here
here
here
here
here
here
here
here
Forget etsy. This stool is mine.
I just got it repaired by this fellow. He's great.
Fin. I have a date with some cufflinks.

















Big congrats on the job. Exciting!!
ReplyDeleteSo very happy for you. Well done.
ReplyDeleteLove those Christian Dior specs.
I can see those glasses on newly weaned cattle.
DeleteHugest congrats to you!!!
ReplyDeleteI never get bored with your Etsy finds.XXX
Congratulations on getting the job - that's fantastic!x
ReplyDeleteCongratulations. How exciting! I'm so glad you finally landed a job. Hope you've already popped the bubbly.
ReplyDeleteCongratulations!! Although I did have a sneaking suspicion you would had to get the job with all the pillow-diving experience :-D Hope the first day goes well! Mel x
ReplyDeleteYou are funny. That pillow diving was a release valve of the best sort. Bring on London!
DeleteCongratulations on your new job! I couldn't believe that you would have to wait a year for one and you didn't. You're the tops!
ReplyDelete(PS I'd like to apply for the au pair job...)
IN! I have a kettle for tea for you in the kitchenette thing.
DeleteI am so over-the-moon delighted for you, Carmel. I know what a turbulent time it's been for you. Plaudits to you, my friend, for sticking it out. I look forward to seeing your new career unfold, my learned friend! J x
ReplyDeletexo
DeleteCongrats,
ReplyDeletedear Carmel!
I wish you a good start, both and the rest of your family.
You know, you are one cog in the wheel.
Cheers,
Love,
Ariane.
Congratulations, good luck! I am sure Martha will be fine after Monday (are the blue tongues still around?) :-)
ReplyDeleteLove that room - the sconces!!
Would you believe I had a dream last night where I was talking to the new owners of our old house and specifically asked the children to be kind to the blue tongues which they'd find under the verandah if they were quiet and generous with banana? Am I insane?
DeleteWoohoooooo! Congrats Carmel! I knew you'd ace the interview. Fantastic x
ReplyDeleteOh, thank you all of you for your nice comments. Stupid thing is, I always think of blog readers when I do something ... along with my family and close friends. That's why everyone should have a blog.
ReplyDeleteWhy no one's commenting on the grass cutters, I don't know. Maybe they're more impressive in real life.
You people must pay a load of taxes for the country to be able to afford two full-time grasscutting men outside every house. Good thing you'll be back to work again now to help with all that tax-paying. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteMisey Mise,
Deletehere in Australia the State only encroaches so far into what private enterprise can otherwise efficiently provide. What you see in those two lawnmowing specimens is the creme-de-la-creme of landscape maintenance. The second individual will return tomorrow at about 2pm to collect his dues from the landholder's mailbox. I am like ONE with the hired-help around here. I feel like telling them they're cutting each other's grass but then that just confuses things.
Firstly well done on the job bizzo. Secondly I grew up with that exact stool in my lounge room- actually my mother probably donated it to your local vinnies!( she is on a minimalist phase) and lastly were you in the market for Hot/Cold cufflinks? Could be useful to flash at hubby when you walk in after a long day at work to indicate the general tone of the evening. melx
ReplyDeleteWOOHOOOOOO! congratulations on the new job - that's such fantastic news.
ReplyDeleteMy mum has a stool just like that which has been handed down the generations. It might be the only things that has in my family. Sheesh!
Just because no-one else said anything - gee those gardeners are doing a swell job!
The fellow dated mine at about 1930, but I suspect there are other much older as I've seen similar in AA Milne illustrations ... and that's what Sotherby's uses as a date-yard-stick.
DeleteMel, I fair dinkum snorted at the cufflink comment. Whatever can eliminate verbiage after a long day at work, I'm hot for.
ReplyDeleteI am incredibly happy for you. I can see a mid-century mansion full of scandi ceramics coming your way in a very short time now.
ReplyDeleteYes, those two rooms are wonderful. Yes, things can work themselves out if you let them.
Oh, if Deb comes to be your au-pair, 'broken items of the week' will have a scandinavian/mid century twist! Exciting!
Well a big Congratulations! And bring on the au pair!!! Don't you love a Cash's Name Label ... the sewing machine will be running over time until Monday.
ReplyDeleteFirst: those lawn cutting men are hot.
ReplyDeleteB: Thanks for the job offer, are you sending the airfare???
Cufflinks to the ready! I knew you wouldn't have to wait a year either.
xo
Congratulations on the new job!
ReplyDeleteAh, that stool - my mum has sneakily been collecting them for a few years; there's always at least one more each time I go there... she think's it's me who's a hoarder?;)
Congratulations!!! That's great. I'll start work after maternity leave in a month, can't say I look forward to it. But hey, at least someone will notice if you - say- get a new sweater.
ReplyDeleteI'm so pleased for you, especially that it's the 'perfect' job if i remember correctly? Yahoo!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, I was only telling someone the nonsense of research that comes up with such ludicrous statistics. I wonder, if the lawn mowing men are so top notch and committed, wouldn't one of them make a perfect au pair? Though I wouldn't want the one that makes sparks fly, too scary. I love the first room, I have a similar clock and I had the white fluffy rug, the name of which escapes me, but my husband hated it and called it a dust collector, unfortunately there was some truth to his findings. I have been intending to blog about our whipper snipper ninja's, you have inspired me.
ReplyDeletePS. I'm available Tuesday to have Martha. I think there's a 6:30 flight this way, I'll have her back to you sometime in 2016.
ReplyDeleteThat is such good news! But who will watch the lawn mower men when you are at work? It is highly inconsiderate of you to be picking up stumps...
ReplyDeleteDefinitely get some hot and cold cufflinks - let your wrists do the talking! xx
Hooray! I'm so happy for you. I'm a big believer in the "everything will work out the way it's supposed to" line of thinking, and if the job worked out, then so will the daycare! Congratulations, career woman!
ReplyDeleteRing-a-ding-ding!
ReplyDeleteAfter just one interview.
I couldn't be happier if Fred Astair knocked on the door to give me a dancing lesson.
Yes, congratulations - you are very lucky - I'm losing my job because I am a temporary government employee instead of permanent and everyone is being let go at the end of their contracts. Maybe I will be applying for your au pair job......
ReplyDeleteBrisgirl88,
DeleteI am really very sorry to hear that. I hope I don't come across as gloating. I wish you weren't losing your job. I may indeed be in your shoes in six-months' time. This position starts as a contract.
Of course not! Good on you - get stuck into it - in six months time it will all settle down and they'll be hiring again.
DeleteCongratulations MMMC - you're an inspiration.
ReplyDeleteThank you Amanda, but I really wouldn't go that far.
DeleteFabuloso!!! All that hard work and sacrifice has paid off Carmel!! I am surprised those gardeners didn't see you clicking away from across the street. ...pretty dressy for gardeners...usually they wear the fluro attire.....Enjoy Monday, will be thinking of you!
ReplyDeleteFantastic news! Congratulations!!!!!!!!! You go girl. And that first room. Gorgeous. What i'd do for those wall sconces! Good luck Monday.xo
ReplyDeleteHi MMMC just thought I'd pop in to say congrats on the new job!
ReplyDeleteEvelyn
Hello Carmel:
ReplyDeleteWhat is it about men and grass cutting? In England, the land from which we have escaped, no Sunday is free from the constant whirring of grass cutting machines, men at the helms, as they search for the perfect emerald green, carefully striped lawn. Surely, the Holy Grail would be easier to come by and yet these men persist. Boys and toys....
As we are new to your most spirited blog, do we detect that you are now to join the ranks of the employed? Of course, we are delighted for you if that is the correct response. Alternatively, we shed a tear for you if you would rather be languishing on a sofa all day, as we so enjoy doing!!
We have discovered you quite by chance via the delightful Mise and we are so thrilled to have arrived. We have so enjoyed your witty posts and have signed up as Followers so as not to miss future episodes. We do so hope that we shall welcome you at our blog one day!
Congratulations on the job!
ReplyDeleteThe rooms are really fab.
And I remember the days when people used rakes. My mom used to have my brother and I trim the grass along our fence with hand clippers. The good ol days. There was something very satisfying about that work, maybe because you could still hear your own thoughts and listen to the birds singing. ( Me hate leaf blowers.)
Thanks for sharing the good news. Go get em!
congratulations with your new job. I live in Nederland and i am also searching for a new job. It is not easy. Great done!
ReplyDeleteCongratulations, lovely Carmel! You will be most excellent in your new role, I knows its. Will you be wearing your pearls? Please don't be too busy to blog. I had grand plans of stepping up the indoor plant situation - what happened?
ReplyDelete1 heartbeat: that's how fast I would be there!
ReplyDeleteCongrats again on the job! I hope your childcare gets sorted quickly. My in-laws are in Sydney that week...want me to see if they can pop over for a day or two :)