This beautiful creature sits on this brick at about the same time every morning. I look forward to seeing him (her?).
He (she?) is a creature of habit. A bit like us, because everytime we visit Grandad and Grandma, they pile us with things to take home.
Bubbles.
Brother-whacking machine.
Wonderful old woollen scarfs from Scotland which I'm guessing would be at least 40 years olde.
Camphor has kept the moths away which can't be said for my more modern Scottish cashmere cardigan which is peppered with moth holes. Curses! I don't know what to do. Probably repair it, MMMC. Like they did in the olden days.
A Danish salt and pepper set.
Dainty, ain't it?
Scrabble letter canvasses.
Which I'm having trouble deciphering.
Maybe they spell, in code, "Your children are noisy and smelly and they chase the cat, so would you stop coming to visit us and taking away our possessions?"
Humph! Here's the almost-two-year-old who's tackled the terrible, tornado-like, tantrum-throwing Toddler Twos.
Here she is coming in for a bath.
That's right, Martha, my sweet! Put down the stick and come inside for a nice warm bath.
Or, if you prefer, stay outside with your stick, play in the dirt and pretend you can't hear me.














Crumbs I love that photo of Miss almost two standing guard in front of that wall, with the finger wagging action going on. Send it to the au pair...she'll love it too :)
ReplyDeleteShe looks like such an angel...but that must be her ploy for the unsuspecting!
ReplyDeleteGosh, you must be like my missing twin or something. We went to visit my parents too and brought home some (questionable retro) items!! Don't you just love the school holidays! xx
Yes, the image of Miss Martha back to the wall is definitely frame-worthy. I can't believe how she's grown in the short time I've been looking at photos of her.
ReplyDeleteDon't let anyone here see that brother-whacking machine.
I love the brother whacking image and always like the stories you tell in your posts. That salt bowl is so sweet, as is your adorable daughter :)
ReplyDeleteOh yes, we know all about toddler tantrums over here at Betsy's. Had one today at Legoworld at Southbank as Liongirl refused to leave the shop without a Belville castle. Actually suctioned herself onto the door bawling at the top of her lungs. Lovely. melx
ReplyDeleteI loooove that Scottish scarf!!
ReplyDeleteAnd that mini salt and pepper set - you'll use it won't you?!x
Four was such a good number for the letter canvas/ photos etc. It was so symmetrical, so balanced. Five is tricky. If you arrange them with one in the middle it is verging on Brady Bunchesque. If I get nine with an au pair and a Noodle, it is achievable. Alice the maid never did much with the kids though. She just got up to shenanigans with the butcher. It was the 60's, there was mary- jane about (with your au pair anyhoo) or was that Gilligan's Island...
ReplyDeleteI can't believe what you're saying about Marvelous Miss Martha! She's adorable, she could be posing for a fashion shoot in the photo of her with her arms crossed. Does she know how to use the brother whacker by chance??? Have you planned your flight from the house to coincide with the terrible twos perhaps?
ReplyDeletewhat a great expression on her face, that little lady with her arms crossed in front of her chest, makes me smile...
ReplyDeleteYou make me laugh!
ReplyDeleteAnd Martha and Beth obviously share the same hearing issues. What joy!
this is one of my favourite posts of all time. The picture of the boys with the brother whacking machine?! Tooo hilarious! And that one of Martha standing against the wall...she looks like a little fashion blogger!!
ReplyDeletesigh.
Someday I must meet you and your family in person.
My mother has a scarf like that! I don't think I have ever seen her wear it over the last fifty years..but it does exist..I should say in pristine condition as it never gets worn, same brand and all. She probably saved it for some special occasion that never occurred..some time when wearing a special tartan scarf was obligatory or something...I dunno!!
ReplyDeleteWell just go ahead and melt my heart. Martha's little dress is just perfect! I want one. Wherever did that fabric come from? And her little boots, oh my...I'm in love. Big brothers black Beatle boots almost made me cry. Other brothers striped knickers are just too darn cute. As for the Grandparent scores, I'm speechless. Monumental post...precious photos.
ReplyDeleteMy parents are always offloading their treasures too. You would love the bright orange enamel fondue set that they gave my sister. Very MCM!
ReplyDeleteI must also tell you that everyone in our family had a hard time thinking of a gift for my nan. I ended up getting her some earrings, my sisters gave here perfume and my mum gave her some swarovski jewels and a mobile phone with extra large font as a bit of a joke gift!
Take care and happy Wednesday!
Best wishes,
Natasha.
kook kook kook kook kook ka ka ka ka ka. they are such fantastic birds, such personality. Bubbles, sticks and wackers, these are the best most precious days, ahhh xxxx Katherine
ReplyDeleteSo there is, after all, one positive aspect to not having parents. Although I'm sure those scarfs feels (and smells) lovely.
ReplyDeleteMartha; you look extraordinarily wonderful. Love your attitude - all girls show (be allowed to) have it. Just do whatever it is in your own little time.
Scrabble letters were among the things we picked up at the flea market, great for learning letters.
Loev you all; Lilli
We have a routine with birds too. Although ours are Lorikeets.
ReplyDeleteIs that you clans tartan wee lass? I had one in Darwin for my maiden name; the same as a fowl mouthed British chef. It would probably have died a mouldy death by now.
I think we'd like a brother whacking machine, and I think you need a vowel/s.
that bird is soo fluffy! It's a moomin bird, I believe. Martha looks very scandi with those boots.
ReplyDelete