This is one of my enemies. It is not my lost Italian love.
This is my weapon of choice.
On another topic, I can thank my mother for much of my collection of Mid-Century ceramics. I have a few pieces which I love, and shouldn't, because they can obviously break easily and I get frustrated if I can't find them.
Check out these rooms ...

Unfortunately, they're not mine. If they were, I would never leave my house, and I would spend my days carefully wiping each vase and tabletop. The children could feed themselves.
If you are astute, you may notice the blue ceramics - Bitossi by Aldo Londi. These photos are enough to make my heart skip. Bitossi ceramics hark from Italy from the late 1940s to 1970s. They are characteristically blue, orange, purple or yellow. The animals are fabulous. The blue range is the most popular and ubiquitous. It is easily recognisable by each piece's hand-stamped geometric and floral patterns.
I feel giddy just talking about them.
I have two pieces ...
and ...
They are really just ordinary ashtrays.
I am currently drooling over the next piece which you can buy - right now - from a man in the Netherlands who has an impressive collection of Mid-Century ceramics. Ooh, imagine!

I would seriously push someone out of the way to secure a piece like this.
And so to my lost Italian love ... the ashtrays come from my mother ... she also had a Bitossi vase which has unfortunately gone missing in a house move ... it is my constant quest to find it, but alas it remains at-large.
I think it's time to move on. Until next time, Three Readers ...

With those ashtrays, I think you should take up smoking. Or perhaps Campari, which may be more socially acceptable.
ReplyDeleteDear Anonymous,
ReplyDeleteyears ago my husband said he'd 'dump' me if I kept smoking, so I stopped. Extrapolate that out now and he'd divorce me ... and take me to the cleaners and all I have is my Bitossi and I'm not splitting that 50/50. But you have made me think about their use.
Ahhhh mid-20th century. Makes more sense now to my befuddled brain.
ReplyDeleteCt,
ReplyDeleteI don't understand your confusion? Are you confused by the title of the blog? I admit I haven't devoted much time to my few favourite decades and all that came from them ... but I'm trying to keep the blog at one-though-at-a-time otherwise it gets messy. I'm working on a Spanish-themed corker of a post, so stay tuned.
For some reason I was thinking 19th century, and was wondering at what point you got into antique ceramics. Anyhoo, all is now clear, and I look forward to future posts on your titled theme.
ReplyDelete