Monday, June 27, 2011

Scandi tees

On the last post, Martha's shirt got some attention, so I thought I'd do a post on Scandinavian t-shirts.


We have quite a few Scandi-tees. Though the pile I'm going to show you has either come from Grandma or are ones we've have for years.


I actually haven't needed to buy any new clothes for any of the children this year. They have a very generous grandmother, and we have very kind family friends with older brothers who tend to hand-us-down fabulous clothing.


The great thing about Scandinavian t-shirts is that they're generally good quality, and you don't see them on every other kid in the supermarket (well not in Australia. I dare say it'd be different in Oslo).

Here are some brands:

This lot are Smafolk from Denmark.


They're stretchy and never shrink.


The sizing can be a bit confusing though.


Danefrae ... also from Denmark. These shirts are on the narrow-side. They fit Child 2 perfectly, but for someone stocky like Child 3, they're too tight. But I love vikings, so ...


This next shirt is my favourite. I'm not sure where Grandma sourced it. It's Finnish.


Aarrekid  ... a label I've never heard of, but I dig the illustrations.


The great thing about all of these shirts is that I hand-them-down from one child to the next. Even the viking ones I'll keep for Martha.


The only brand I've been disappointed in is this one: Snoffs from Sweden.

For some reason, the jersey cotton shrunk upwards and outwards, which shortened the life of the t-shirt ... Mid-rift t-shirts going out in the early 80s an' all.


And finally, ej sikke lej.


If I'm going to buy any Scandinavian t-shirts or dresses, I'll go to the BabyGoesRetro website, which often has sales.


And I forgot these little dresses ... snoffs (again), liandlo and Duns Sweden (a tendency to shrink up a bit too).

As an aside:

Thank you for your comments yesterday. It was a long-haul, but really any monkey could have done it.

And I'm about to embark on a 14-day marathon clean/declutter, which will give me time to work on the Giveaway I promised.

Fin.

17 comments:

  1. What a beautiful collection! So many of them I would wear myself if only they came in adult sizes. Maybe I could squeeze into a tween size? I might bring midrifts back into fashion. What a nightmare that would be! The apples motif are my pic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I could both type and spell correctly... I meant "pick" not "pic". Sheesh. Got excited by those tshirts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I highly doubt any monkey could have done it.....

    Love the cute T-shirts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are all SO cool. Lucky childlets. That last fruity dress looks like it should be scratch 'n sniff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are extra cool t-shirts. You have a most doting benefactor in Grandma. I'd love a Viking t-shirt for myself...my great grandfather was Norwegian. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same disappointment with the Snoffs onesies I bought for Freddy, they shrank straight away - not cool
    Nanou used to be a great Danish label, it went belly up a couple of years ago though, pity.

    I'm on the hunt for a viking t-shirt for Freddy, will have to visit baby goes retro (are you on retainer?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brismod,

    I think you can get adult sizes in the viking shirts.

    Estelle,
    It's been that long since I've bought any t-shirts that I actually forgot the name of the shop. If I do buy t-shirts I'll usually buy them a couple of sizes too big so that they get use for a couple of years. Those viking shirts are probably three years old.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great post, loving all the prints/clothes, the viking ones are BRILLIANT!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd make a baby right now just to dress him in Scandi t-shirts. But to make a baby that would look believable in those shirts I'd need a Scandi boyfriend, otherwise the baby would quite surely come out dark as a rat as I am.
    I had a Scandi boyfriend. Yarno, come back to me!!
    Can't believe I dumped him.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bobbi,
    you make me laugh 'til there are tears. You could get Scandi baby 'onesies' and put them on your fairer-furred cats. Same diff. as babies.

    (Get the Snoffs ones and wash them so they shrink a bit.)

    You don't need a boyfriend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The apples and the vikings are my faves. My best mate lives in Latvia and Liongirl has received some very funky swedish outfits in a similar theme. melx

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are lovely. And as someone else also commented would wear many of them as an adult if came in grown up sizes.

    Often see v v cute pjs in blogland or on tv that assume american but wondering now if they are scandi pjs? Similar prints etc bold colors

    ReplyDelete
  13. and I just discovered that Baby Goes Retro shopfront is 5 mins away from home. I need to get out more!

    Whoever wanted the Viking t - they have online currently

    ReplyDelete
  14. They are amazing I love the fun prints!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Scandi tees rock. I can see Deb's husband in a viking shirt.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome awesome awesome. I think I need to go online shopping, stat.

    ReplyDelete