Last week I made a trip to Ipswich to meet with the following three Internet doyennes: Katherine of the Old Boat House; Anita of Fun and VJs; and Jo of Desire to Inspire.
Before meeting up at Jo's incredible home, I had a quick scout around her neighbourhood, and was amazed at the diversity of architecture and the marvellous views of Ipswich.
I have always wanted to visit Jo, as I've seen snippets of her home on her design blog desiretoinspire. And I always love seeing Katherine and Anita because they're always such great, down-to-earth company.
Truly, I felt as if I'd pipped Vogue Living at the post by being allowed to photograph Jo's stunning home which is chockers with eclectica, books and art works; over-flowing
with colour and textiles; to-the-brim with wooden-cavities bursting with
treasures.
If I didn't have such a pissant camera, these photos would be so much better.
And the house has red cedar everywhere - bannisters, wall units. Mind boggling.
I soon learned that when one follows Jo
around her incredible home, one's arms become quickly filled with various items
from Jo's collection.
She says things like: "Here, take this piece of Ruska. Oh, and here's another one. You can fight over it. Who wants some art work? I really only want the frames. Look, there's some Scandinavian ceramics for you. And do you have a lamp? Do the Solid Gold Dancers wants some budgies? etc etc"
She is incredibly talented and generous and had me imagining myself ditching my career and trawling op shops, filling a studio and pottering-about looking groovy for the rest of my life ...
She says things like: "Here, take this piece of Ruska. Oh, and here's another one. You can fight over it. Who wants some art work? I really only want the frames. Look, there's some Scandinavian ceramics for you. And do you have a lamp? Do the Solid Gold Dancers wants some budgies? etc etc"
She is incredibly talented and generous and had me imagining myself ditching my career and trawling op shops, filling a studio and pottering-about looking groovy for the rest of my life ...
Back to reality.
The below is now a photo of my tawdry place - namely the au pair's room.
The below is now a photo of my tawdry place - namely the au pair's room.
Care of Jo, it now contains a framed embroidery.
We have some cute Japanese crockery.
There's a teak ice-bucket and a ruska pot which have settled themselves with other brown crockery.
And bless. Four Scandi glass figurines. One for each of the Solid Gold Dancers.
With an Iittala bowl for good measure. Divine.
Jo even passed on to me two leather dining chairs. Similar to the ones I saw sometime ago in a posh interiors store in Paddington ... remember?
Can you believe it? I can't.
Martha can believe it because she balances choc-chip biscuits on the chair she's adopted as-her-own.
Can you believe it? I can't.
Martha can believe it because she balances choc-chip biscuits on the chair she's adopted as-her-own.
And while in Ipwich, I forked out the princely sum of $2 for a glass plate.
When I returned to Brisbane, I was so inspired by design and individuality and all things chutzpah that I threw myself into cutting-out ephemera and scattering them on the plate.
There could be a tutorial in that, where women in their hundreds flock to pay good money to attend, but unfortunately it's back to the grindstone next week so I won't be able to host it.
Fin.
I'd love to do a zuzshing workshop held by you!
ReplyDeleteBut really John seems to be the most generous host. Her place looks amazing :)
No, not John, I meant Jo! That cracked me up :)
DeleteI think Jo would enjoy being called 'John' on the odd-occassion. There's something anarchic about that! She is a generous hostess indeed.
DeleteI must visit Jo.
ReplyDeleteYou must visit me first. I think there'd be heaps of people in Australia who'd enjoy a visit from you Debbish!
DeleteOh, my...Jo is amazingly generous. She gave you some beautiful things!
ReplyDeleteLovely things. You'd have fun with Jo too. I think you two would get along. You'd also love Anita and Katherine. My head would explode if you were all in the same room!
DeleteHow lucky are you!? I too was pleasantly surprised on my mos recent (and first ever) trip to Ippy. Her home looks divine!!!
ReplyDeleteIpswich is a dark horse ... of course there are some pockets which are require the bomb squad's attendance, but other than that it's got some very cool shops and cafes.
DeleteIt's an elite club to be invited to Jo's. So glad she's chosen wisely! Had a ball, still stroking my treasures and can't wait until we all meet again. xx
ReplyDeleteLaughing. Stroking treasures, my precious.
DeleteHow gorgeous are those glass figurines? You are one lucky ducky!
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad Martha has claimed a chair as her own. I think those biscuits will be the perfect conditioner for the old leather :)
ReplyDeleteThat's one way of looking at eating in the lounge room. I just see crumbs and greasy finger prints. I haven't told her of your offer of a budgie!
Delete