Wednesday, July 13, 2011

A Giveaway. A girl in a shirt. Some Moomin. Ikea genius. Crankiness.

I'm starting to see the time I can devote to blogging, rapidly slipping away. So I thought I'd better hold that Giveaway! Giveaway! Giveaway! I mentioned a while back.


If you'd like to have a chance at getting a vintage pillowcase (it's a fabulous one. I have a second one like it), one of Pam's beautiful soaps, a vintage card (which I've had for some time. It'd look good framed), and a Little My Moomin purse, then just comment.


In this Giveaway! Giveaway! Giveaway! I'll also include the people who commented on this post, because everyone said such nice things.

Thus, if you commented on that post and then comment on this post, that's two chances.

It's not a staggering prize, but it's better than a poke in the eye with the end of a vacuum cleaner.



I've decided every mother should be given an au pair when they leave hospital. So, as you're walking out the hospital's door with your sweet little bundle of joy, also accompanying you is your au pair. It makes sense now I think of it.


Here's my sweet little bundle of cantankerousness. She's donning a KLT shirt. Everyone should have a KLT shirt in addition to an au pair. I'm an aficionado. KLT does women's and men's sizes. I'm just trumpeting that fact because KLT sent this shirt to Martha. They are hand-me-downs from KLT's little lad. I love a good hand-me-down.
 

And who wouldn't love to get their sweaty Moomin paws on some Moomin enamel mugs? I can tell you, the New Kids on the Block love them here.


Here are some stools I covered in Ikea oil-cloth earlier today. It's not a great example of home-craftiness, but it brings me some satisfaction to wield a staplegun.


In this magazine, which was kindly given to me by a good chum, is my all-time now-favourite house.


I carry the magazine with me so I can look at the pages over and over.


It (the house not the magazine) has cork floors, and fabulous bright colours, and everything's orderly, but not impossible to imagine in reality.


There's beautiful furniture and a great entrance. Sometimes I wonder if it's more sensible to renovate something Mid-Century or design something from scratch.


Have you started Christmas shopping? I hunt and gather things during the year and squirrel them away.
 

I was pretty OLD-WOMAN-CRANKY to see this Internet order arrive at the front door, upside down, poorly sealed and OPEN. Everything was in there, but it arrived all-harakiried for all to see. And 'see the guts' they did. So now I have to work out what to do with the Christmas presents that everyone's already seen.

The store I ordered it from also sent the wrong crocheted Moomin figure. Yes. Precisely what I thought.

I ordered Snufkin, and Moomintroll turned up. How can one not tell Moomin characters apart?

So, I'm in the throes of getting the correct Moomin figure and refuse to post the wrong one back, at my cost, without having the one I ordered sent to me first. I suggested they send me Snufkin, and a self-addressed pre-paid envelope, in which I'd then return Moomintroll

But they are being obstinate, and so am I. It's time to take a stand, because I'm SICK of poor service.

(Standing in a belligerent fashion) Gone are those days, Your Honour. (Sit down again with a withered grimace).

Fin.

27 comments:

  1. a) awesome prize! b) those enamel mugs! Swoon! c) I am furious on your behalf about the Moomin mix up, you tell 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely giveaway and those stools are so cute.Bad service all right I wouldnt be happy either looks like they may lose a customer or 2 have you told them that?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it wrong that when I see photos of beautiful houses I imagine living in them sans children (and sometimes sans husband)? Love the pillowcase, I'm obsessed with tulips.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can understand why that house is your new favourite. Very easily. I want a house like that one please...pretty please...pretty please with a cherry on the top...
    Gorgeous pillowcase btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely giveaway! I adore the pillowcase and gave been wondering what Pam's soap is like. The moomin doesn't look very impressed that she's portrayed as a purse.
    I'm with you on that house - utter gorgeousness!
    Stick to your guns re the bad customer service. That's such a gripe of mind too. I thought of you recently when I bought some buts from an online shop calked Larry Post as they had moomin computing in books that looked nice. Their service was good too :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh god, the predictive text on my iPod thingy embarrasses me again!! I didn't go butt shopping!! I meant a 'bit' of shopping! Also, they weren't moomin computing books, I meant colouring in books!! This device is trying to make an idiot of me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stella,
    I think it's a nice prize. I always put these giveaways up and think, "Stupid! Keep it for yourself!"

    Nelly,
    I think a lot of people would be surprised if I mentioned the store. But I won't.

    Greta,
    sometimes I wonder what it'd be like if I married a woman. Really. I do. Woman are more understanding about the need for flowers.

    Kylie,
    we all deserve a nice house like that. Is that too much to ask?

    SarahB,
    I laughed at your first comment because it was completely insane. And then I laughed at your second comment. I'll put you down for all your comments. I wonder whether my life would be made more efficient if I had an i-phone? I'm thinking it may be the key ... predictive spelling or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, you know I'm in for your giveaway. I can't bare to look at those Habitus images you posted - we are so far away from ever getting a place like that. Must stay focused on the house we're in.
    Love the polka dot stools and of course everything else. But the stools are really cool. xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep, count me in. I'll whip that pillowcase into something impressive... or just put it on a pillow. Lovely pic of Martha. Good luck with the present-forgetting. God, that happens here so often. I try to put things away, but then they find them and that's that. It's like Law & Order around here. The Criminal Intent one, not SVU or anything.... I don't even have an iphone and this isn't making any sense... I mean it's like living with a family of very short detectives...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Put me down for the giveaway. That moomin purse girl sure looks cranky. A lot like me. Martha looks great and your stools are great too. I squirrel away for Christmas too and then forget all about it half the time. The girls love it when I find things for them the day after Christmas. They come to expect it now!
    What's with the postal system these days???

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh God, I have so many people to buy Christmas presents for. In our family you buy for everyone, aunts, uncles, cousins, husband's step brother's civil partner etc etc. Maybe I should just get everyone a Moomin mug...hmm.

    I like the stools, and think I need to add a staple gun to my arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That magazine looks fabulous. I want to see more & after renovating several times, I'd say build your mid-century masterpiece from scratch. Happy Giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh my sympathies on 'outed' Christmas gifts. Maybe the kids can each pick one item and then draw secret Santa names, so no one will know who's getting what and from who? Also, good luck with your mistaken moomin identity crisis. So trying I am sure.

    Love the polka dot stools! And, that moomin purse that you are giving away is the bees knees!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd quite like to win just so I can say: "Oh, it's nothing really, just some little knick-knacks from a friend, she's a lawyer you know".

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is my third attempt to throw the die for a gmail 6 and proceed from START.
    It's getting harder and harder to break down these cyber walls someone has created to keep me out of the world of Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made it!
    So, I'll sum up my previous attempts and say "Yes".

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hellooooo Martha, all dressed for winter. I'm sure your winter is warmer than our summer.
    Loving the mugs, the stools and what seems like the cutest Giveaway! Giveaway! Giveaway! ever.
    I wonder how anyone dares to send Moomin instead of Snufkin to a lawyer...
    (I've been Christmas shopping since last Christmas... seriously)

    ReplyDelete
  18. pick me, pick me, pick me
    I am greedy for Moomins and pillowcases

    also

    I really would not be at all upset if you threw in an au pair...not.one.bit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hey hey, i am in! to try my luck...
    so, i guess you are happy with the au pair? those are good news!

    (i am trying to collect gifts in general throughout the year so that once the occasion is there i don't need to stress about it. it doesn't always work. and lately i am all for giving activities and time rather than material goods. or homemade stuff.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. In the Netherlands the State does give you an au pair or mother's help to see you through the first two weeks. Time and again I find myself thinking what a civilised country.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Dear MMMC - thanks for your offer, but I won't be entering any Giveaways any time soon, however desirable because I have accumulated so much STUFF that Mr EM is demanding that I hold a daily Giveaway until it's reduced to manageable proportions. Habloodyha. I have decided to offer him as the Giveaway and see how he likes that! (Lots probably.)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I cannot see your pictures because apparently this new computer (Hal) is so clever and smarty pantsed up it is telepathically showing me your images and I clearly don't have the appropriate luddite brain link. I will pretend it is pre screen days and that this is radio blogging so I just have to imagine all the good bits.
    * Pillowcase- always good, but I can never cut them.
    * Martha - always engaging in something retro adorable.
    * Ikea oil cloth- who knew? Must go there ASAP (but only on week days, DMC.)
    * Which magazine could it be?- There was a fabulous MMMC one in the last Real living....
    * Snufkin / Moomin confusion- utter foolishness.
    Perhaps your next post can be in braille?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Is it too late to count me in? Still swooning over the tulip fabric- gorgeous. Loving your oilcloth makeovers, have my own oilcloth and staplegun plans brewing over here. Moomin cups are awesome. melx

    ReplyDelete
  24. hmm - I wonder if your online store was the same one as mine? (mine arrived less well wrapped than I'd expected, with a bit of wrapping paper I'd ordered [that they described as being carefully folded]roughly folded, bent, and a little damp)... but everything else was fine, though the bonus gift I was expecting after reading her blog wasn't there... (tell me, was it the same store???)
    love your giveaway, and I'm a fan of your moomin cups too!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I was watching the Moomin last night on tv, they're so sweet. Everytime I watch an episode I think of you.
    I usually start my Christmas shopping on december 23. In the afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh you big tease, i want an au par, for the school run as i no longer have any children left at home during the day, i wan an Italian Manny, not asking too much?? I really want one for when my husband next deploys to Afghanistan, it's 9 months, me, 4 children & all that sport & school travel + cooking dinner. Maybe i should have 2 au pars?? You'd think i'd get used to it, being his 5th war zone & all?? Love Posie

    ReplyDelete