Saturday, July 23, 2011

A Finnish girl, Japanese girls and lazy Australian animals

In an effort to keep our au pair (whom I'll now refer to as 'K') interested in us, we took her to Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary today.

We all had a hoot; got used to standing in poo; and realised that a few of the animals we saw at the Sanctuary can actually be found in our back garden - namely bush turkeys and Martha.


It's not easy having an au pair. It's turned out to be a crazy mix of having domestic help, a permanent guest and a 22-year-old daughter.

This post will probably only interest foreign readers, as it features a lot of Australian animals.



Lobotomy Koala.


Child One laughing!

A lot of the animals at Lone Pine spent their day sleeping. Slumbering koala.


Dozing wombat.


Child One going to slap Child Three.


Not a skerrick of Marimekko. Notice the bush turkeys. It costs $32 an adult to see some bush turkeys. I think we're sitting on an untapped fortune in entrance fees to our back yard.


Kangaroo food.

They were big kangaroos. We were a bit hesitant.


So we found the ones who were too lazy to get-up off the ground.


Oh, holding hands!


A big kangaroo lying down.


Martha chasing little kangaroos. Maybe they were wallabies. Who knows.


There were lots of Japanese tourists. For some reason, they kept coming up to us and saying "Cute" and giggling. I think they thought we were all part of the act. Don't the children look interested in a potential cross-cultural exchange?


I had to take photos of them all with the children. By the end, Martha was waving at all the Japanese girls. I think she thought they were all the same person.


Cassowary. Be wary. They'll rip your guts open with one of their feet, if given half the chance.


Snakes. Finnish K is petrified of snakes and spiders.


This is Australia's most venomous snake. Thank goodness it was behind glass because Finnish K was hopping about like a Moomin on a hot tin roof.


Finally, an alert koala.


Dingo. I was ready to yell that sentence if it took one snap at Martha.


Fresh water crocodile. I think it was asleep too.


Oh, family.


Fin.


Eustace, why did she pack us in the picnic basket if we didn't feature in this adventure?

Horsey, I think we've been forgotten. Maybe we should pack our bags and go on a trip?

26 comments:

  1. WOMBAAAAAATS! I don't know what to say. I keep screamin WOOOOMBAAAATS in my mind, and maybe even out loud. Oh god, I would love Australia. Can I be your next au pair? I'm worst than a 22 year old daughter because I am fifteen, I can be of no use in domestic help, but I have been told I am an invisible guest and i talk about Eero Saarinen in my sleep, wich can be amusing. Oh, and I am round like a Moomin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun day.I think japanese people just love blonde haired children.I lnow once many years ago they were all over our 21 yr old son (he was really young then) he had blue eyes and blonde hair and they wanted lots of pics with him.
    Bet K is having a great time with you all xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids look like they are having an absolute hoot. Interesting phenomena isn't it?, we have an overseas visitor and we start enjoying what is in our back yard. I would be doing exactly the same. Plague proportions those dam bush turkeys. The council needs a proposal, working party or something for some BT control. We have a permanent one around here who thinks it is a dog (ie eats dog food) and a chicken. They are rats with feathers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a bit of a laugh at your Marimekko comment...despite it's abscence she still looks rather well dressed for someone who's meant to be looking after/playing with your kids...
    It will take a while for you all to get used to each other, we had a French exchange student and it was a bit tricky at the start but by the time she left we all loved her to bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the slumbering wombat. I actually made a wombat cake today for my cousin's 40th birthday, as you do... yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No wonder that last koala was 'alert'! Did you see what it was sitting on? Just remembered that I once had to take the famous dingo lady out for lunch (for work -- we were publishing her book) -- I was very nervous but it went off okay.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobbi,
    wombats wee a lot. It seems. And they waddle about. They're cute. The husband was quite surprised at how big and brickish they were.

    Nelly,
    maybe it was the blonde hair. Finnish K was a bit shocked at the attention. I said 'Get used to Japanese tourists!'

    Megan,
    bush turkeys drink Noodle's water and I had a friend come over one day and she said a group of four was playing poker at the back table. They're rife.

    Kylie,
    I like your comment. I hope we all warm to each other. I think it gets easier as each day passes. I think the Marimekko thing may be generational. I love a challenge.

    Cherry,
    if you had a blog, we could see the wombat cake. Did you present it on a writer's bureau?

    Jane,
    I had to go back to the koala photo!

    I do feel for Mrs Chamberlain (now something else). What an ordeal. Dingoes are dangerous and have more-recently killed an eight-year-old boy. Thank God this one was muzzled, because I wasn't taking any changes, and had "A Dingo's got my husband!" on the tip of my tongue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The writer's bureau comes tomorrow. Yes, really.

    I had a blog once, but it was neglected too much. Flickr does it for me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cherry,
    Oooh! Lovely! I'm thrilled! Flickr ... I'm not sure how that works.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You could probably charge a lot more than $32 if admission included a peek at Martha. I love child 1's smile, does it happen only rarely? (emo) NO ONE is allowed to pick on Child 3, okay? K seems very chic and you have a beautiful family that anyone would love to snap a pic of. I would love to see a koala and a kangaroo. (Be still my heart.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Clever to provide the appropriate food for the Australian fauna-chuppa cups work better than horse tranquilliser for calming the savage beast or feisty under 10's. Did the small emo enjoy the emoo?

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.S. Kangaroo food is tasty but an acquired taste. The au pair might have preferred a chuppa chip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have had a few live in sitters before and it can be tough and wonderful!
    I'll be thinking of you....she is so cute when you take her out in public put a bag over her head so you keep the male species away...thats where my trouble began......love your animals Momma!

    ReplyDelete
  14. THEY LET YOU GO IN WITH THE KANGAROOS AND PET THEM?!?!?!?!? That would make my LIFE!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, I wonder if K is surreptitiously sending home photos of you with the comment: "See? There is no Jenny Kee here"...?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mook,
    Ha! She did say to me the other day, "Your sartorial versatility with your collection of Ken Done scarfs and sarongs is something to behold!"

    ReplyDelete
  17. A feral day had by all.
    Except Horsey and Eustace who thought they were part of the edibles.
    K looks like a plus.
    I must admit to be surprised that kangaroos ate brown paper bags.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As a child in the 80s I used to get given coins by Japanese tourists, my children have never been offered any which I am taking as a sign of globalization, rather than them not being as cute as I was...

    ReplyDelete
  19. From now on I shall be referring to Snorkmaiden as Oh Hair. Your hubby's so retro in his docs. The Japanese and their kawaisa - so strange. A mother at school came up to Saskia and was GUSHING - 'so cute, so cute, oh so cute'. I thought her children were pretty cute too. But I'm not Japanese.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuteness_in_Japanese_culture

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am totally with K on not liking the Inland Tiapan. I had a bad enough experience with the Western King Brown. The only poisonous snake I like is those that are in a posh woman's shoes or handbag.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Loved this post, it brings back memories of my backpacking days when me and hubby visted lone pine, loved it! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun day - I remember going there when I was 12, I'm old now of course. I even have the obligatory cheesy photo of me holding a koala and looking very unimpressed (note to tourists: they are not cuddly). I love that Lone Pine is still around.

    Haha at bush turkeys, we see them pretty regularly around our place too and we live 4k out of the city!

    ReplyDelete
  23. oh how i love WOMBATS! a friend's son had one for a pet "GEorgia" i'll send you a pic sometime if i ever find it.
    i've been to this park. A male Koala left his manly mark on my chest and then i had to go to dinner with some Dr. friends of friends with a mysterious odor coming from my top. how embarassing!
    i think they are all drugged! when i was there everybody was sleeping as well. must be those gum leaves!
    fun fun fun

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lone Pine Sanctuary. It sounds like a day spa. It is not. Although I have spent many a day seeking refuge from my four walls of home with the children.
    Lobotomy Koala. You see that's why you make me laugh. Is that the bell?? I MUST GO!

    ReplyDelete