I've been studying hard.
But here's a summary of what I've been otherwise up to.
One Day ...
We went to a friend's house for coffee. It was, quite possibly, the nicest and most sensible house I've ever been in. I couldn't fault it. Other than, it wasn't mine!
This isn't the house. This is a delicatessan where we source all our flowers and other delicacies.
I like to pick things up from the footpath, but I draw the line at a Liberty hankie.
This lamp in the window of a store in Paddington screams to me as I drive past it everyday. Screams.
This lamp sits next to the screaming lamp, but I was firmly told by the woooman behind the counterrr that it was "Noot for sale"!
Here are the lampages with their vasiage friends.
And this isn't an Old Boat House estate sale photo. This is all the junk I have. Nothing I own is of any real value.
Case in point: this ginger jar with the free roses the delicatessan lady gave me. (She gave me a bunch of roses but they were practically dead, so I don't know who was doing whom the favour ... But who's in a position to argue with freebies these days?) I clearly remember giving this jar to Grandad for Father's Day, back when I used to give him Father's Day presents, that is when he was my Dad and not a Grandad. It was filled with ginger something-or-others. So it's worth zilch, but I like it.
Beatrix Potter's favourite meal, slow-cooked Hedghog on toast.
Slow-cooked beef casserole ... the start of which anyway. As I said, I'm not around to see it cook.
Other than that ...
It's been so freezing, and I haven't been home during the day, that I've been slow cooking as much as possible.
Beatrix Potter's favourite meal, slow-cooked Hedghog on toast.
Slow-cooked beef casserole ... the start of which anyway. As I said, I'm not around to see it cook.
The cold weather, and it's indirect impact on the electricity bill, calls for economies of scale ...
A gratuitous photo of pyjamaed children playing with pirates.
And Horsey has a blog. He's taken the reins, now that I'm not blogging as much.
Here he is having an editorial discussion, with his cousin, as to the proper use of the semi-colon. It looks like they're hugging; they're not. They're in a serious editorial grapple.













Ah, grappling horseys, splendid. Do you know that my oldest kid had a v similar and very treasured horsey when small but all that's left of it now is a leg? Please don't tell Horsey as it might upset him.
ReplyDeleteAargh! Don't put it in the window if it's not for sale! Sorry - that annoys me so much. Or at least have a prominent sign. Too, too upsetting.
ReplyDeleteI was accosted by a pyjama wearing pirate only this morning. He had an eye-patch and his slippers on the wrong feet.
I took a photo of that exact same orange lampo when I was in Brissie last month.The shop was 5 mins from opening and the owners saw us and still didnt open I am sure we were not their type lol.I have heard they are way high priced in there anyway.
ReplyDeleteThe not for sale lamp lady sounds like Prue from Kath and Kim. I actually like the Ginger jar, it's very pretty, but also love the Spode plate. I haven't heard of that hedgehog whatsit but maybe it's related to the welsh rabbit whatsy. Don't think I'm making any sense as usual :)
ReplyDeleteooh I love that orange lamp too - it's screaming all the way across the river to me.
ReplyDeleteI'm trotting off now to read Horsey's blog..
I love horsey's blog. He is very clever considering he has plastic hooves and lacks an opposable thumb.
ReplyDeleteLove your Spode plate. It is my favourite Spode pattern (I am old fashioned like that)
Somehow I don't think I would draw the line at a Liberty hankie on the foot path ... hot wash with your sanitizer/whatever of choice and it would be miiiiiiiiiiiiiiine.
ReplyDeleteI think we're getting the real lowdown on the hoity-toity Not For Sale lamp shop woman - refusing to open 5 minutes early when she clearly had an interested potential customer... Now think hard. If that lamp wasn't there one day ie it had screamed a bit harder to someone else would you kick yourself? Should you buy it?? You are, after all, saving lots of money on the bathtime electricity, so its a sort of justifiable purchase ;)
ReplyDeleteright now, at this very moment as you are reading this, I am making off with that jaw droppingly fabulous Bitossi Bull, no Bull!
ReplyDeleteI've been away for too long, it sounds like lot's has been happening, some good some bad. I'm glad your sticking around, I've never had a friend who lives in Brisvegas before, and I do like to keep abreast of the goings on in your own personal 'sanitarium', that's what polite folks used to call funny farms right? :)
Why would the store clerrrrk but a lamp in the window if it's not for sale!? So annoying. You have a lot of stuff on your table. That square blue and white plate belongs to me I believe. I'll trade you a duck plate for it. Your ducks in a row look divine, I can't get over how old Martha looks! Does she have a blankie or is it a huge hankie? Study harrrd and keep warm. Your food looks good too.
ReplyDeleteThat Horsey is always up to something, he should join Sassy as behaving camp.
i am completely smitten over screaming orange lamp. i would run out and buy it right from under your nose, but it's a little too far to travel right now. i think you should hurry to purchase, or it may just start screaming obscenities, and you don't want to be responsible for that, do you?
ReplyDeleteps. horsey needs a good editor to solve horsey conflicts.
I love your photos and your humour, could tell this was an Aussie blog by the first paragraph. You have a new follower xx
ReplyDeleteMr EM would go bonkers for that shop with the lamps and vases. He's a true fan and collector of West German postwar ceramics. Next time we're at the French house where the collection is displayed I'll take some pics ( if allowed!) Of course here we can buy them much more easily, and presumably more cheaply, but it's getting harder to find really stunning examples like those two lamps, at any price.
ReplyDeleteI think your floral arrangement in the ginger jar is charming, though I'd have preferred it full of crystallised ginger to which I'm addicted.
And Martha is just, well, as adorable as ever.
So nice to catch up with you again, though dashing off to follow horsey's adventures now. Cx
That lamp is amazing.....I like your ginger jar to!
ReplyDeleteAre you almost done with school?
Oh, my golly gosh. Even with my standard-issue earplugs in (you think I''m kidding?) I can hear that lamp screaming. It's yodeling, actually. I want! I want!
ReplyDeletelove orange lamp v much!
ReplyDeleteYou'd be surprised how much some of your crockery would be worth. I spy some Kelco and Bitossi. But I guess the value of something like that is in the actual use. If you use it and enjoy it then it is a good thing. xx
ReplyDeleteOh Carmel, you would die if you saw the lamps I passed up at an estate sale this week. It KILLED me! I went back three times, the third time they were gone, gone, gone. I'm still in mourning. I just don't know what I'm going to do with all this lampage when we move to a trailer. I need to just stop going to the sales, that's all.
ReplyDeleteI love the babies in the bath and later in fresh jammies. Miss those days, kissing the tops of their clean little heads. Sweet. I better go check in on Horsey now.
I LIKE the look of your junk!!! Slow-cooked hedgehog! Eustace and Horsey remind me of you and me. In grammatical grapples. x
ReplyDeleteJane, you could start a plastic leg collection. Or a toy prosthesis collection. I have a plastic arm around here somewhere.
ReplyDeleteLakota, those are the worst kind of pirates; the ones in outward pointing slippers!
Nelly, the only thing between me and that lamp is the $325 price tag. I have a couple of vases which match it, and it'd look right at home. Unfortunately!
SarahB,
the hedgehog dish is so-called because it as rice embedded in the rissoles, and as the rissoles cook, the rice expands and protrudes. It's all very exciting.
Alecia,
the lamp's still screaming.
AFW,
the horse is much smarter than me. It is a nice plate. I'm just waiting for someone to smash it.
Helen,
I did pick it up. It looked clean. I did a pros-and-cons, and put it back. Hopefully, someone will claim it!
Trashsparkle,
my, you put a very good argument. I should take you with me next time I go out! We'd have fun together methinks.
Estelle,
you've been missed. The other Melbournian is Zigsma. :)
Deb,
Martha has a series of muslin wraps which we rotate. Can't sleep without them.
Carey Brown,
you're a bad influence. I'd love to buy that lamp!
Hello Ava! I love a new follower because they replace the ones that leave very soon after joining.
Ms EM,
West German pottery is getting crazily expensive. As is the whole Mid-Century ceramic thing. The next big thing will be Mid-Century stoneware wall plaques. You watch. I've noticed them becoming more available. And it's not like they're 'antiques'. The trick, I think, is to be the first onto a fad. But what would that be, I wonder? Thank you re Martha. xo
Polkadot Heidi,
a few more weeks for one, and then six months for another.
Wendy,
do you sell those earplugs in your etsy store?
MCM,
what!? You can squeeze lamps into a caravan! Are you kidding!? I wish you could see these kids before they get too old.
Zigsma,
we're yet to debate the split infinitive. You're more like Eustace, than Horsey.
Forget the lamp, head to the op shop and see if it provideth. Your collection of crap is impressive and quite artistic....why is it all over the bench? Tell me it is not study procrastination shelf sorting. Horsey's blog is awesome. melx
ReplyDeleteI'm afraid that lamp must be taken from that anal atmosphere surrounding it.
ReplyDeleteOther than that, I am seriously concerned about Lakota's morning meeting.
I think it may have been her dyslexic husband in disguise.
Now, not wanting to cause offense here.
It could have been the milkman.
Look at Martha's face in the bath, busy doing a beauty routine.
ReplyDeleteSlow cooked hedgehog - delicious and amusing!
PS - What a gorgeous and large collection of treasures you possess; I see no junk. (Horse - see the semi-colon).
Ha, ha. Love the Horsey's hugging (they are you know. Not 'discussing' at all). Thanks for your comment on baby space :) Have a great weekend!
ReplyDeleteAh nothing feels as good to cuddle as a small, clean, flannalette pj'd child...sniff. That lamp is pretty FAB and would go so well with the orange vase you got. I don't ever understand the displayed item not for sale thing. Your 'junk' looks pretty good to me and I would snap it up quick ha I often despair of all the 'junk' I have but it makes me happy, doesn't make me fat and unless it all falls on me, won't kill me so there are worse vices. Hope all is going well and life is not getting too busy, enjoy the weekend, xx Katherine
ReplyDeleteHaha, it's nice to see Horsey has a bloggy place of his own. What an affectionate horsey he is. :)
ReplyDelete