I'm also thinking there must be some acceptable monetary limit one should abide by when one ventures into the Charity Shop World. I'd like to know what that monetary limit is, for next time. Because, I came home with $60 worth of, let's be honest, crappola. Having said that, I love it all!
Be that as it may, these are the things I left behind ... tomorrow I'll show you the things I hauled home.
A Diana Pottery 'Nefertiti' tea pot. I left it in situ.
A wooden letter rack which could have been painted. I walked away.
Glass delftish jars from Belgium. I've seen some on Etsy recently. Not today, Ladies.
Eee-oor, so sore.
Better Homes New Cookbook? Better leave that for someone else.
Nice pictures though.
A moment in the Op Shop, a lifetime on the shelf in the MMMC house.
Sometimes I flick through the oil paintings and wonder if I'm overlooking an early masterpiece by an Australian-renowned ...
And then I see something like the above, and I remind myself I should go to a swanky gallery if I want to invest in art. Eery.
A large shadow box or smallish dolls' house. It was only $10! I turned on my heels.
I had this fellow in my hands and I carried him about the shop, but put him back when I thought "$15?! Who's that Cockney jive-talker think she's fooling?"
A stainless steel and tile Japanese cheese platter. A steal. Yes. For me? No.
A bit of Snoop doggy...
Some kitchsy dogguses ... there I am in the mirror! Pesky woman needs a haircut!
A sweet fairy plate. I'll leave that on the (sh)elf!
Hoity-toity boidies ...
Tea towels and a bow tie. We love bow ties around here. But not today.
I did return for one of the above items. Can you guess which one?
PS I haven't forgotten the Giveaway! Giveaway! Giveaway!
PPS Thank you for all the nice wishes for Grandma. You're all really very kind.
















You chose a teatowel didnt you a WA one? lol I dunno do tell.
ReplyDeleteArent some of the opshop prices crazy? A couple in this town annoy me with the way they price.Some of their clothes are ridiculous too.Looking forwrad to seeing what you took home.
I hope it was the clown toy!!!
ReplyDeleteIt wasn't that hideous china bird was it? ;) Those biscuits in the book look like some demented housewife's put them through the trouser press. Maybe the Singing Cockney LIKES all "her" treasures and hopes the prices will mean no one will take them away from her? Are you now known to her as the Lurking Lawyer With iPhone??? x
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping it was the cookbook....? That tea pot look awfully familiar...
ReplyDeleteI love this post...sometimes I walk around op-shops with my mouth wide open at the prices they've scribbled on things (and it's usually in permanent marker on the front of something particularly lovely!)
ReplyDeleteToday though, I spent 19.95 on one vase and felt sick about it (it's a gorgeous Vlasta vase but I still felt sick for being sucked-in and paying that that much) Then my daughter and I went to Ikea and when I looked at the prices they were charging (for chipboard cr--!) I immediately felt much better.
Well, thanks for the opportunity to get that off my chest. Hope you went back for the clown btw.
hhmmmm, perhaps you managed to get the price down on that toy? or the cookbook? i like that one a lot.
ReplyDeletelots of great treasures on that hunt.
Was it the print where the lady is separated from her arms? Armless in the Mist by some art therapy student???
ReplyDeleteTheres absolutely no way that I could have walked out without the letter holder, dolls house, and tea towels. My guess is the dolls house?
ReplyDeleteI know how much you love vintage fisher price so im guessing the clown. Belated birthday wishes to Grandma - she is gorgeous!
ReplyDeletex
I'd have gone back for the leetle donkee, leetle donkee on the dusty road. That looks like an excellent ope shope. Albeit stupidly overpriced. Can't wait to see what you brought home!
ReplyDeleteI think you got those tea towels so you could recover a chair with them. I'm on the edge of my seat wondering what you bought!
ReplyDeleteCome on, put us out of our misery!!
ReplyDeleteMy pick would have been the letter rack. I like painting things.
ReplyDeleteYou didn't get any of the paintings, that's the only thing I'm sure of. The Japanese cheese platter? Eeeehhh....
(Come here if you need a haircut, my bearded flower fairy just cut my hair, again. Makes me feel so brave.)
You hit the motherload of treasures Momma....
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you managed to walk away from the letter rack.
ReplyDeleteI didn't know japan has a cheese, much less a plate for it. Your degree really makes a difference between me and you I guess.
Dear Carmel,
ReplyDeleteI would have taken the letter rack... but, hmm, you've taken the tea towels to upholster your chairs, don't you?!
xo Ariane.
You Readers love an Op Shop, don't you? They are fun! I've now realised I actually brought more than one of the above items home. Maths is not what's given me street cred.
ReplyDeleteThis Op Shop is the Salvation Army Depot at Red Hill if anyone in Brisbane's interested.
I'm soooo relieved you walked on by those tragic oil daubs.
ReplyDeleteMy positive vibes go with the doll's house and the letter rack.
Although, cutey donkey could well have had me reaching for the credit card.
I certainly would have been tempted to hit singing greedy cockney shop lady over the head with the teapot.
I vote go back for the letter rack, love it! And I am a sucker for anything pretty and fairy too... I just did a big op shop drop today though, two bags and a box, so I was very good and didn't go in to avoid bringing home anymore pretty crapolla!
ReplyDeleteI'd of grabbed those tea towels!
ReplyDeleteGrrr, I dislike overpriced op shops... Though they make me all the more determined to find at least one good score - one item that they have mistakenly believed to have no value to anyone. And then I come home happy.
ReplyDeleteY'know, I'm pretty sure you didn't return to buy the "Sexy woman's back with rose and fog" artwork, which is a pity, because you could have demonstrated your superior art connoisseurship and donated it to this cracker of a museum: http://www.museumofbadart.org/...
ReplyDeletePS. I bet you fell for that ceramic donkey
God! I hope you bought the shadow box!
ReplyDeleteI picked up that blue ceramic bird on the branch a hundred times and eventually left without it. I'm sure Anna Spiro could do a little still life thingy and make it look very chic, but in my hands it would just look like a kitsch nanna-ish dust collector.
ReplyDeleteThat cookbook is gorgeous. Is that the item? If not, could you return and buy it for me? ;)
ReplyDeleteOr do you mean with the 'lifetime on the MMMC house'-comment that you did buy it? I'm confused now...
ReplyDelete