Saturday, August 31, 2013

Poets

The other night, while watching TV, my mind drifted to the question, "who are our modern poets"? I couldn't think of one.

Then the next day, I read that Irish poet Seamish Heaney had died.

That coincidence has bothered me all weekend, so I pulled out the only two anthologies of Heaney's that I have boxed away, and read bits of them trying to remember why I bought them years ago.

A Call

'Hold on,' she said, 'I'll just run out and get him.
The weather here's so good, he took the chance
To do a bit of weeding.'

So I saw him
Down on his hands and knees beside the leek rig.
Touching, inspecting, separating one
Stalk from the other, gently pulling up
Everything not tapered, frail and leafless,
Pleased to feel each little weed-root break,
But rueful also ...

Then found myself listening to
The amplified grave ticking of hall clocks
Where the phone lay unattended in a calm
Of mirror glass and sunstruck pendulums ...

And found myself thinking: if it were nowadays,
This is how Death would summon Everyman.

Next thing he spoke and I nearly said I loved him.

7 comments:

  1. Wonderful. I see why you bought them.

    I've become hooked on free Coursera online classes. I never realized it was possible to get so much out of a MOOC. I've finished one, almost finished another and have signed up for four more. There's one starting September 7 on modern and contemporary American poetry, offered through the University of Pennsylvania.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of Coursera online classes! What's the go? Sounds like a good excuse to read and learn more.

      I do love good writing.

      Delete
  2. Not poetry related ... where has the swan gone???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I'd ditch the swan. Not 70s enough for me. I like the clean look until I come up with an image that befits the blog.

      Delete
  3. I love that poem. It makes me feel sad. Should it? I'm no good with poetry.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, makes me a bit sad too. I think it is a bit sad. The ordinariness of life can be sad, I think if one ponders long enough on mortality.

      Here's a poem for you Deb.

      Canada Wilds

      Debbish, she's my friend.
      Debbish, clothes she may mend
      but I don't know. I haven't seen ...

      Sassy's gone now.
      A horse. Not a cow.

      The end.

      Delete
  4. I think it's just a midlife crisis.

    ReplyDelete