Sunday, July 31, 2011

Bleeding Heart

Just quickly, I've a mammoth day ahead, and I hear the stirrings of childish consciousnesses.

But I was just thinking while I was vegemiting some white bread to produce what is known in Gourmet Traveller as a vegemite sandwich ...  I was thinking that despite my strongest, toughest political leanings (champagne socialists are another topic of personal keen interest that we won't discuss here), I will cry at the drop of a hat.

I started getting teary the other day when Finnish K started talking about her Grandmother, after she was reminded of her by visiting The Land of Grandad and Grandma.

I get a bit sniffly listening to Mike Brady whenever he lectures one of the Brady kids about being a good kid growing up in an architecturally designed house which comes with its own housekeeper (The Brady Bunch on Channel 11 at 5:30pm).

I made a lecturer cry the other day when she was lecturing us about Wills and Estates (my favourite area of the Law due to its potential to tug at the heart-strings). She was talking about a woman who died and left two infant children. She said no relative wanted to be the Guardian of these two children, so ...

Curious, I put up my hand and asked her why no one wanted to take on these children (I get much pleasure hearing about children more atrociously behaved than mine).

Then the lecturer stopped and she started to cry. Then I started to cry and sniff. Then the girl sitting next to me started to cry. I'm not sure how many people in the lecture theatre were crying. But it was an issue I wish I hadn't pursued ...

And you may recall what Christmas Carols do to me. But there's four months, to toughen up, 'til then.

Well, that's it. Gotta sprint.

20 comments:

  1. You are obviously a very caring and sensitive person...we need more sweet people like you in the world!

    Best wishes and happy Monday.
    Natasha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG - me too. I'm so predictably sniffy when describing stuff which moves me. My family are kinder to me now, but usually they just get cross (why?) BTW was that an English law case? As a student I usually enjoyed dissecting the mad wills some people made. Or the wills some mad people made. Whatever. I particularly liked the fact that if Mr EM and myself die in a car crash together it will be presumed that I died first because I am ( shock ) the elder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There should be more people in the world like you :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I tear up about once a day. Telstra ads, Current Affair promos, Small Potatoes on ABC2 (God, SO CUTE!!!) the whole bit. When it's actual, real life,people dying, people missing their loved ones, it's a guaranteed sob fest. And my nose goes seriously red every time. May have to disguise that with a drinking habit.

    I'm so glad you cared about those kids. Where are they now though? Should we all do something????!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cry at those things too. I keep ordering up foster children every time I see one of those ads on tv. Did the lecturer know what happened to the children?
    A vegemite sandwich will toughen you up.

    p.s. my word veri is criall. No lie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think we should be ashamed to cry when deeply touched by sad, unsolved emotional human dilemmas.
    I believe in the words of John Donne in one of his meditations.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main.
    .......therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to be a bit of a sooky-lala as well. I think my children find it terribly confusing that I'm sitting there crying at the end of Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang EVERYTIME WE WATCH IT, which is about fortnightly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the same.I cry at happy things and sad.I cry in movies(titanic and toy story 3 but even 20yr old sonn cried in that) and books.I cry when I hear of some poor person diying on the news.I am a sookie la la too.I am sad that no one wanted those kids.we are the carers of 5 of our grandkids as their mum has bi-polar and even tho she loves them lots DOCS go involved and you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes I am the same as you well know as I think I had us both crying the first time we met retelling my ..." good bye old friend" story about an old guy we bought a dressing table off that he had had since he was 5....." good bye old friend he said as we carried it down the front stairs and he gently gave it a pat...remember? I remember feeling embarrassed thinking, I just met this woman and now I am making her cry. Yours in tears, Katherine xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello again.
    Goodness the two children story has me wanting to cry. I tear up about strangers constantly, and I think becoming a mother only exacerbated this tendency.
    Australian Story is a cry-fest nearly every week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am joining you on that one... i am a real sucker!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always cry at weddings. When Joanie and Chachi got married on Happy Days I bawled my eyes out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A terrifying story for any mother. gosh i hope those babies found someone to love them (hopefully someone as desperate for a child as they are for a parent). Thinking about all the babies crying themselves to sleep at night makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. sniff... my canky is wet!
    Dear Carmel, I'm weep easily... but in this case, no chance.
    But: Yesterday I've laughed about your loud sweethearts - so are my kids too... And your 'black' Finnish K caresses the kangaroo (is it a flyer or a boomer?). My children asked who are these Japanese women?

    Love,
    Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You big sook!I bet you ugly-cried when watching Toy Story 3. Like me! xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Don't even try to mention Dumbo and Bambi to me. I sob like I was hit by a train.

    ReplyDelete
  17. me...
    and I've meant 'hanky'... and sometimes I don't know, if somebody understand my gibberish especially when my time it getting short and my loud children are screaming. Its hard not to write in my native language. Its hard to feel stupid.
    x Ariane.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh that story, i would have been asking for the names & addresses (with that awful situation, i can imagine the children being split, just to make it worse) & gathering up those children, i collect them, my husband has also decided 4 isn't enough, oh that's right, he's living interstate for 4 years, he forgets what one child is like!! I cry at television weddings, they are my downfall, even ones i have no relationship or investment in, just a sucker. Love Posie

    ReplyDelete