Phew. Talk about exhausting.
Martha had the shortest career in daycare ever. She was enrolled to start today, we paid the bond and two weeks' in advance, and then a generous Grandma said she'd mind her until an au pair comes onto the picture. So she didn't go, and won't. Just the way I prefer it.
I have no idea what I'm doing at work. I have a lot of files. In piles.
And a large proportion of those file piles relate to clients who are enjoying funded accommodation at Her Majesty's pleasure ... which was the reason why I considered shutting down the blog.
Make a Note: You don't get a sizable stint in the slammer because you like hugging your friends, sewing curtains and being kind to little children or kitty cats.
So that's my decision. We'll shed some assets and privatise. Because the little mmmcs' privacy is more important and my bloggy ego. The blog won't be the same, but I'd rather that, than risk anything.
Thank you everyone who's read the blog and made such nice comments. My heart swells everytime I read a comment. So, thank you. If you have toyed with the idea of starting a blog, then I suggest you jump right in. I've regretted none of it, and have made wonderful friends who make me laugh. I think you'll find that'll happen to you too.
If you want to keep reading, email me at: makeminemidcentury@gmail.com

We were just wondering how the first day went. Both of them. The Red Baron suggested I check the blog. I scoffed - as if MMMC would have had time to update it ...
ReplyDeleteSo glad that the little one's first day was put off. One first day in the family is enough. Now you should take up the position the little one just left. Looks strangely comfortable.
Well done. We are very proud of you. If that is okay with you.
Thank you Reader 3 and Red Baron. I feel you've been with me the whole way.
DeleteI've been thinking of you today.
ReplyDeleteAnd Martha.
Hooray for amazing grandmas.
Expect an email.
Thank you, Mrs. Got the email.
DeleteSo glad you survived the first day!
ReplyDeleteI completely get the privacy blog issue. Off to email you now....
Farmer's Wife,
Deletethe first day seems so long ago now. Thank God for public holidays. We had one today!
Oh Carmel. No wonder you're both pooped. Off to email you now. J x
ReplyDeleteThanks Jane. You're a wonder.
DeleteHello Carmel:
ReplyDeleteWe have only just discovered you and now you are to leave the world stage that is Blogosphere.
We completely understand your reasoning and shall contact you by email to keep in touch.
Lucky Martha with a grandmother that can step into the breech!
Thank you Jane and Lance. I did see your blog. It looks very intriguing.
DeleteI've emailed as well. And I really like your turn of phrase 'funded accomodation..." what a very delicate way of putting it. :-)a job is a job though!
ReplyDeleteSharon,
Deletea job IS a job. I'm very lucky to have one, and feel very fortunate.
Kudos to the generous grandma! I'm sure you were more tired than Martha looks by the end of your day. I'm glad things are working out for you. I told everyone I had a job in Australia but nobody funded my ticket. The nerve!
ReplyDeletexo
Oops, me again. Do I have to email???
ReplyDeleteNo, no need to email Debbish.
DeleteNo one funded your ticket? Well, I can tell you there are NO au pairs available at present. None. Desperate times.
I know it makes you feel better that Martha is with her grandmother. My SIL's mother and I have kept the boys all their lives, and that's just the way I prefer it too. They tried a couple of months of daycare with Grandson #1, and he caught so many bugs from the other kids that he had to stay home most of the time anyway, so it was money wasted. We give the boys better care than any daycare could.
ReplyDeleteDana, that was exactly what I was worried about. The eldest was in daycare for a number of years, and she caught everything imaginable. Even diseases I'd never heard of. I really don't like day care to be honest, but sometimes one has absolutely no choice? And we all only want the best for our children, and if working provides that, then day care it has to be.
DeleteTotally get the privatisation and maybe the world would be a whole lit better if more people crocheted, sewed curtains and chased kittens around the garden? X
ReplyDeleteSarah,
Deletejust back from chasing some kittens around the garden ...
I've only just found you too and enjoy your posts (and thank you for liking my ducks :-D). Good luck with it all and I look forward to reading more. Melx
ReplyDeleteCoal Valley,
DeleteI love those ducks. They're quite fabulous in their upstandedness.
Good grief! She's a self bedder! Grandma must have worn her out. Grandma's are the rock on which many careers are built.
ReplyDeleteDid you get to do any cool stuff yet like wearing the wig? You can do that over here if you want to. Just think....paycheck! How exciting!!!
Your inner sanctum should be the same with the ol' gang-(sters) all showing up.
See you over there, Missy. I hope none of this makes you cry!
I haven't gotten to the point of wearing a wig.
DeleteHave you gotten to the point of wearing a wig?
Maybe you could get your hands on a Junior's horse hair?
Going private isn't a bad idea at all. I wouldn't want some of my ex-coworkers read my blog. But they do. I don't care about them so I keep my blog open, but I don't know what my reaction would be like if I would still be working with them. Go private.
ReplyDeleteBobster,
Deleteyes, I think I need a change.
I have only just discovered you but totally understand the desire to go private. It is something that is frequently on my mind. Emma
ReplyDeleteDear Emma,
DeleteI feel bad that you've joined a blog in its death throes.
I think I've found a way to have a private/public blog so I'm happy.
I hope the new job is going well, I have been thinking of you. Xxxx
ReplyDeleteDear Katherine,
Deletethe new job is going well, but I'm finding it stressful, mainly because it's new and I feel like I'm not doing as much as I should be. Hopefully in time it'll work out. Thanks.xo
Poor darling Martha. I know how she feels. Many a day I've fallen asleep like that myself, although usually with an empty wine glass beside me....just kidding?
ReplyDeleteLooks like I've checked in on you just in time. Sign me up!
Of course you're kidding!
DeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteI have really enjoyed reading your blog, love your sense of style, when I see the words Mid Century I'm hooked, living in Canada I see so many similarity's in the interiors but we don't have as many modern mid century homes. I'm glad that you are happy in your new job, all the best and thanks for sharing.
Cheers
margo on Vancouver island.
Hello Margo,
ReplyDeletethank you for your nice comments. Australia doesn't have the scale of Mid-Century that America has, and I think our take on Mid-Century is slightly different. Some Mid-Century trends in America are quite Atomic, and we don't really focus on the Atomic aspect too much. A lot of MC homes have been demolished unfortunately to make way for development. I feel a bit ill thinking about it.
I'm glad you enjoy reading blogs, it's fun isn't it?
I've been in lala land until this week. What the? Just caught up on blog. Totally emailing you!
ReplyDelete